• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage - Accustock vs. HS Precision

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    I'm about to lay a down a deposit on a Savage rifle and was wondering if the $ 100.00 difference in my price between a Long Range Hunter ( Accustock ) and a Long Range Precision was worth paying.
    Standing by for incoming!

Re: Savage - Accustock vs. HS Precision

Hey Cap...

What do you plan on using it for? That will help narrow down the choice a bit better.

They are both great... just different.

Mostly a bench or prone rifle. I don't see walking the woods with either one.
    Here's are what I'm looking at:
    Long Range Hunter w/ Adjustable Cheekrest on Accustock
    11longrangehunter.png

Long Range Precision w/ HS Precision Stock
    12lrp.png

I got the Savage 12 LRP 260 and this rifle is built solid. It's a good shooter. What caliber are you looking at? The target action and the target accu trigger are GREAT. That alone is worth the extra money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptNemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mostly a bench or prone rifle. I don't see walking the woods with either one.
    Here's are what I'm looking at:
    Long Range Hunter w/ Adjustable Cheekrest on Accustock
    11longrangehunter.png

Long Range Precision w/ HS Precision Stock
    12lrp.png
    </div></div>

So much for sniping their bandwidth with hot links...

I'm wanting a 6.5 Creedmoor. The factory Honady ammo looks like a winner until I get enough brass to reload it.

The ergonomics of the HS are designed for the type of shooting you want to do, the Accustock is a nice stock but I couldn't get comfortable behind mine. YMMV

...it looks like there is a HS Precision model in 6.5 CM listed on their site...

...also, if you visit the site the will hotlinks work...
    eek.gif
    laugh.gif

Perhaps consider selling the Accustock and going the middle road with a Bell n Carlson varmint. Got one on my 20", love the stock, solid feel, didn't break the bank.

I have an old model Accustock Savage 10PC (Accu-wedge model) and although it is a lot better then the crappy plastic stocks that Savage normally drops their rifles into, It is not even close to the quality of an HS Precision stock. If I could, I would replace the stock on this rifle but I don't think it's possible.

Bottom line, I would absolutely go with the HS Precision. Partly because even if you decide to change stocks in the future they still have great resale value.

That LRP with the HS Precision is the way to go. I have been trying to sell the HS Precision stock off mine and I have it listed in the for sale section but it seems everyone needs a long action and mine is a short action. GREAT stock but I prefer a vertical grip style stock. I even added the Karsten Cheek rest to it. You will definately like the Savage 12 LRP.

Get the LRP. I almost bought a LRH myself, but went with an FTR instead. I've never shot a more accurate gun in my entire life, and the LRP is just the tactical version of the FTR. Both are model 12's, and both will blow you away.

If you're not going to hunt with the rifle, definitely go with the LRP. Heck, even if you were going to hunt with it, I think I'd still take the LRP myself. Good luck!

Not really much for Savage, but I would definitely go with the LRP.

Savage really put a lot of thought into the LRP. You won't have any problem stretching the C.O.A.L. to reach the lands and still be able to fit into the magazine. So far the 140 grn. Bergers w/ IMR4350 & RL-17 are working out GREAT in my LRP 260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old model Accustock Savage 10PC (Accu-wedge model)... If I could, I would replace the stock on this rifle but I don't think it's possible.
    </div></div>

It is possible. Just because the wedge is there, doesn't mean you have to use it. The action block is really nice in the way it sandwiches the action, but a properly done bedding job will render the same benefits.

As long as the stock is for the 4.4" spacing and detachable magazine factory inlet, you are good to go with any stock you choose.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That LRP with the HS Precision is the way to go. I have been trying to sell the HS Precision stock off mine and I have it listed in the for sale section but it seems everyone needs a long action and mine is a short action. GREAT stock but I prefer a vertical grip style stock. I even added the Karsten Cheek rest to it. You will definately like the Savage 12 LRP. </div></div>

Was adding the Karsten cheekpiece more difficult than laying out & drilling 2 holes then bolting it together ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptNemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was adding the Karsten cheekpiece more difficult than laying out & drilling 2 holes then bolting it together ? </div></div>

No. They really are that simple to install. The toughest part is actually "making" yourself drill the holes in the first place.

DK

I have an accustock model and replaced it very soon after. It is a rigid stock but not comfortable to shoot prone or bench. Get the LRP, the stock is better, you get a LRP target action and the better trigger. So worth the 100 bucks.

Think about this. Accu trigger, and HS stock for $100. Thats pretty cheap in my book.

It's not only the HS Precision stock, the action is also an up grade with ejection port makes the action more ridged than the stock short action on the LRH.

I followed the advice of the hive and ordered the LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor this afternoon !
    Now, what Mounts & Rings should I be considering ?
    ETA: Scope is a 30mm Millet LRT

Have you received your rifle yet? I ordered the same thing a couple months ago, still waiting......

The Accustock is not on part with H-S precision.

Why is it that the LRP H-S Precision is <span style="font-style: italic">less</span> expensive than the Police model H-S Precision

I have the Predator Hunter Max I with the latest Accustock and Accutrigger (as of September 2011) and I like the rifle plenty. But even with a 42mm objective mounted with only about 1/16" barrel clearance, I need additional cheek weld elevation.

As a mechanical platform for the barrelled action, I think the Accustock is superb. The Karsten cheekpiece is needed for best ergonomics, and Savage is astute to provide one.

I will make do with a homemade version of a cheekezecheesie pad made from 6mm black neoprene Foamies material and their doublesided sheet adhesive film product, at an overall cost about $3.

It works, and that's good enough for my purposes.

I do find that the .260 chambering, using 140SMK's and 'nearly up there' load does tend to rock my clock a bit, so I'll be looking into ballasting the rear portion of the stock, since it's primarily a bench rifle in my hands.

In order to permit walking hunting, my approach to ballasting the rear of the stock is to open up the buttpad, insert a plastic bag, and fill the bag with buckshot that's been coated with epoxy. That way, the resulting mass is rigid but not bonded to the stock, and can be removed at will.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old model Accustock Savage 10PC (Accu-wedge model)... If I could, I would replace the stock on this rifle but I don't think it's possible.
    </div></div>

It is possible. Just because the wedge is there, doesn't mean you have to use it. The action block is really nice in the way it sandwiches the action, but a properly done bedding job will render the same benefits.

As long as the stock is for the 4.4" spacing and detachable magazine factory inlet, you are good to go with any stock you choose.

DK </div></div>

I am not sure about this. If you have some advice let me know. I to have a Savage Model 10PC and the problem is the bolt release on the trigger guard. Most all other Savage bolt releases are next to the bolt. If you know something that works with this please spread the knowledge. I cant find any stocks that work with this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vaporizer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old model Accustock Savage 10PC (Accu-wedge model)... If I could, I would replace the stock on this rifle but I don't think it's possible.
    </div></div>

DK </div></div>

I am not sure about this. If you have some advice let me know. I to have a Savage Model 10PC and the problem is the bolt release on the trigger guard. Most all other Savage bolt releases are next to the bolt. If you know something that works with this please spread the knowledge. I cant find any stocks that work with this.</div></div>

we're sure about this, the only way the bolt release location matters much is if you're changing the bottom metal. but any stock for a 4.41 action screw spacing and factory DBM, use all your factory metal and bed the damn thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HHC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hm... I thought 111 LRH has accutrigger as well as LRP...</div></div>

it does, the LRH series have the std accu trigger adjustable to 2.5lbs (average) and the LRP series has the target accutrigger adjustable to onces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RidgeAve. Rifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it that the LRP H-S Precision is <span style="font-style: italic">less</span> expensive than the Police model H-S Precision</div></div>

because the LRP isn't "tactical"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptNemo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was adding the Karsten cheekpiece more difficult than laying out & drilling 2 holes then bolting it together ? </div></div>

No. They really are that simple to install. The toughest part is actually "making" yourself drill the holes in the first place.

DK </div></div>

took 3 months and 10 minutes to drill my HS, lol

and jim at northland said there are really three triggers. the accu trigger that goes to 2.5, the one on the tacticals that go to 1.5 and the target which as mentioned goes to ounces. i only have one savage so i cant say if thats true.

but if you call savage i hear they will custom order what you want. any action in any stock with any trigger. again thats what guys on here have said in the past. my HS is nice but the A5 McM has better capacity for adjustment. by that i mean its easier to send the A5 in and get the cheek rest and adjustable LOP added than it is with the HS. the HS is hollow foam and the McM is fiberglass. one guy recently had his HS in his trunk and the heat caused the foam to split and HS wouldnt warranty it due to excessive heat damage.

So does anyone have any ACTUAL evidence against the regular accustock?
    I understand everyone wants to hate on the Tupperware looking accustock, but I've never seen any actual comparisons on accuracy with any of the stocks vs the regular accustock.

The reason I ask is my savage FCP-K came with the accustock (non-wedge) and it shoots great. I probably average somewhere around .6moa with southwest's ammo, but im sure someone more experienced and with handloads can break .5moa. So I REALLY can't imagine a factory savage,just because it is in one of their other "precision" stocks being much better than .5moa... Otherwise GAP and other custom makers would be out of business.

If its just about comfort and personal preference of the feel of the stock, then I totally understand. I am just trying to address the people that claim the regular accustock is junk and the upgraded stocks will be much more accurate.