• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage and Howa work

all2003

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2008
Who would be some good smiths to choose from that contribute to the "Hide" for an action trueing on a Savage and to re-barrel a Howa,,, Thanks

Re: Savage and Howa work

In my research, I have been told to look into Stockade gunstocks, and sharp shooter supply. I do not know if they contribute to the hide or not though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you fill out your profile someone may be able to recommend a good local 'smith. </div></div>

Yasherka, I see you were in the 1st AD, Cool. I crewed Huey's with the 1st AD back in the early 80's, C Co 501st Aviation Battalion Combat, Illeshiem Germany.

I too was 1st AD. I was a sniper for 2-6 IN out of Baumholder. Went to Ramadi and Salman Pak with them

Robert with rws gunsmithing builds some amazing rigs IMO his stuff is on par with anyones he is a hide member and very friendly and sticks to his word on turn around time and price.

Sharp shooter supply does 100% all savage work but if they tell you 3 months it will be 6 months and the charge will be at least 20% higher then then what they first tell you

The 1-6 inf was at Illeshiem, in the early 80s, after 1985 a lot of changes were made, and names were changed. Sorry for getting off subject.

Yasherka, my battalion was out of katterbach, had a lot of fun over there, back in the day.

Mr. Gordon @ SAC has my 308 Howa for truing and the 8-40 screw upgrade. You will not be disappointed.

I bought a Savage because the floating bolthead design doesn't require trueing...
Or so I thought...

The floating bolthead might ensure that both lugs contact the action, but if the action is not square, then the boltface probably won't be square to the chamber. Just something to think about; whether this is a concern in "real life" is very debateable.

SSS did mine in 40 days. but stockade does it as well. i like SSS, but they may still be hard to get a hold of, may take a while to have you send in your receiver, and may take longer to get it done. but they charged me what they quoted. if GAP will true one, do it. but you can do alot on your own to make it feel better. polish the bolt in a few paces, add a lift kit. ill dig up a link or two for you

Jim See at Center Shot Rifles does excellent work.

I know SSS does good work but the way they do business is so bad. When you place an order you never know when you'll get the item. Heard really bad story's of t&t jobs taking forever.

Good luck if you send it off to SSS. If I need something done on the Savage...Kevin is getting my money. His turn around time is insane and he's a good guy and won't BS you...unlike Freddy.

Off topic, but I spent a summer at the Gasthaus Dietz in Illesheim. It was great to live in a small German town, riding my bike to Bad Windsheim for dinner and beer. 2-6 and 6-6 Cav were there at the time, as well as 7-159th AVIM.