• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12FV 6.5CM

Acp

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2022
NC
These were a Cabela’s special a few years back and sold for a few hundred at one point. Anybody had experience tinkering with one and any favorable outcomes?

No experience with that particular model, but typical Savage.
Shoots good, feeds and extracts like shit.

Reactions: Acp
I’ve been running one for about 4 years. Upgraded the barrel pretty quickly to a shilen in 6gt and put it in an mpa chassis. Gun ran fine, honestly one of the better running savages I have seen, no ejection issues at all. last year I finally got to the point where it cost me a couple points here and there so I upgraded but it was a great starter gun. Got it for like $100 on cabelas Black Friday sale plus I had some gift cards and points.

Totally depends on your budget and what you want to do with it. If your budget allows I would skip it and get something better, if it doesn’t try it. My experience wasn’t bad but ymmv.

I'm running a Savage 10 FCP/SR in 6.5 CM and it has never missed a lick in >1K rounds. Shoots sub MOA consistently and pleases me greatly. Never had the FTF or FTE Nightmares others have reported. It is not silky smooth and fast but it shoots lights out - after rebate and selling the original Accu-Stock and bottom metal (I put it in an MDT Chassis) I think I have about $250 in the barreled action.

FinalBuildwithVortexGE.jpg

The action and barrel are about 4 years old at this time and I'd do it all again. Seriously, if the economy improves and I get some spending cash (retired) I *really* wanna build another rifle using a Savage in .338 LM and use the same recipe I did with my 6.5 CM.

YMMV.

VooDoo

Reactions: gigamortis and Acp
Accurate, feeding on mine always required a bit of a pause, but otherwise OK. Mine ejected just fine. Swap bolt heads and barrels and you can have your choice of calibers. My .223 started life as a 6.5 CM, then it was a 7 Saum, now a .223 and probably my most accurate rifle to 600 yards. Pretty much one hole at 100 with black hills 77 smk.

I put one in a MDT XRS and had great results. Shot around a half inch with all the ammo I put through it. Had slight issues with ejection every once and a while

Attachments

• CE0FB11B-660F-4D2A-93D6-8C1ED4FD4ECB.jpeg
    CE0FB11B-660F-4D2A-93D6-8C1ED4FD4ECB.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 45
Back in the day, before I knew any better, I picked up 5 of them for $225 each after the rebates. I would then sell off the barrel for $100. Stupid cheap way to get a receiver to play with. They have all been re-barreled with X-Cal sticks, put into a cheap chassis, and shoot better than me.

Flash forward and now I have some much better actions, but none really shoot any better than what the 12FVs can do. Quality control across the 12FVs did vary. Some of the machining in the actions is obviously worse than others, but all of them slickened up over time. They can be fussy with loading/ejecting but I don't rush them and they get the job done.

I learned a lot from stripping them down and playing with them over the years. Even though I have way more rifles than I possibly need I can't bring myself to get rid of them. They will be handed down to my future generations as their first "real" rifle.

IMG_20190615_155535.jpg

IMG_20190728_161107 (1).jpg

IMG_20220425_180733 (1).jpg

Seems like for the money they’re not too shabby for a fun project, just a little limited on stock/chassis options seems to be the only downside

What are you guys doing to go to magazine feed from the standard blind configuration?

What are you guys doing to go to magazine feed from the standard blind configuration?
If you put it in a chassis, you can run AICS mags.

Not sure if anyone makes bottom metal for the factory stocks, but that’s what you would need.

Atlasworx (AICS pattern) and Accurate-Mag (and I think PTG) offer bottom metal for Savages.

The factory 12FV stock is a piece of tupperware junk, and hampered by the blind mag. MDT always has nice Black Friday sales on 2nd hand stock. I would avoid a Boyd's wood stock as I feel the ones milled out for DBM don't have enough meat left to hold together.

The factory 12FV stock is a piece of tupperware junk, and hampered by the blind mag. MDT always has nice Black Friday sales on 2nd hand stock. I would avoid a Boyd's wood stock as I feel the ones milled out for DBM don't have enough meat left to hold together.
Yes, the factory stock is a borderline strange composition, and feels all kinds of odd in general. Thanks for the MDT recommendation.

Ive moved onto tikkas, most likely forever, but I got a savage 10 fcp at cabelas years ago for around $350 and that thing was nasty accurate... For the money, you can't beat a savage.

I do prefer the shorter bolt throw and smoother action of the tikkas, but savage isnt to be taken lightly, they shoot great.

My buddy bought one in 6.5 creedmoor a few years ago. He took a dremel to the stock and opened it way up. It is very flimsy plastic so a lot of material needs to be removed to keep the barrel floating. It took a couple boxes of ammo and a few cleanings to settle the barrel in, but when it did it shoots as good as anything.

He kept it like that for the first couple years and then dropped it into the cheaper MDT stock so he can run AI mags. Savages have the worst blind mag configuration of any rifle I have seen. They load from the center so its a pain in the ass. He did have ejection issues and had to purchase the ejector kit. The kit comes with an ejector thats too damn long which will not allow the action to mag feed. He filed the ejector down and it runs well. Its still a Savage though. I would rather have anything else.