• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage concerns

chaser_2332

Team copper creek
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2009
Campbellsville ky
Im getting ready to purchase a new short action bolt gun to mount my first ffp scope. I'm wanting a rifle I can feel confident out if the box to improve in my long range game before i drop alot of money on a new rig. My current set up is a sendero 2 in 7mm so just wanting a short action to go along with. I was settling in in the savage 10pc but some reviews have got me a leary maybe you guys and help clear some things up. After seeing the mammoth sniper challenge some savage features worry me, especially the accutrigger. If in a match where I would be racking the bolt hard would I have to worry about it locking up? Also i have read some horror stories about people not getting their accustock to perform after taking the rifle out to adjust trigger. Is alot of what I am reading hold water or have I just put too much time reading forums and found a few bad apples?

Re: Savage concerns

I don't know where the racking the bolt problem came from, as I have never experienced any issues with my 10 FCP HS. I have around 1,200 trouble free rounds on mine.

Can't speak for the accustock though.

The trigger not catching under rapid bolt is because guys have adjusted the trigger down too far. This can happen on a Remington as well. As for the Accu-stock, if you torque the action down correctly it shouldn't throw anything off. It's an aluminum bedding block so there's not much to really throw the stock off, probably improper torquing is flexing the action. I highly recommend Savage and I love their Accu trigger when adjusted properly.

Not true. EVERY Savage rifle I have owned has at one time or another
had the trigger jam on me - AT FACTORY SETTINGS!!! It has nothing to do with the end user. The rifle comes from the factory with the tension adjustment almost all the way out. The problem is the lack of a positive sear engagement. The trigger and sear are both stamped pieces and the groove on the trigger that catches the sear looks like it was cut by a 9 year old with a dremel. All it takes is for the trigger to not return back to its cocking position all the way and thud - the sear slips right past and jams against the accurelease and you just lost your shot.
Sure, you can increase the compression on the trigger spring but that also increases the trigger pull weight -an undesirable feature for those of us that like 1 pound triggers.
As far as the accustock issue is concerned, you will likely grow to dislike the ergonomics of it before you notice any accuracy issues. Other than the 110BA, most of their other accustocks are based on their version of a Monte Carlo stock, which sucks for prone shooting and has a comb too low for a scoped rifle.
I know it sounds like I'm ragging on savage, but I actually love them. I own three of them. But none of them are stock: I took the accustock feature out of my 110ba and bedded it and ditched the accutrigger in favor of a SSS Comp trigger that breaks like glass at a pound. And both of my model 10's have the same sss trigger and aftermarket stocks.
That one of the nice features of savage - they are easily customized.

what he said. there are issues. guys here have had them. they are usually solved by increasing the trigger pull and cleaning and relubing the sear and engagement surfaces. guys will replace the accutrigger with the SSS and be happy. its just that not everybody has that issue. its never happened to my savage but its happened to every one of bodywerks savages. so, be advised. buy one, see what happens. there are a BUNCH of new models. a 5R threaded in an HS stock, a lot of new calibers too. check out the site. you can also call and get something made with whatever you want too. if you need an SSS trigger look at brownells or midway. easier than SSS to get ahold of

just pick up a rifle basix trigger from shootersdiscount for $82.25 shipped. Huge improvement in my opinion. Some people like to tinker with the accutrigger to make it light and more friendly, but why bother? If you are spending $1k or more on a rifle (without glass) another $82 shouldn't matter.
(I have the same feeling on no-go gages)

I have a few Savages but they are not the bargains they used to be. Many manufacturers are in the same ballpark now, cost wise, so design and QC would be the factors I would look for in making my selection.

TC

I'm not dead set on a savage but I did like the looks of the 10pc. I'm Thinking the used rifle section here is the way to go I'm really wanting a mcm stock and Dbm on my next rifle

There are MANY MANY threads here and elsewhere concerning the savage Accutrigger and the problems associated with them..I will go as far as saying they are fine for bench target shooting but they have no place whatsover on a tactical rifle regardless of where the trigger weight is set at. They fail to engage in many different conditions particularly wet or hard bolt cycling..I know of several large LE Depts that have many problems associated with the accutrigger and looking to dump the rifles. The triggers SUCK..and the best thing i did was swap it out for a Rifle Basix. The customer service regarding the Accutrigger sucks too..

You could always sell the accutrigger and get the sss trigger from sharpshooter supply. It adjusts to 1.8 lbs.

If you have as much free time for reading as you implied, I would say build a savage. Buy a stevens cheap (or just an action), an aftermarket stock of your choice, a sharp shooter supply trigger, and barrel of your choice. I shopped around, bought a used stock and I think for my build without scope I put in about $600. That gave me the exact gun I wanted, with a stock better than the accustock, a custom barrel and it shoots 1/4 MOA (5 shot group) at 100 yards off of a bipod. PM me if you want to know what parts I used and how much I paid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zohan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Changing out the stock accutrigger is not even an option for most LE Dept rifles. </div></div>

that would be better than changing the entire platform. either the SSS or rifle basix if the accutrigger is an issue. or is it a liability issue that you speak of?? and i do agree. if there are lives on the line, and there is a chance the trigger wont work, swap in something else.

does this issue ever happen when a SSS or rifle basix trigger is installed??

I never minded the accu-trigger and I have run them in matches. One nice thing with the 10FP is you can get it with the McMillan A-5 and send it back to McMillan to have a cheek piece and an adjustable LOP added.

Good Luck,

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have as much free time for reading as you implied, I would say build a savage. Buy a stevens cheap (or just an action), an aftermarket stock of your choice, a sharp shooter supply trigger, and barrel of your choice. I shopped around, bought a used stock and I think for my build without scope I put in about $600. That gave me the exact gun I wanted, with a stock better than the accustock, a custom barrel and it shoots 1/4 MOA (5 shot group) at 100 yards off of a bipod. PM me if you want to know what parts I used and how much I paid. </div></div>

This

I've built alot of custom savage rifles.I'm not a certified gunsmith,just a savage enthusiest for the last twenty + years.Accutrigger or not,they've all worked for me and my buds.I've heard of problems with the accutrigger,but have never expierenced them myself and I've put some of them through real world torture tests and FUBAR tactical situations too.
I still hunt with my fathers LH savage 270win he bought in 1967.The only rifle he bought after getting out of the service.Who else made a stock lefty rifle back then ? 44 yrs of hunting near and far and it's still going strong.Maybe I'm a little biased towards savage because of it's storied past.
The only concern you should have is what glass your going to put on it,while your waiting for it to arrive.Good Luck,
STEVE

Only problem I've ever had with my savage was the accu-trigger. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Not sure why all the time but it just locks up. All you have to do is lift the bolt up and back down. It doesn't happen often like I have said. But if it happens back to back range trips I will buy a new trigger. If your life doesn't depend on the accu-trigger, savages are fine.

see, this is why all the factory trigger suck ass.... people not taking care of stuff, then trying to adjust it, and it missfires....

so savage comes out with the accutrigger as a way to give you, the consumer, a light trigger, and peple bitch about it too...

I too have had mine lock up, when it was new, while I was cleaning it that evening, I noticed what looked like oily carbon at the sear engagement... cleaning and degreased the whole trigger and went back with oil instead of the grease gunk that was in there, never had it happen again, and I tried to make, I slammed the bolt as hard as I could, banged the rifle around, everything...

if the accu trigger is adjusted and taken care of it works...

now, like shoots100, I do like the old ones with the 3 screw triggers better... but don't blame Savage for changing it

chaser,
I haven't seen a review that has anything uncomplimentary to say about the Accutrigger, was it a real review or just someones opinion on a forum? Regardless, just get out and go to some competitions and/or larger ranges you will see allot of Savage's being run with the Accutrigger and Accutrigger/stock very successfully whether off a table/prone or in some very rough and abusive events.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curnow26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could always sell the accutrigger and get the sss trigger from sharpshooter supply. It adjusts to 1.8 lbs. </div></div>

It will actually go from 2 lbs to 12 ounces safely. Making it an even better option over the accutrigger. OP, I would get a savage, drop that trigger in, and you have a nice affordable rig that will shoot great. Then, later on down the road you can rebarrel it yourself as well as other mods.

I've got one of the SSS triggers. Breaks cleanly with no takeup even when adjusted down all the way.

Accutriggers will work for 90% of people with no issues... if you run your shit Hard and Dirty, IE Snipers Challenges, Upgrade to a SSS Trigger. Simple.

Between my crew we run 9 Savages and Growing. And we run them HARD

6964.jpg

That's a nice crew you run with. I have a stock Savage 10FP and was interested in getting it set up to run detachable box mags.
Mind if I PM you with some questions? Sorry for hijacking the post.

Roy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">see, this is why all the factory trigger suck ass.... people not taking care of stuff, then trying to adjust it, and it missfires....

so savage comes out with the accutrigger as a way to give you, the consumer, a light trigger, and peple bitch about it too...

I too have had mine lock up, when it was new, while I was cleaning it that evening, I noticed what looked like oily carbon at the sear engagement... cleaning and degreased the whole trigger and went back with oil instead of the grease gunk that was in there, never had it happen again, and I tried to make, I slammed the bolt as hard as I could, banged the rifle around, everything...

if the accu trigger is adjusted and taken care of it works...

now, like shoots100, I do like the old ones with the 3 screw triggers better... but don't blame Savage for changing it </div></div>
I've done exactly what you have done with yours, and I have not changed the weight on it and it still locks up every once in a while.

Most accutrigger lock ups are caused by the shooter.Here's what usually happens...the trigger finger is not at a 90 degree angle to the trigger but off to the side a bit, OR you may have a fat finger.You go to release it and instead of depressing the safety bar you move the trigger....maybe just a hair but it moves first.Clunk! Lockup...only did what it's supposed to do.Now you have to lift the bolt to reset it.If you're not aware of what YOU did you think it fucked up and YOU may even do it again later.Don't believe it? Get your Savage and try it for yourself.

I too experienced an accutrigger malfunction today while shooting. Chambered a round and click!! The trigger felt mushy/spongy and saw no primer dent when I extracted the round. Chambered 2 more rounds and the same occurred. So I removed the bolt and re-inserted it and the action worked properly from there on. This accutrigger failure is indeed disheartening to me because I own many bolt actions but have never had one fail to fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most accutrigger lock ups are caused by the shooter.Here's what usually happens...the trigger finger is not at a 90 degree angle to the trigger but off to the side a bit, OR you may have a fat finger.You go to release it and instead of depressing the safety bar you move the trigger....maybe just a hair but it moves first.Clunk! Lockup...only did what it's supposed to do.Now you have to lift the bolt to reset it.If you're not aware of what YOU did you think it fucked up and YOU may even do it again later.Don't believe it? Get your Savage and try it for yourself. </div></div>

Very true! It doesn't take much to trip the safety off without even noticing you touched anything. I did this a couple times before I realized i was touching the trigger with my fat ass finger before I had the safety sear fully engaged. I put the target trigger on my gun and it's a picky SOB but it's worth the reduced trigger weight once you get used to it. Same goes for the standard accutrigger. It's a great trigger once your used to it but you just gotta be careful not to touch the trigger before the safety sear is in all the way. I know some guys will disagree, but I like the two-stage feel of the trigger as well.

So, I shot 60 rounds today and I had 3 FTFs in a row. Non before, and non after I removed the bolt and reinserted, which fixed whatever ailed the trigger. Now anything's possible but fatfingering 3 in a row and not fatfingering after removal of the bolt is not exactly probable.

Sure enough I'm new to Savage rifles and will reserve my judgment because I'm still learning their intricacies and trully want my 12FV to work out. Can it be "reliable" 1st and the tac driver it can be? We'll see.

Well I took my newly aquired 110BA 338 lap to the range today and had two FTF's in a row.The 9th and 10th rounds out of 20.Both rounds fired after lifting the bolt,but it did happen.I checked the rifle before heading to the range and all looked good.The rifle is used and when I got it home,I checked the trigger pull weight.It was 1 lb-6 oz.I set it to 2 lbs,so maybe that'll stop the FTF's.I'll find out when I get back from vacation.There's always a first time for everything,but I'll still reccomend Savage rifles.
STEVE

I've noticed shooters having trouble with the accu-trigger.

Stroking the 'Glock' lever to the side even slightly while inserting your finger was the problem. It locked both rifles up and one was an unaltered LE rifle.

I've had an old FP savage for about a decade now. Savage seems to use drunk monkeys to design and build their trigger groups. There simply is no excuse for a tender trigger in a simple bolt rifle. Far too many excellent designs are out there for Savage to insist on its rube goldberg creations.

Best I can say about Savage is for about 900 in parts you can build a sweet rifle if all you use from the factory is the older FP action. I can get a basic savage for 250 or so.

To me a Savage is a good DIY base model, if you buy the older FP design and throw everything away but the action.

A little over 500 rds with mine and not a problem yet, while not shooting in any competitions, it does see some nasty conditions rideing on the 4wheeler and shooting off a dusty road.

After setting the trigger pull to 2Lbs,it didn't give me any problems at the range yesterday.I fired 20 rounds and didn't put any special attention on trigger finger placement.With it being 20 degrees out and wearing thin gloves,It was hard enough feeling the trigger anyway.I fired 5 rounds as fast as I could,to try and make it fail.No problems.I think I might set it to three pounds,as it breaks clean and two pounds still seemed a little lite to me,or maybe it was my frozen fingers.
STEVE

I've owned Savage rifles for years and never had any problems that everybody explains. I can't say that I've tried to make it fail either. I will say that my 10fp is the 1st accutrigger that I've owned. So far I like it and its been reliable.

We'll see on the next range trip, which probably won't be for awhile since they're calling for 6-12" of ice/snow in the next couple days!

cant wait for that snow TJ, lol. are there some places local that shoot any type of comps like we see on here??