• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage A17 .17 Mach 2 suppressed

psdan000

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
Ohio
During the great ammo scare of 2020 I acquired a bunch of .17 mach 2 ammo for my savage MkII just so I had something fun and cheaper to shoot other than .22LR. Last week I was able to get my hands on a new Savage A17 in mach 2. I've never shot this caliber in a semi auto platform, I know ruger had some issues with it in the 10/22. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular rifle and suppressing it? I went ahead and dropped it off to be threaded, but wasn't sure if adding the suppressor would cause any issues on this semi auto. Appreciate any input!

Sent the question into savage and here was their response:

MJ (Savage Arms, Inc)
Apr 28, 2022, 12:08 PM EDT
We haven't tested the firearms with suppressors so we would not have the data to support if it would perform or not with one installed. Threading the barrel would void the warranty of the firearms as well.
Technical Services

• Wow
Reactions: jb0311
I have one I getting threaded in 2 weeks. I'm cutting to 16.5. "I believe" that but shorting the barrel will help realign the timing and also be handier with the can on. The delayed action will take to a suppressor just fine. I watch a video of a 17hmr version cut and threaded and the are having no issues. I'll have truev1st hand knowledge in about 3 weeks.

As for Savage, they do not offer or plan of offering a threaded version to my knowledge so their answer was predictable. Once you modify in anyway its all on you from that point on.

Update may 11

Barrel is being done now and will be shooting next week.

Last edited:
...Update...

I have a couple hundred threw the rifle, all suppressed. I ended up with a shitty trigger no matter how I modded it so was lucky to happen across a like new used 1.5lbs Jard trigger, love it. Have a MDT LSS but won't work with Jard so same guy that had the Jard is selling the factory chassis so I'm buying a used Savage Precision chassis. Topped it with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20×50. Haven't grouped it but it has taken 150 or so gophers out to 125 yards. It runs perfect with the 16.25 barrel and suppressor. Used just locksmith dry lube on bolt. Ounce in the chassis it'll be all set. So far my olny wish is that it had the HB for balance.

Reactions: psdan000
Nodak I ended up getting mine threaded before I even shot it, I've only shot around 50 rounds or so, all suppressed...had on hiccup on the very first mag but didn't have any issues after that. Groupings were about as expected 1.25-1.5 at 100 yards, not bad but not great. The rifle is very pleasant to shoot with a suppressor. I did not have the barrel shortened on mine, kept it the factory length. Hopefully get some more time with it soon, but so far so good. Glad you are having good luck with yours as well!

I should have mention a few misfeeds on first two mags. When I had mine shortened and threaded I used a local machine shop that has threaded several for me before. This time a different guy did it and I had to clean up the crown at home. I used a rubber grit bit in my dremel. I'm sure that made some here shit a Yugo but it worked great. I didn't trust him to touch it again. I'll verify it's the GTG old dude next time ad they are under half price of anywhere.

I can tell a huge difference in the report between true subsonic and slightly supersonic 22lr ammo when shot suppressed. When shot unsuppressed, they sound the same to my ears. Is the suppressed Mach 2 really that quiet? I would expect not. Just asking. My Savage mkii in 17 Mach 2 is one of my top favorite squirrel rifles. But, it is not threaded.

It's definitely not sub-sonic quiet, you'll still hear the supersonic crack. But it definitely tames it down quite a bit. No issues shooting without ear protection. I would say its just about the same as shooting .22lr supersonics suppressed.

It's definitely not sub-sonic quiet, you'll still hear the supersonic crack. But it definitely tames it down quite a bit. No issues shooting without ear protection. I would say its just about the same as shooting .22lr supersonics suppressed.
Thank you. That was my expectation as well.