• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage ejector question

sblanch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Iowa
My ejector is stuck and I need to know if I can remove the retaining pin, spring and ejector witout removing the bolt head.

Thanks

Re: savage ejector question

best i can do is the diagram, cant see the ejector in it

4333606257_d8ede9f1b9_o.jpg

Thanks axeman

looking at your photo it seems that nothing would require the head to be removed.

Now I wonder wich way the retaining pin drifts out.
I'm thinking it comes out the detented side of the bolt head.

Please note that my ejector has been removed. I use a single feed follower, and pick the cases out of the receiver after extraction.

Truth be told, I had a few experiences involving blown primers which usually resulted in disabled/destroyed ejectors. Eventually, I recognized how little I depended on an ejector and simply left it out.

Greg

My ejector problem was a direct result of a hot load blowing the primer and I guess in turn slamming the ejector back so hard that it over compressed the spring and managed to bind the ejector in its chase.

I had to drill out the old one and replace it and its spring.

As I understand it this is not uncommon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5x5GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My ejector problem was a direct result of a hot load blowing the primer and I guess in turn slamming the ejector back so hard that it over compressed the spring and managed to bind the ejector in its chase.

I had to drill out the old one and replace it and its spring.

As I understand it this is not uncommon. </div></div>

This just happened to me about an hour ago. Was loading up 155 Scenars and I guess they were too hot. Blowing out primers. Now my Ejector is stuck.

Don't know what to do...do I call Savage/order new ejector and spring or what?

Hell, I don't even know how to disassemble the bolt or get the ejector out.

just a guess mind you. but look at the diagram above. it looks like if you want the bolt head off the firing pin needs pulled. remove the bolt assembly screw (BAS) and thats a start. but i would guess again that the whole think has to come apart. get a 1/4" allen, set the bolt on the carpeted floor so the bolt handle will keep the bolt from rotating as you step on the allen wrench. there will be a loud pop. dont get scared. it also helps to kinda step on the bolt with your other foot. but you gotta take it all apart to get the bolt head out as it looks like the firing pin runs thru the bolt head retaining pin. may as well learn now. try brownells before you try savage. i dont know if they will sell you or send free parts. get extra as long as your shopping, like a firing pin spring. unless you have a spare already, you know, with your spare firing pin. i cant really tell you how the ejector is installed, but again, i would say its the small hole next to the bigger hole in the bolt head. need a punch to drift out a pin. something may soot out of somewhere, watch for small fast flying parts. do it inside of a plastic bag.. i dont think you will even need to take it all the way apart. but buy 2 new springs, 2 new ejectors and one new retaining pin just in case

oh im guessing again, but the ejector will pop out when you knock out the pin. dont knock it out all the way, maybe your punch will retain the ejector, if not expect it to rocket out and hit you in the eye, why didnt you wear eye protection? so when you get the thing apart, it goes back the opposite. spring then ejector, then you push the ejector in til the indent (just a guess but there has to be one id think, lets the pin clear, and this should be the part thats funnest. might need a third hand.

also make sure the edges of your ejector are nice and rounded. look at the tips and tricks on the link below. mine was rounded, there were some that werent. use 600 polishing paper on the action and it will smooth out alot of the grit you feel in cycling too. oh, make a bolt lift kit too. under $1

http://www.steyrscout.org/savscout.htm

If you're lucky, the ejector is just bound up on the retaining pin. Try a whack against the boltface with a plastic or brass mallet. Might pop it back. A drop of Kroil into the ejector first can't hurt, either.

Wound up taking it to my local precision rifle builder, Geoff Corn. It took him a couple of minutes to get the Ejector out, must have been stuck pretty good. He wound up using some really fine tipped pick or something to scrape away brass from inside and behind the ejector.

I had tried dripping CLP down into the ejector and let it sit over night, and then slamming the bolt face down on the counter-top...which didn't do anything. Didn't have access to Kroil...whatever that is.

Anywho, the new Savage parts arrived Saturday in the mail! Went to the range and put the new ejector and spring in...works like new!