• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage bolt binding

Johnnypusmc

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2014
Florida
I have purchased a new savage 10tr with a 20 inch barrel on it in .308. This is my first tactical bolt gun. While cycling the bolt fast or even with any speed at all it binds up if not pulled perfectly straight back. There seems to be some play in it. After reading some forums and threads I found out that this is common for savage. Is there anything that can be done to fix this or at least improve on it. I've seen some suggestions as to buy a Remington (which I am contemplating) makes no sense to have a tactical rifle that doesn't perform as such. Other than that I love the rifle. I have not fired it yet. This is just sitting at home cycling the bolt.

Thank you
Johnny

dry fire, go shoot the gun, and get a good 1000 cycles on the bolt...it won't bind up as much once you have some rounds through it. However, like any rifle with semi-loose tolerances with the bolt back, there will be some binding if you come at it from a crooked angle. I was able to get used to my Savage after awhile, and it would feed/cycle every bit as fast as my other bolt action rifles.

If it still bugs you after breaking everything in, get an oversized bolt from Pacific Tool & Gauge. You can order a number of sizes and get it as tight as you want. I forget which size most guys recommend, but the guys here or over at Savage Shooters could probably help you out with getting the proper size.

Awesome. Thank you for the advise. I was hoping it was that simple. Ammo is on order and have been itching to shoot it. I think I read too far into it and over reacted. I was pretty upset about it. Didn't think of it like that. (Getting used to maneuvering the bolt)
Thanks again

Yea I had that issue when I changed the bolt on my Savage. I had a 10BA in 308 and I bought the 110BA handle because I liked the looks of it more than the round knob on the 10BA. Although it looked cool, like redneck said, it was long and straight and would bind up all the time if I didn't hold or maneuver it just right because the pressure I was applying was in the wrong spot.

EDIT: As a side not I never had any issues with factory bolt handles on Savages until I changed them out with aftermarket ones, so I think you might just have to work your action a bit to free things up.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise. I'll grab some grease and keep working the bolt. I thought of cerekoting the barrel and bolt. Would this have any affect on the bolt? I had read something about them adding something into the mixture that smooths up the bolt. I can not remember the name of it though.

Grease and coatings are going to do little to help. Savages bind because of the slop in the action and the strait bolt handles. Both can be fixed by throwing money at it but at that point you're polishing a turd and if you ever sell it you'll never see your return.

I got the fish net fluted bolts from sharp shooters supply and that helped mine having the smoother body. I also took the sharp edge off the back of the receiver, kinda like said above finding the sweet spot to get after it fast.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You can get an oversize bolt body from PTG that would eliminate the slop which is causing the binding or you can do what I did and change your technique. I use my thumb directly behind the bolt to push the bolt forward. This pretty much eliminates the binding issue.

Look at visual marks on the bolt body where it is rubbing when cycling, and polish it smooth using Dremmel and Flitz. You may need to do this several times but it only takes 5 minutes. It also helps to break down the bolt and polish inside the cocking track as well. If you want it really smooth apply Flitz inside the bolt body before re-assembling, cock 1000 times, break down, and clean out all Flitz. Lubricate with synthetic automatic trans fluid and re-assemble. It's a little work but it will be very smooth, especially with aftermarket large bolt.

I attended a basic sniper course and used a savage 10PC.
It was a 50 hour course, we put quite a few rounds downrange.
I had the bolt bind on me exactly zero times.
Pull straight back and push straight forward, don't pull or push to the side.

I have a few that bind slightly. Light lubrication really helps. The most effective thing I had on hand was Lucas Oil Treatment. use sparingly...works as a very effective case lube in a pinch as well.

yep the guy using his thumb is on the right track, i've been shooting savages for over 30 years and if you put your thumb on the bolt handle bolt and grip the bolt handle with your hand, then put the most pressure on your thumb it will practically jump into battery-turn the bolt handle and shoot. its that easy.