• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage aics in bound, now with PICS

6brshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 2, 2012
    Illinois
    should have some pics and more information on what will fit the aics savage stock. As far as fit I mean different lugs, I have a couple 4.4" actions. Factory lrp, sss recoil lug and NSS lugged barreled actions to try in it. The rifle that will call it home is a model 10 stripped action that came from NSS. It wears a NSS lug and shilen select match varmint contour 26" 6.5cm. BO rail,TPS steel rings and SS 5-20. It is in a HS skim bedded stock and shoots in the hi.3s- mid .4s if caffiene is low that day. I reason I wonder about the lug is my rem aics bottomed out the holland lug, which had be milled down some. Pics to ensue with a range report.

Re: savage aics in bound

I want to see this. I might need one too LOL

Re: savage aics in bound- PICS

Got my AICS from Euro optic friday and finally got a chance to hit the range and get some pics up. Model 10 fp 4.4" side bolt release, NSS lug, shilen select match 26" 6.5 cm varmint contour, BO 20 moa rail, tps tsr rings, and SS 5-20. Barreled action is alumahyde earth brown. Pretty simple drop in if rifle was completely stock, but it isn't stock so... Factory lugs fit, as does NSS lugs. SSS recoil lugs do not fit without being milled shorter. Luckily my barreled action has a NSS lug on it. Factory accutrigger, stevens, rifle basix sav-1, and timney triggers should be drop in. SSS match and rifle basix sav-2 will need some inletting done. This barreled action has a SSS trigger on it, two options include either milling the slot the trigger shoe goes through farther back or modify the trigger.

I hated to mill on a new stock, so I clearenced the trigger. The SSS trigger is very similar in appereance to a 700, it is a 3 lever design. I pulled the trigger off the action and used a air cut off tool to nip the rear corners off. They real don't do anything but protect the different adjustment screws. As this is protected by an aluminum chassis I saw no harm. Here is a pic with the "ears" nipped off.
    [img:left]
    IMG_20121221_171443.jpg
    [/img]
    Here the action is torqued down, the tang is not floated, but after testing for stress and finding none with this action I considered it a non issue.
    IMG_20121221_172228.jpg
    [/img]
    Here is a pic showing the clearence below and in front of a NSS oversized lug [img:left]http://
    IMG_20121221_172355.jpg
    [/img]
    The completed rifle
    IMG_20121223_143911.jpg
    [/img]

Went to the range on sat, got there late and wanted to spend most of the time chronographing and testing different loads for my tikka/krieger. I started first with the savage/aics to get rezeroed, had to move scope back on the rail. This is 5 shots cold clean bore/cold shooter. The rifle typically shoots in the hi.3s-lo.4s. I was pretty happy with a .452" group.
    IMG_20121223_143617.jpg
    [/img]
    Shot another group for confirmation after scope was redoped. Ended up adding .1mrad right after this group, aiming point was the tip of the diamond(pen mark for clarification)
    IMG_20121223_143627.jpg
    [/img]

Great pictures and wright up !
    Looks like its working well judging by the groups, Nice job.
    Wish there was a way to get it to work with the bottom bolt release or I'd be all over it.

AtOne, call jim briggs at northland shooter supply or kevin rayhill at stockade. They are both savage guru's and might be able to help. I am sure the actions are the same, might be able to swap out a couple parts with the sear/side bolt release/cocking indicator piece. Thanks for the kind words and merry Christmas all.

Cool.

I have a 10 FPSR in .308 coming in, along with a Shilen 6.5CM match SS 24" barrel and one of these AICS 2.0 chassis. I'm looking forward to getting everything put together!

I am getting ready to build a new Savage model 10 on one of these. Is the tang portion of the chassis releived to allow it to float?

No it is not, i tested for stress by loosening one bolt at a time. There was very , very little barrel movement to none at all. So far i have not seen any issues. I have a Mcree that i shot before the tang was floated and after i floated the tang, no difference in group size. If i bed a rifle i float the tang, just cause. In the chassis i have not saw a issue with a tang.