• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage Axis .308 Extended Magazines?

Brombou

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2014
Hey everybody!

I was curious if anyone knows where I could purchase 5 extended Savage Axis .308 magazines? I've looked around everywhere in my area and some places on the internet, haven't found a damn thing. But I'm getting tired of only having 4 rounds in a magazine, 1 in the chamber, to put downrange at targets. Anyone care to help out? It would be greatly appreciated.

Do a search on here for Axis 223 extended magazines there is one or two guys making them. Last price check was $90.00!!

Due to the new laws in Colorado, he no longer makes the magazines. i'm still looking for a place to custom make ten round mags for my savage axis 308. If I find any leads i will let you know.

Due to the new laws in Colorado, he no longer makes the magazines. i'm still looking for a place to custom make ten round mags for my savage axis 308. If I find any leads i will let you know.

The last time I checked that thread there was a new guy from Ohio making them now? Maybe I'm wrong but he sent me a price of $90.00 for a 223. I'd recheck the thread if your interested.

Hehe, I'm pretty sure the first guy from Ohio (me) quit making them and sold all his stock. Too much work for minimal reward. There is another guy in the works , apparently from Ohio as well (Huh, weird), we'll see what comes. He has a website, http://www.snydermags.com

You could always try your own hand at building one. If nothing else, it will make you appreciate the work that goes into it :p

Last edited:
The last time I checked that thread there was a new guy from Ohio making them now? Maybe I'm wrong but he sent me a price of $90.00 for a 223. I'd recheck the thread if your interested.

New guy from Ohio :) Snyder Magazines

And thanks to you guys who are passing along the info. Starving Boy, haven't forgot about your Cetme mags, but still working on the FAL...not sure if it is the right one yet, so may still be in touch.

Last edited:
Do a search on here for Axis 223 extended magazines there is one or two guys making them. Last price check was $90.00!!

$85.00 for a 10 round, 90.00 for a 15 round, $55.00 for a 10 round if you supply the Savage magazine, and $60.00 for the 15 round if you supply Savage mag. And we are sellilng them as fast as we can make them, so price must be acceptable to people.
Snyder Magazines

Announcing a new product: ten round magazines for the Savage Axis .243/.308/7mm-08 are now available at Snyder Magazines on the Products Page!

Magman2

.308 in rifle bottom.jpg .308 10-round magazine.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Tom!! I had the pleasure of speaking with your wife... Great lady for sure!!

Mag looks great too!! I sooo lookin forward to getting my hands on it!!!

DK

SWEEEEEETNESSSSSSS!! I don't know if I will ever get to OH anytime soon, but it would be great to have a shooting day out with you guys!!

DK

Hopefully, I will be up and about by this weekend. I went to Texas to see my Mom for Mothers Day, and had a horrible anaphylaxis reaction to something. I have been in the hospital for the last 5 days, and finally made it home yesterday. Still weak, shaky, dizzy, broke out, etc...

The magazine will be my birthday present to me, which is on Friday!! Yeeeehhhhaaaawwww!! ;)

I am really happy for you guys!!

DK

Well, Happy Birthday Z...and sorry you have been sick. Get better! And we will look forward to a shooting match one day. Checked your location in Colorado and you are no where near the places we go...looks like western slopes beyond Denver. Salida is about the farthest west we ever get. Lived in Alamosa for a year too. Anyway, enjoy the mag!

Tom

I have been to Salida, and that was an awesome range weekend!! We just might have to get back out to that neck of the woods sometime and bang some steel!! ;)

Thanks for the get well and birthday wishes... it is GREATLY appreciated!! God Bless you Brother!!

DK

For those who have used them with a Savage model 10, how well do they work? Website says they have heard they work with the model 10 among others, but doesn't suggest they are designed for them specifically.

Deputy, we are making one for a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP that has the same plastic front clip as the Axis does in the mag. The newer Savages use the plastic clip to hold the mag in -- the older ones use a metal lever to retain the magazine. Zrat has told us that our mags will work with the Savage 10s, but that the plastic clip must be removed for them to fit into the gun. We think, as long as it is a center feed Savage, they should work. If you want to take a picture of the magazine you use in your Savage 10 and send it to us through the website or post it here, I can give you a better idea of whether or not we can modify one for you. But since we do not have any of those models, we are unable to test them, as we do all the others we sell. And thank you for taking the time to read through the info on the website :)

Magman2

Removing the front magazine release tab from the Axis/Edge magazine floorplate is what I did to all of mine for the Model 10 etc. rifles. The Model 10 magazines are held in place by the rear tab of the magazine body, as well as the front of the magazine is held in place by the detent that the metal tab holds on to. Yes, they will work.

DK

Somehow, someone needs to develop a list of savages according to magazine type. the savage 11s should generally use the same mag as axis, but the 11 hog hunter has a different magazine than the other 11s and the axis- and this type of info is not readily apparent from the savage website, or elsewhere.

I have not yet heard whether axis II uses the same mag as the axis, but I would guess it does.

Axis II is the same magazine. The only difference that I am aware of, is the incorporation of the good ol Accutrigger.

DK

Hey, DK...we show you got your magazine today. We're anxious to hear your opinion. Enjoy it and have a great day today...treat yourself to something nice :)

T&TS

Somehow, someone needs to develop a list of savages according to magazine type. the savage 11s should generally use the same mag as axis, but the 11 hog hunter has a different magazine than the other 11s and the axis- and this type of info is not readily apparent from the savage website, or elsewhere.

I have not yet heard whether axis II uses the same mag as the axis, but I would guess it does.

You might check out Savage Shooters - Home
Maybe they have something there about it.
We may also post something on our website along those lines once we know which rifles our extended magazines will work with.

Magman2

Hey Tom!! I saw the tracking this morning, and it has arrived. Typically it takes the full day for the mail to get yo my house, so we will see. Hit or miss if I will have to go sign for it.

So, at best, I will have it in my hands this afternoon. At the worst, I will have it tomorrow when they open at 9:00am.

Either way, I am tickled!! Thanks!!!

DK

Tom, I did indeed get the magazine today!! Looks good man!! I will be goin out in the mornin and poppin some targets!!

I will get a report and pics done as well, and get back here with all the details!'

DK

Tom, I did indeed get the magazine today!! Looks good man!! I will be goin out in the mornin and poppin some targets!!

I will get a report and pics done as well, and get back here with all the details!'

DK

Great, DK...we are looking forward to hearing what you think. Have fun!

TS

Z71 rat has posted his review of our .308 magazine on the forum for Savage Axis/Edge 10 Round High Capacity Magazine, on the last page, for those who are interested. DK, thanks again for your glowing review...we ship some of these out this next week!

We are hearing from one of our guys that he has broken the floor plate on his .308 magazine. We are going to repair it for him, but thought we should post a word of warning here. On the .308s you do not need to smack them into the magwell hard, and this is what has happened. It worked well for him the first 3 times he put it in, and then the fourth time he smacked it and broke it. If you are too rough with them (and it takes a lot of roughness :) they will break. Shown in this photo is what can happen.

broken floor plate in .jpg

Also, some of these magazines will hold more than 10 rounds -- you can get 11 in them, but IF YOU DO YOU ARE GOING TO BREAK YOUR MAGAZINE when you try to put it in the gun. We do give a 30 day warranty on manufacturing, but please be careful -- these are difficult to repair.

Thanks to all the guys who are shooting from the .308s!

Tom, that magwell band breaking is a problem easily solved by adding another small metal block to the rear of the magazine. This was a very common problem when I was building them. Easy fix, happier customers, A LOT less warranty repairs!!!!

Hang in there man, y'all are doin great things!!

DK

And to everyone using these magazines... they are NOT AR15 magazines!! Don't smack the things!! I would also recommend to insert the magazines with an open bolt. This will avoid having to use excessive pressure to the magazine to get it to seat properly in the magwell. Just a little FYI!!

DK

Thanks, zrat...great minds think alike. Tom just brought me down a .308 magazine and he had done exactly that -- added another brace at the rear of the mag :) We have told the guys with the .223s that they need to give a slap to the rear of the magazine to be sure it clips in, but the .308s don't need it. And, he is using the same fix on the .223s that we used on the .308s (again your suggestion) to get the rear to clip in better. So, hopefully no more issues between the suggestions you have made for us :) Next trip to Colorado, we are definitely coming to Meeker to meet you :)

Any chance you guys are making the 10 round mag in 223/556 for Savage 10/12?

We are not familiar with that rifle...if it is something that uses the same magazine as the Axis (with or without the plastic clip in piece) and the ammo will fit in the .223 or .308 magazines, then we can probably do it. We do have guys that are using our mags in Savage 10s, etc. with no problems. We'll do some research and see what we can find out on the 223/556. Thanks for your interest!

Magman2

The Savage 10/12 are covered by the same magazines. The ONLY difference, would be to remove the front plastic magazine release tab. All the remaining parts are exactly the same.

DK

p.s. - Come on to Meeker!! We can go shoot, and grill some burgers and hot dogs!! We have plenty of room for you to stay as our guests too!!