• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage A-trigger woes ... Rifle Basix or other?

Snakum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Sandhills
Wazzup ma' niggles? Long time no read.

Got to shoot today for the first time since I started the new job. My bro was in Fayettenam for the weekend and he brought his AK and Cetme and some other stuff, so I broke out the Salvage to check my zero for tomorrow (going to the big range tomorrow AM). I haven't done anything but move it around and take it apart and paint it and move it some more and he still shot under an inch for five with a crappy setup ... lying the rifle across a lawn chair while kneeling. Love the damn thing. But that trigger lock up thing is driving me nuts. About every ten rounds the trigger locks up tight and I have to recock a few times to clear it. I have read that it's an issue with some of the Accutriggers and could be solved by increasing the pull. I'm up to about 4 pounds and I still get the lock up. I love the feel of the accutrigger: very crisp, almost zero over travel, sweet. But I'm sick of fighting the lockup issue. Soooooo ...

I know the Rifle Basix triggers are well thought of, but what other triggers have you fellow Salvage fans tried and liked?

Re: Savage A-trigger woes ... Rifle Basix or other?

love the sig first of all. second, i would speak with savage. let them know its been an issue since it was new and see what they will do to help you out. never had an issue or touched mine at all since i bought the rifle.

I installed the Rifle Basix in my Savage in about 3 minutes and had it adjusted for a very clean break with no creep in about another two minutes. Give it a try.

Adjusting trigger pull isn't the fix. I just posted this on the savege forum for someone having the same issue - I had it too, keyword <span style="font-style: italic">had</span>:
"When you pull the action take a look at the firing pin release lever(the part that the trigger holds back when the trigger is cocked - hope I am making that clear) hinge pin to make sure it is in all the way. That is always what has caused that problem with mine. Its never been because the trigger is set too light. Heck, the Law Enforcement trigger goes a full pound lower than the A-trigger on your model and the problem is no more prevalent on it.
What happens if the hinge pin is not all the way in is in cants that release lever to the point that it doesn't fully arm and therefore doesn't fully cock the bolt.
What you can do to prevent it in the future is to put something in the stock as a filler/spacer to hold that hinge pin in all the way, like hot glue, rtv,  or best would be to fill the area with epoxy and use a dremel to inlet it more precisely.
Also, grease that hinge pin and the little v-groove on the trigger itself for a more crisp trigger."

In the pic from the savagearms.com link you posted it is the sear that I'm talking about, and the hinge pin that holds it. Sometimes there is just enough room in the stock to allow it to slide out enough to the point that it can become canted. And as you bring the bolt down, instead of the sear staying latched in the groove on the trigger it slips and stops against the accu-release . That is why the indicator on the bolt looks like it is only half-cocked.
That hinge pin needs only to slide out about 1/16" or so for this problem to develop. I use hoppes grease on that hinge pin, the accu-release, and that entire area of the trigger that the sear slides on.

And here all this time I thought it was caused by not pulling straight back on the accu-trigger.
Thanks for the tip

Snakum,
Just call Savage, on a trigger they will take care of it and you won't even drop a dime on shipping. I to like the AccuTrigger better than all that I've ever had to use on issued rifles. I have mine set to 2 1/2 lbs. and have done my own little testing to get the sear to block, mine takes a real "bump" to get it to happen.

The reason I say call Savage it another member of my former unit went out and got a Savage after shooting the one I was given, he thought th sear was getting locked a little too easy at 2 lbs. and Savage dealt with it with a four day turn around.

If savage can get it from you and back to you in a few days then I say go for it. But that's surely not the case. I say learn how the bolt/trigger operate on your own so you can see how to fix it yourself. IMO, this little problem is not worth being without your rifle for a month.

Re: Savage A-trigger woes ... Rifle Basix or other

Thanks for the info. I took it out Sunday for a couple hours and the thing just shoots so sweetly (and accurately). I love the trigger's feel so I'd like to fix it if possible. Next weekend I'll make time to pull the action and look at it.

I have a Rifle Basix Sav2 and its good. But the drop in Sharp Shooters Supply is better

I get the A-trigger woes if I don't push forward hard enough upon chambering a round. Very, VERY, annoying.

That and the fact that the action is about as smooth as a sand paper dildo are my only gripes.

Never had any problems with my accu-triggers. Next build will include a Evolution trigger from Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply. Hope everything works out for you. I've heard nothing but good things about dealing with the factory. I've been lucky though, knock on wood.

I have a Rifle Basix SAV1 trigger in one rifle and the Sharp Shooters Supply trigger in another.

I was able to get a very good trigger pull with the Rifle Basix but it took several adjustments and a lot of loc-tite. The SSS trigger was easier to adjust and has a smoother pull with both set at the same weight.

SSS comp trigger is the way to go. And it is like 97 bucks. Very reasonable and a great/easy trigger to install.