• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage Axis??

AllanYork

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2010
What is your thoughts on the savage axis? i am looking at getting the .25-06 can i upgrade it? better trigger? better stock? i realize this has been talked about before but i am wonder if there is anything new with theses rifles now. thanks

Re: Savage Axis??

Nothing new yet. Only upgrade is the Rifle Basix trigger. And there is a EGW rail I believe. Other than that, nothing.

Axis barrels are interchangeable with Savage small shank barrels, and there is a Rifle Basix trigger as well as a Timney trigger I believe. No stocks though.

If your thinking about getting one,remember all calibers come on a long action

save up a little more money and get a remington if ur looking to upgrade it. not much sense in trying to polish a turd. if u want it just for a truck gun or hunting gun then just buy it and keep it how it is.

The first time I took one of those out of the stock I thought to myself "someone gave their nephew a job designing rifles".

If it aint broke.....

hmmmm...so i can get a new remington for around 700 bucks or one of theses savage axis for 350 bucks. the pro to a remington is its fully customizable right? lots of triggers and stocks etc. i would buy the remington used but its rare around here for a .25-06. anyone know of around route thats not to expensive that would be upgradeable in the future for long range shooting? a wheatherby vangaurd?

Hmmm....heres an idea. I could buy an old used remington 700 in .30-06 and swap out the barrel for a .25-06 barrel. that would work wouldnt it? Where in canada can i buy barrels, stocks etc? Is there a website anyone knows of? I know for sure it couldnt be shipped over the border.

or, even better, get a savage model 10, they make it in 25-06 and its a step up from the Axis, and is also fully upgradeable, the upside to the Savage is that everything is user upgradeable.

I see that cabelas discontinued the .25-06 savage model 10s. dont think that an older remington model 700 would be any good? i just need to track down a barrel for .25-06

Buds gun shop and Bass pro have a few savage rifles in 25-06, saw one for $560 on buds, comes with the cheap simmons scope and an accutrigger, It would be a great platform to start from.

A guy a my local gunshop tried to give me a deal on a Savage Axis. Price wasn't bad but the gun was. It's honestly the cheapest feeling rifle i've ever handled. I would spend more money on an H&R Singleshot rifle brefore an Axis.

What is your intended purpose for the rifle if I may ask?

Other than Rifle Basix triggers (since our two Axis (Axes?) had 8-pound triggers) I don't know about upgrades, but they do shoot. We gave each of our sons, now 14, an Axis in .270, and I have shot sub-1/2 MOA 3-shot groups (these are hunting rifles, not heavy barrels) at 100 yards with at least 6 or seven different loads with one rifle and at least 3 or 4 with the other. One group was less than 1/4". They may feel cheap, and the stock is light and flimsy (but easy rifles to carry while hunting), but they easily outshoot my 700 and my Vanguard with handloads. I'm no benchrest shooter, but bugholes for $300 impresses me.

Obviously, it depends on what you plan to use the rifle for, but I think there is a place for the Axis.

I dont beleive they will ship to canada will they? the only place i know of that i can order gun related items online is from cabelas.ca

The plan is for me to use this gun for long range shooting and when im not long range shooting i want to use it for hunting deer and perhaps coyotes. i already have a range gun but its in .308(10 fcp-k) and im thinking i want to have something with a flatter trojectory ie. .25-06. Also this 10 fcp-k that i have is to heavy to carry around for hunting deer. only probley is money. otherwise i would just buy a brand new sako

This is my main issue; where am i going to buy upgrades if i live in canada?

i just bought the axis in a 30.06 I am going to the range this weekend to sight it in.
i love the price and if if shoots as well as my old 300 savage i will be very happy.
i am a little concerned with the stock being so light though.
i dont really like the magazine on it so that might be the first upgarde.

thanks, that is a really good resource. some really nice stocks there. now i wonder where i can find barrels and such. not many canaidans on here i take it?

I am starting to think i should just throw in the towel and just use the 10 fcp-k for everything. is it possible to get surplus .308 ammo? or is it a waste if i can?

I have heard alot of really good range reports from these rifles. For the price range, I wouldn't count them out of the game, especially for a hunting rifle.

I have really only had any dealings with these rifles in the 243/308 calibers, and I have only heard of the stocks being something that is in need of an upgrade. But, what do you really expect from a $300 rifle?? I have read of alot of people doing their own trigger upgrades with some minor adjustments as well.

While I don't own one myself, those that do seem to like them. I also have had good luck with upgrading the detachable magazine for a higher capacity magazine as well. Just some food for thought.

DK

I have a Savage axis in 223 that still blows me away even after 2k rounds. I shoot 69 smk with 25.2 gr Varget, .020 from the lands about 1/2 moa, unreal..

Just don't let the barrel get hot and the stock gets even softer..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EROCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage axis in 223 that still blows me away even after 2k rounds. I shoot 69 smk with 25.2 gr Varget, .020 from the lands about 1/2 moa, unreal..

Just don't let the barrel get hot and the stock gets even softer..</div></div> Yeah I got one(Savage Axis) in a 223 for varmints in the back yard, damn things so loud I had to put a silencer on it. Best I could do with their trigger was 5 lbs. and that took an hour of buffing just to get that. But I like the light weight and they do shoot well. So with a better trigger I think they are good to go for varmint control.
My .02