• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage Bedding Project

flyboy10

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2010
Before bedding, the Savage 10FCP McMillan was capable of sub-0.5" groups (most groups were at or around 0.6"), with the best group of five @ 100yds being under a dime ES.
2eb7mva.jpg

Well, the Devcon came in last Thursday and I decided to see if I could permanently weld the rifle into the McMillan this morning... Not really, I'm actually about 98% certain it'll come out.

The stock prior to prep:
rr5s49.jpg

A little fancy Dremel work:
2c0z80.jpg

ranbtc.jpg

I drilled holes and then cleaned everything prior to action prep - a layer of Kiwi shoe polish, then plumber's putty and silly putty in the open spots:
2drb33n.jpg

Another layer of Kiwi, some tape, and we were ready for final stock prep:
k3f5i.jpg

Mix and apply the Devcon:
2mqvlut.jpg

Setting the action in the stock (I wasn't happy with the amount of excess material that came out so ended up pulling the action, applying more Devcon, and setting again):
ddc19u.jpg

T-11hrs and counting...
3520mpv.jpg

Re: Savage Bedding Project

Looks good! Looking forward to seeing how it shoots when it's all done.

From the quality of prep you did, I have no doubts that this bedding job will come out very nice. Don't forget to shoot it after!!!

Thanks - good or bad, I'll make sure to put pictures up when it comes apart. And I'm fairly certain that I'll remember to shoot it, or at least give it a more prominent place in the safe...

Pulled the action this morning and all looked good except for a little bit of chipping around the front lug:
ayxf1v.jpg

Cleaned it up with the Dremel and everything still looked pretty good (except for the chips - how bad are those going to be? should I touch them up, or would that fubar the whole thing?):
14132wi.jpg

vp86kl.jpg

And then as I was doing a final wipe-out, an air pocket popped through just to the right of the front bolt hole (below it in the picture):
160dcb4.jpg

With the action installed and torqued:
15309ib.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Would it be worth it to fill in the air pocket?

If it really concerns you, open up the air pocket a little bit with a dremel and fill er up, and re-set your action in the stock. I'd be really, really surprised if that pocket negatively affected accuracy though.

Let us know how this shoots when you get a chance. I've been toying with the idea of bedding my savages. I just wonder how much you are going to improve accuracy.

Flyboy, I noticed you didn't tape around the tang for spacing or wrap around the action and stock to keep it tight together. Are those missing pictures or is that how you did it? Does the tang still float?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flyboy, I noticed you didn't tape around the tang for spacing or wrap around the action and stock to keep it tight together. Are those missing pictures or is that how you did it? Does the tang still float?</div></div>
I followed wnroscoe's directions (sticky on bedding under this topic); specifically NOT taping around the action to keep it tight. The electrical tape around the barrel close to the recoil lug and closer to the front of the forearm keep the action level; the weight of the action and barrel keep it in the bedding compound after you initially set it.

The tang is still floated (pics posted yesterday in response to your thread/question were from the completed project). I didn't put any bedding compound in that area of the stock or on that area of the action, as such, didn't see a need to tape it. I'm guessing the float at the tang is less than 0.020" (I'll gage it and post results).