• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Axis II XP

trve

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
Hey all,

I'm looking to get into distance shooting. I've never really done it before, so I just want to dip my toe in the water and see if I like it. To that end, Im looking to pick up an inexpensive rifle that can be shot out of the box- ideally one that comes mounted with a scope. My budget is around $600, and if I come in under budget I'll be able to spend that on ammo.

I want a rifle I can upgrade down the line if I get into it. I know the first thing I will want to upgrade is the scope, but a robust aftermark would be ideal.

I am thinking about getting the Savage Axis II XP. I can get it for around $400, it comes with a scope, and I've heard good thing about Savage rifles. I am going to get one in 308 Win, because I have a battle rifle in 308 and dont want to start buying a new caliber at this point.

Does anyone have one? Does it check all my boxes like it seems like it does? Are there any other rifles for $600 or under which I should consider?

I have a lot of experience as a shooter- rifles, shotguns, handguns. But no experience with bolt actions or proper distance shooting. I'm a bit of a research junkie and when I get a lead I'll go down all sorts of rabbit holes. Dont need my hand held, but I appreciate any suggestions!

I’d seriously consider a 6.5 Creedmoor as it’s noticeably more capable at distance.
I started with a savage 11 XP.
Ran it for a lot of years.
They have limitations though.

I’d seriously consider a 6.5 Creedmoor as it’s noticeably more capable at distance.
I started with a savage 11 XP.
Ran it for a lot of years.
They have limitations though.

What are some of its limitations? Anything Id care about at this point? I can either upgrade parts or get a new rifle down the line, right now Im just looking to play.

Most people who really get into this long range stuff or prs gaming will tell you you’re eventually going to go custom action anyway, so might be best to wet your feet with something affordable knowing if you like it you’ll eventually step up and if you don’t you won’t have much tied up in it and can recoup most of that in resale if you choose. And def go 6.5CM to start.

Last edited:
Most people who really get into this long range stuff or prs gaming will tell you you’re eventually going to go custom action anyway, so might be best to wet your feet with something affordable knowing if you like it you’ll eventually step up and if you don’t you won’t have much tied up in it and can recoup most of that in resale if you choose. And def go 6.5CM to start.

I already have 308 ammo and a rifle that can shoot it, not looking to add another caliber to the mix just yet. I know that if I get really into this I will want to switch to 6.5, figure I'll do that if I end up upgrading my rifle. For now Im pretty set on 308 just for ammo economy.

What are some of its limitations? Anything Id care about at this point? I can either upgrade parts or get a new rifle down the line, right now Im just looking to play.
Resale
Some mechanical issues like feeding, extraction and ejection.
Some limitations on aftermarket but not bad now versus when I started.

If you just want to get you feet wet it’s a low cost in option.

Resale
Some mechanical issues like feeding, extraction and ejection.
Some limitations on aftermarket but not bad now versus when I started.

If you just want to get you feet wet it’s a low cost in option.
Were the mechanical issues something that cropped up with wear, or were they an issue right out of the box? I dont mind having to do maintenance but I dont want to have to deal with them immediately.

Not worried about resale, the one gun Ive ever sold I immediately regretted selling, so never again lol

Cabelas / Bass Pro have a Savage 12 FV that is more suited to what you want to do. It’s a few bucks more than the Axis, but a better rifle if you’re going to run up the round count.
It’ll also have better resale value than the Axis
Savage 12 FV @ Cabelas
Find a good used scope in your price range and run with that for now. Upgrade optics as you can, then upgrade the rifle.

I have the Axis, not the Axis II. I bought it cheap just to see if I would like it just like you’re talking about. Mine is in 243. Before I shot a long range (500 yards) training class I put a new scope on it. It shot well enough to place mid way in the class. I didn’t like the plastic stock so I bought a Boyd’s stock for it. While I was waiting for the stock I went ahead and ordered a 26” varmint profit for it. I put on and aftermarket trigger myself. I didn’t shoot bad to start, but it’s much better now. I know I could have saved up and bought a factory rifle with all this stuff on it, but I wanted to learn by doing it this way. Plus, I really like it and like you I’ll never sell another gun.

Mike

Reactions: Doc A
I started with a budget savage 110?in .30-06 and shot the piss out of it but ran up to its limits quickly and I have always struggled with putting money into it to make it nicer and still do. Every time I run the numbers on upgrading it to be more of something I’d want or rebarreling to a better cartridge, I look at new rifles that are what I’d already want and they’re only a few hundred more than the cost of the upgrades. There isn’t anything wrong with starting with a budget rifle but the cost to build math really doesn’t support upgrading them later. There are three options here, buy a gently used rifle of nicer quality (Tikka, Bergara, Howa, Remington, higher grade savage), buy the axis and shoot it until you start to find its limits then sell it to buy one of the above, or shoot it until you find its limits and buy a second nicer rifle.

I have an M1A and a Remington 700 in .308 but unless the two rifleA take the same magazines, I wouldn’t get all hung up on common calibers. The odds that your battle rifle and bolt action would like the same load are pretty slim, so you’re going to end up stocking multiple different boxes anyway, at least if accuracy and precision are your ultimate objective. Normally if you commonize, you end up compromising for whatever the semi auto likes and getting sub-par performance from your bolt gun, and they will both prefer different things from a reloading standpoint if you decide to reload later.

The logic that you can always get Ammo for a .22, 9mm, .223, 12 gauge, or .308 has been proven faulty every time the Democrats talk about banning guns. All of the common stuff gets sold out and there is a lot of .17 hmr, .40 s&w, 6.5 grendel, 20 gauge, and 6.5 creedmoor sitting on shelves. I shot a lot of 17 hmr in 2012-2013 because it was always in stock while I had to be limited to 50 rounds of green box Remington .22. Doesn’t mean one is better than the other from a supply standpoint, it means you need both. Specialization is for insects.

Not a damned thing wrong starting out with a budget rifle. Knowing you’ll want to upgrade a piece at a time down the road I’d personally recommend a Tikka. The first thing you’ll want to bump up to down the road is a stock with some adjustability, be easier with a Tikka and it’s just a really nice action. Also, don’t let anyone talk you out of 308. Sure 6.5 Creedmoor is better, but once you figure out the wind calls with 308 you’ll be able to conquer the world.

Reactions: JINKSTER
Thanks for all the replies guys, really helpful, gave me a lot to think about. I started looking at the 110 APEX Storm, its like $130 more but sounds like it might be worth it. Anyone have any experience with that one? Im led to believe 110s are great rifles in general.

I've had no issues with my handful of axis', and they all shoot under half a mintue out to 500. The 243 heavy barrel will shoot that at 675, but it's the only one stretched out that far yet.

I agree with the others on caliber, get a 6.5cm or at least a 243. If you're not alergic to playing with triggers the non accu can be brought down to 2lbs even, and the accu to 12-14oz.

Not sure if you're aware, but they now offer the axis in an mdt chassis for low $700.

I also have a Model 10 FCP-SR that I just picked up from my brother. Much nicer rifle than a stock Axis; stiffer stock wth aluminum bedding system, 24” heavy threaded barrel, detachable 10 round magazine. It’s a discontinued model but seems to have evolved into the 110 Tactical / Desert Tactical.
Buds gun shop has those for about the same price.

Mike

trve: I think the best upgrade you can get for whatever rifle you buy is a reloading press and you don't need anything fancy and a single stage will do.

Find the right powder charge behind a quality bullet to harmonize with whatever rifle in whatever caliber you buy and it will put many of the debatables spoke of herein to sleep.

A cheap rifle in the hands of a savvy reloader can achieve great things. ;)

Cabelas / Bass Pro have a Savage 12 FV that is more suited to what you want to do. It’s a few bucks more than the Axis, but a better rifle if you’re going to run up the round count.
It’ll also have better resale value than the Axis
Savage 12 FV @ Cabelas
Find a good used scope in your price range and run with that for now. Upgrade optics as you can, then upgrade the rifle.

^^^This^^^

For about the same money as the Axis (especially if you catch one of the frequent sales) you can get a 26" heavy barrel on a Model 10 action. I have a Axis II and the 12FV and the 12FV is definitely the better rifle. Both are accurate, but the 12FV is nicer to shoot and is my preference.

Pros of the 12FV over the Axis
  • Model 10 receiver is better finished and has a larger election port.
  • Recoil lug is part of the barrelled action instead of fixed in the stock like the Axis (easily upgraded to a more precision part).
  • Model 10 extraction camming is accomplished by the replaceable rear baffle instead of a ramp milled into the rear of the receiver.
  • The striker system on the Axis is extremely simple (just a couple of springs) with basically no adjustments possible, while the system on the model 10 has more pieces that can be customized, adjusted,or replaced and is IMO a more robust design that can be tweaked to achieve a surprisingly nice action.
  • Far more available parts (stocks, bolt handles, bolt bodies, triggers, etc) for upgrading the model 10 action.
  • The accutrigger on the 12FV is the lighter sprung varmint version and can be adjusted lower than the Axis version.
  • The model 10 has a three position safety that locks the bolt closed while the Axis has a two position safety that doesn't lock the bolt. Some people prefer the locking bolt (especially for hunting).
  • The factory stock on the 12FV, while not great, is far better (more rigid, straighter, better textured and contoured) than the flimsy Axis factory stock.
Pro of the Axis over the 12FV
  • Feeds from a detachable box magazine (DBM), not a great magazine design but feeds well. The internal blind magazine of the 12FV is a pain that can only be fixed (without an inordinate amount of work) by replacing the stock.
  • Easier to find (better availability)and possibly cheaper.
There's really not much to recommend the Axis over the 12FV if you're anywhere near a Cabela's or Bass Pro store, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: stilesg57