• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Savage Barrel Swap Question

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I have a HS Precision 10FP .308 (it had) the 24" barrel on it.

Took it off tonight and ran across a replacement barrel

ER Shaw

It says its for a 110 but thats just the action length and should work with my weapon correct?

Re: Savage Barrel Swap Question

As long as the shank size is correct, you are good to go. Your action should have the smal shank. The short mags had the large shank.

Yep, that will fit. Looks like now the A&B barrels that were taken out of the market are coming back. This might be worth to pick up just for the prethreaded muzzle.

You can also get pre-fit barrels from Pac-Nor, Shilen, McGowan, Criterion, and others, for a step up in quality. They cost a little more but they are hand lapped, and are easy to install.

i picked one of those up when they were on sale for ~$92. large shank though since thats my main action. pretty good deal.

I'm putting one on a long action center feed action. I also just bought a muzzle brake to go with it.

This one for less than $20 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gunsmith-Accuracy-Pi...=item3a66f9644e

It was threaded perfect and had the proper bore clearance. I did toss it in my lathe and turned off the gay "razor sharp tines".

I also got a thread cap that fits very well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=276822

Not bad for less than $130 for barrel, brake, and cap.

Change out is done. Used the scotch tape on rear on "go" gauge technique. Waiting on a base screw from badger then I will mount up my US Optics and see how she shoots.

Put 40 rounds through it today. Had like a 40 mph crosswind.

I did shoot some .5 inch groups (3 rounds only) but could not hold it consistantly. I figure it will shoot a little better with more rounds through it. Plan on getting out to 300 yrd dope tomarrow.

Put another 20 rounds through it and have a real good zero, the winds calmed down.

I shot 2 .75 inch groups (5 shot groups) Pretty happy with the barrel. I need to chrony the ammo, There is a noticable difference in recoil in this ammo vs my reloades. I had 175 gr bullets going around 2650 out of a 24" barrel. I wouldnt think taking 4" off the barrel would reduce the weight enough to up the recoil.

I double checked and the AVG was 2685 out of the factory 24" savage barrel. I was pushing 168 a little over 2700 with the same load.

44 Gr. Varget
Lapua Brass
Fed. Match Primer
OAL 2.8