• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 93R17 bedding in Boyds TR stock

oldfatguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
In the process of replacing the plastic stock my 93R17 FV. Have the Boyds tactical stock & trigger guard in hand and the bottom metal with longer action screws on the way from DIP.

Unlike the original plastic stock, there is a considerable gap between the action screw bosses and the inside of the stock so it looks like pillars are the way to go. There is a good write-up at: http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/savage-93r17tr-proper-bedding.html.

From his experience it looks like a good idea to go ahead and replace much of the wood between the magazine and trigger opennings with Devcon. Does this make sense?

OFG

Re: Savage 93R17 bedding in Boyds TR stock

Nice find. Jerz, do you remember how long the front pillar was? I'm planning on pillar bedding my stock as well using my friend's bedding compound, which is I guess ITW Devcon Titanium Putty, since it's the only compound that has titanium. Interesting how that'll go.

No, I don't remember how long to front pillar is, sorry. I measured, fit, filed, measured, fit, etc etc.

30a7t4p.jpg

I bedded my FV SR in a similar way. I didn't remove the front lug.