• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage barrel swap question

dshag

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2014
dfw, tx
I have heard that savage barrels can be swapped and headspaced without a gunsmith. If i put a savage 110 in a manners 4a stock would i be able to swap calibers or would that no longer be as easy as with a factory savage stock? Thanks

savage barrel swap question

Yes you heard right and yes, its easy in a Manners or anything else as you have to remove the barreled action all the same.

It is not very hard to learn how to do it but it requires a few tools (a one time buy under $100) a little 'mechanical savvy' and sound advice/instructions ( especially for the first time). The stock is non-essential since, as Boiler said, you would remove the action from your stock any time you do the swap. You save a bunch of money this route and there is the pride of doing it yourself. One of the beauties of this approach (for me at least) is that you can find a stock/action/scope platform you like and then by simply switching the barrel you can have a different rifle (depending on what caliber you want you may need a small bolt head modification as well). I would do it again in a heart beat. And another thing, I have done my first build only after 6 month of shooting while a novice.

I just did a barrel swap a couple of weeks ago for the first time. It's ridiculously simple. Takes about an hour your first time, much less thereafter. Now I shoot one-hole groups.

I was going to go remington but the barrel swapping makes this much more appealing. I want a 300 wm and 308 setup. I will go with the 300 to start and have to get adifferent bolt and barrel for 308, correct?

I was going to go remington but the barrel swapping makes this much more appealing. I want a 300 wm and 308 setup. I will go with the 300 to start and have to get adifferent bolt and barrel for 308, correct?

You can always set up a "Rem-Age", or a 700 action with a Savage-style barrel nut system.

You will need a need a different barrel and bolt head to swap between 300WM and 308 in addition to a 110 long action for the build base; you'll also need to figure out a solution if you intend to mag feed. If you plan to run a DBM setup, your best bet (IMO) would be with a stock using CDI Savage LA/300WM DBM or a Savage LA chassis with AICS 300WM magazines, with a mag or two dedicated to 308, which will work fine if you bend the feed lips a little.