• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12 LRP

Wyoming Drifter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2012
Wyoming
I bought this rifle new in a Creedmore a month ago and yesterday I sent it back to Savage.
After 150 rnds of extensive experimenting I decided there was no hope for it. Hopefully they will agree and replace the barrel. Technical support seemed to think i have a lagitamate complaint after explaining my equipment and back ground in the Benchrest world.
I have lurked on this site many evenings and feel privaleged to be in the midst of such knowledge. Soooo, my question is, is it a long shot to hope for a factory rifle like this to consistantly snipe coyotes at ranges of 400 to 600 yds ? I work as a cop by trade but my second income is predator control work for large cattle ranches here in Wyoming. With the growing sport of calling/hunting these animals they have become wise and non responsive to distress calls in some areas and this is where my job becomes tough. I see many educated dogs hang up, barking and watching your every move at the above ranges. Some are wondering why not trap em. I do where i can, but this time of yr with calving the cowboys usually have their cattle dogs along and I've had enough ass chewins in that area.

All thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Drifter

PS: Savage rifle $970
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST $700
Luepold bases & rings $80

Re: Savage 12 LRP

Let the Savage hate begin ?

A friend has one in 260 and shoots great on small steel,[8''plates] out thru 1000yds,maybe just a bad one,it happen's ? Most of our group use custom bbl's but,read great things about out of the box Savage's.

I have 2 savage 10's both shot great. They do like my hand loads better than factory ammo tho. Wait and see what savage will do, could be just a factory cull.

Drifter,

You didn't explain how the gun was failing you and what you tried to fix things, so it is hard to offer advise there. (i.e. scope tight, action screws tight, etc).

I have heard Savage support is pretty good, so hopefully they send you back a 12 LRP that works like the rest. IF they do that, I think you will be in good shape.

I have the same 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmore as you. From what I can, tell it is a .5 MOA gun with factory ammo. I was hitting 4" gongs last weekend at 440 yards consistently, a 12 oz water bottle at 610 yards, 12"x20" gongs at 660, 710, 760, consistently. As long as I read the wind correctly, nothing on the range was safe. At 200 yards, I was getting sub 1" groups. The gun seems to shoot at .5 MOA

Good Luck... Hopefully Savage resolves your issue. The 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmore can be a terrific gun.

Thanks guys for the imput. I guess what i'm most concerned with is the accuracy. At 100yds I'm lucky to keep 5 under 1 1/2". The main reason I went with this setup is it was not hard on the wallet compared to a custom build and I was hoping to use either the Amax or VLD's in the 140's for the BC's because we do get our share of wind up here. This barrel will not stop copper fouling which is understandable when pushing patches thru, it's far from a nice smooth stroke. I would love to be able to use RL17 with Fed 210M (because I have lots of both)and either of these tips. Initial testing over my Ohler gave me 2750 plus with no pressure signs at all.

On a positive note, my call to Customer service gave me hope because they did actually seem concerned and said they will check it out, shoot it and make it right if it doesnt meet their 1" garrantee (which of course is with factory ammo). They sent UPS out with a call tag the very next day and said it normally takes 2 to 3 weeks for the turn around, which to me is very good service. I was leery of the accu crap trigger, but I guess they put a target model trigger on this model set @ 1 lb. and I must say I can live with this.

Factory ammo seemed to work okay in mine...

Hornady 120 A-Max factory ammo:

2011-04-20_1.jpg

2011-04-20_2.jpg

2011-04-20_3.jpg

2011-04-20_4.jpg

2011-04-20_5-1.jpg

2011-04-20_6-1.jpg

2011-04-20_7-1.jpg

2011-04-20_8-1.jpg

(dropped that one shot low, dammit!)

The AccuTrigger works just fine.

I just broke in a new Savage 110 FCP HS Precision today and was getting groups around 1/2" with Federal GameShok. I am shooting 300 win mag and it is not quite the same rifle - but I know that a factory Savage can do much better than what you are stating.

Of course, there is no accuracy guarantee with Savage, but maybe they will notice something on a bore scope to substantiate your lack of accuracy and give you a new barrel. I have heard of stock lugs coming loose - did you check to see that your stock was fixed tightly to your action?

Proper break in will promote easier cleaning in the future and a minimum of copper fouling.

I shoot 1 shot then clean for the first 5.
2 sets of 2 shots.
2 sets of 3 shot groups.
one more 5 shot group.

The cleaning between each set consists of a boresnake with a little hoppes for 2 pulls, some CR-10 to get rid of copper fouling for 3 pulls, and 2 pulls after a little spray of Rem oil behind the brush on the boresnake. It is time consuming but your rifle will clean up much easier in the future and sometimes this will help clean out anything left behind from machining and make the gun more accurate.

I wish I could buy it off of you! Don't give up on Savage... the target rifles are the best deal out there. I hope they right it with you and you love it as much as I do my 12 Palma

Thanks SGT, but yes the first thing i do when taking a new rifle out of the box is take the stock off and wipe clean and check for any imperfections or accuracy inhibitors.

Savage Tech did say if it doent shoot 1" or better they would see what the problem is and if it's the barrel they would replace it.

I totally agree with breaking in a new barrel. I dont go past 2 or maybe 3 until it quits fouling. This barrel was not giving in lol.

For sure - pretty common knowledge for us accuracy inclined shooters, but I thought I would ask anyway. I hope Savage makes it right - I have had good experiences with their customer service although it was only sending an extractor for my .22lr.

I later found out that I bought a lot of CCI subsonics that had a little too much moly on the bullets and it built up in my chamber. Thanks anyway, Savage!

Oh I dont think i'll give up so easily Tpb. Like I said earlier I've been hiding in the weeds reading and reading about these rifles here on Snipers Hide and the trend seems to be they can be made to shoot. If all else fails I'll send it to Dowling in Co or Randy Selby here by Yellowstone and have a new tube installed. Dowling has built several benchrest guns for me through the yrs and when he hears I bought a factory gun he'll probably call me a fibber lol.