• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 11VT Bolt handle

Rookie616

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2014
Hey guys, I have new, larger, bolt handle that I got for my Savage 11VT that I am trying to install. I'm having issues with removing the bolt handle retaining bolt. As I'm sure plenty of you guys know, it's a pain in the balls trying to remove this bolt for the first time to install a new bolt handle. I've already tried putting the bolt in a vice and getting some extra leverage to crack the bolt for the first time.

Anyways this is why I'm coming to you guys; any advice or tips on how to remove a stubborn bolt? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

I bought a large t-handle allen wrench and held it between my feet and stepped on it bolt/wrench, it eventually broke free. You may try to tighten a bit first to break the seal. I still have the wrench but don't have a savage anymore if you want it.

If you put the bolt in a vise with some kind of soft jaws its pretty simple with a socketed allen set. First time I did mine pretty stiff but now I can do it between my legs. It's a little easier if you decock the bolt not necessary.
lefty loosey righty tighty

It does eventually break free and there are some Youtube vids that can help out.

Place allen wrench in BAS (bolt assembly screw) so that, looking at everything from the BAS, the bolt handle is on the left and the allen wrench is at a 90-120 degree angle to it on the right.

Place both on a piece of wood or scrap carpet.

Place foot on bolt and smoothly apply your weight.

It WILL break loose...

Cordless impact. Rocked it forward and reverse a couple times and broke loose with ease. Be sure to put it in and torque it by had. Cordless impact will over tighten and strip your Allen head