• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12 Benchrest Barrel Swap- recommendations?

littlerascal56

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2008
Land of OZ-Kansas
Just bought this Savage 12 Benchrest in .308. I was wanting a 6mm, but they are impossible to find right now. I have sold off all my .308 reloading stuff, and wanted to play with the 6mm's.

This is my first Savage, so I am learning. I need to order a barrel nut wrench and action wrench this weekend, as well as a headspace gauge for .243.

I am guess this is a "large" shank barrel, since it is a target rifle? It has a 29" factory tube, and was only fired 8 times TOTAL.

I would like to find a .243 or 6mm barrel that is "in stock", as I don't want to wait several months for a custom. Does anyone know where you can get a large shank barrel fairly quickly?

DSC04550.jpg

DSC04548.jpg

DSC04547.jpg

Re: Savage 12 Benchrest Barrel Swap- recommendations?

Call Jim at Northland shooter supply. He probably has something in stock and ready to go. I do believe that it is a large shank, but I bet Jim can tell you that too. If you can't find it with a Google search, check on savageshooter site and I bet you can find a link there.