• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12 VLP or Remington 700 VLS

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have put in order in for a Savage 12 VLP in 308. It's stainless w/ laminate stock. I have also noticed the dealer has a Remington 700 VLS in 308. It's satin blued w/ laminate stock. I've been a Remmy guy all my life, so if I get the Savage, it will be my first. I have a 250 yard range out my back door, and I have access to a 500 yard range at a buddy's house. I love the bolt guns. The dealer told me to take my time deciding. Im having a tough time, which way should I go?

Re: Savage 12 VLP or Remington 700 VLS

I am very partial to Savage. I have owned many different rifles from many different manufacturers, including Remingtons. Savage is by far the most accurate rifles I have ever owned or shot.

DK

Im going to guess that you have been a Remington guy all your life for good reason, and that should answer your own question
wink.gif

I was really impressed with my FN-SPRA1. I shot my first sub-1/2" 5-shot group with it, shooting Federal Gold Match. I had $1250 in just the rifle alone.

I had $1100 in my Savage 10FPLE with the entire setup of rifle, optics, and all accessories complete. That rifle got me to my first 1/4" 5-shot group shooting freakin cheap ol Ultramax ammo.

I have been shooting Savage ever since...

DK

If you think you'd enjoy being able to smile when you tell the custom gun guys at your range you are able to change barrels and calibers on your kitchen table and shoot right with them at the matches then go for the Savage. We put together two this summer and can't find any reason to have put together anything else. Great guns for the money, just because they are still somewhat inexpensive and don't need a Smith to work on them they still don't get the respect from many shooters.

If you are sold on the 308 then go for it since it'll get the job done in good shape but I'm sure you've read the 6.5mm calibers are a bit better for the longer range matches.

Topstrap

topstrap you said best i cant top you lol
get the savage. you wont be dissapointed.
my 6.5 creedmoor i put together last fall. it regularly shoots into 1/4 moa if i do my part.

P9084690.jpg

Have owned Remington's,Ruger's,Winchester's and Savages over the past 30 years. All of them produced some pretty accurate rifles, but today there's only Savages in my safe.I currently have 9 of them because I've found in my experiences they are hard to beat out of the box for a production rifle. Savage has just step up to offer a greater selection IMO for the long range shooter than the other manufacturers. I'm not flaming the other manufacturers, just what works for me.