• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Savage 99 suppressor host

hunter121

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Washington
Well I love leverguns and have been wanting to do a savage 99 with my own ideas of the perfect hunting rifle and came up with what is below. I went ahead and had it threaded for a suppressor as well. I was basicly going for lightweight, short, durable and of course lots of grip since it rains a lot during the hunting seasons up here. Still need to find another AAC mount for it so I can use my 762sd but I think one of the templar titanium cans would make a nice addition.

Work done by JD at HSSS

-Cut barrel back to 16"
-make sleeve for end of barrel to thread 5/8-24 for suppressor
-Clean up all the rust and pitting
-Clean and smooth up the action- do a function check
-Parkerize every thing that he can
-I also had him give me a moderate big loop lever by extending to stock one.
-New stock set from cabelas which I refinished with my own technique of useing spray on truck bedliner and grit sand.

Re: Savage 99 suppressor host

That is pretty slick, you know we are going to need some vids right?

Well I am not that technologically advanced, took me along time to do pictures. I am about to rob one of my other mounts so I can send a few down range though, its driving me nuts.

are you able to chamber a new round with the lever while prone using the bipod or do you have to raise the stock up to work the action?

I like it outside the box, tactical levergun and not that hideous Mossberg creation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you able to chamber a new round with the lever while prone using the bipod or do you have to raise the stock up to work the action? </div></div>

To be honest I was mainly useing the bipod for the pictures to help keep the rifle where I wanted it. When in use it will have a sling only.

Re: Savage 99 suppressor host(NICE!)

I have a Savage 99 C in .308 and just got a Cabela's stock. Not happy with its shape and poorly formed pistol grip-to-lever gap but I'll keep it until I find better.

The Savage 99 action is likely THE strongest lever action ever made, Browning BLRs, Winchester 88s and Sako Finnwolfs notwhitstanding.

I had a BLR for years and sold it to get a 99 and I'm very happy.

I'm now rebarreling my 99 in a 5R hexagonal barrel and doing the same for my Ruger 96/22mag "little brother" rifle. I want a matched pair.

The savage 99 has always been my favorite lever gun. I bet that thing's a blast with the can on it

litehiker - My gunsmith did say that he had to do some work to the stock to get it to fit reasonably well. Sounds like your going to have a nice set when you get done, hope you post some pictures when its all done I would like to see them.

Ajwcotton - still have not been able to get a can on it yet, been busy hunting which finally paid off tonight and got me a 4x4 mulie!! I am trying to get some funds raised to get in on the templar GB here as I think one of there cans would be perfect for this rifle.