• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage BA-110 .338 lapua

577nitro

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Ok here is the deal. I have spent countless hours sifting through the numerous posts for a good loading for my Savage .338 Lapua. The only constant is using a slow burning powder in addition to the following components. I will be using Redding Competition dies, Lapua Brass, Fed 215m and 300 SMKs, loaded long enough that they fit in the magazine.

The question in need to ask is which powder to use, and does anyone have reloading expirience with that specific rifle. I would love to here from anyone using the Savage BA-110, in 338. Many thanks in advance!

Re: Savage BA-110 .338 lapua

577nitro -

i have done extensive load testing with this gun and have worked through many problems at the begining. once i found the "sweet spot" it is one hell of a shooter. my buddies and i are amazed with the results. i am shooting 1/2" groups at 200 yards!
these rifles seem very finiky so be paitent. here are some tips and load data...
ive tried berger hybrids with no luck, 250grn smks with no luck. with the 1-9 twist it wants the 300grainers.
it took about 300 rnds for the rifle to break in.
shooting the 300grn smk seemed to produce alot of copper build up. make sure you get it all out!
upgrade the firing pin spring, theres one at brownells for less than 20bucks.
make sure you prep and load consistantly everytime.
make sure the stock screws stay tight, they seem to loosen up after a couple of trips to the range.
shooting at 100yds is pointless, the bullet wont stabilize. 200yd minimum.
i had real good accuracy with RL25 86grn 300grn smk 10 off the lans (invest in a lock and load gage) for me at 10 off the lans still fit in the mag.
after the barrel broke in that load showed major heat signs. i think part of it was because the rl25 was very temprature sensitive and it was august of last year, anyway i started over again. i tried retumbo 90-92grns without much success. RL22 78-82 grns worked nice but not as tight of groups as i wanted, same for imr4350 74.7 -78.2 and rl25 85 - 87grns. frustrated and weary i tried H1000 86.5 - 92.2 and everything changed! my current load is 88.4grn H1000 with the 300grn smk in lapua brass and fed 215m primer. 1/2" groups at 200 yards, 2,650 fps. the rifle is alot of fun to shoot but i have only been able to take her out to 1300yds. at 1300yds i hit a steering wheel size rock 3 times in a row (a spotter was with me to help me get on since i didnt have any data at that range)i have seen a couple of other guys with these at the range but they are not getting nearly the same results as i am but they have not spent the time to "figure it out" anyways i have read alot of articles revolving around this gun and every one was testing factory loads but for this particular rifle a good custom handload is the way to go.
feel free to ask any other questions...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 577nitro</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ok here is the deal. I have spent countless hours sifting through the numerous posts for a good loading for my Savage .338 Lapua. The only constant is using a slow burning powder in addition to the following components. I will be using Redding Competition dies, Lapua Brass, Fed 215m and 300 SMKs, loaded long enough that they fit in the magazine.

The question in need to ask is which powder to use, and does anyone have reloading expirience with that specific rifle. I would love to here from anyone using the Savage BA-110, in 338. Many thanks in advance! </div></div>

How long can you load the 300s out to, in your mag?

why shoot 300s, if you're not going to get them up to speed? Your tube is 26", IIRC.

Get some 250 Scenars, get them up over 2925 fps with VV-165, VV-170, RL-25, H-1000, Retumbo or H-4831sc, put a case of beer on ice and have fun out to 1500m.

You won't see much benefit (and more recoil/expense) in shooting the 300s over the 250s in a shorter barrel with a shorter mag box.

Chris

I haven't loaded for the savage but i have had several 338LM and RL25 and H1000 are my go to powders.

Thanks a lot bluedot. Its good to hear some real world, rifle specific experience.
Anyone else have some ideas?

Presently running 250 SMK over 95 grains of Retumbo. No chrono data yet, but I'm seeing less than 1" of vertical dispersion at 300 yards from a GAP Templar.

Mrbluedot what is your O.A.L. ? It seems at bit long for mag length & to go 10 off the lands? Just curious.

using a hornady bullet comparator .0100 off of lans = 2.9850 just enough to fit in the mag...