• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Elite Precision feeding problems

AznTactical

Really bad at math.
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
Wisconsin
Savage Elite Precision 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'm having feeding problems where the loaded cartridge jumps up, jams against the bolt face upper rim and won't go into battery. When it's stuck I release bolt pressure (or pull slightly back) then the round would fall back down into the bolt face then I can continue on. Extremely annoying and need input on what could be causing this before I contact Savage.

-Round count is currently at 81.
-Happens on all ammo, factory and handloads.
-Using 3 MDT metal magazines (ZERO feed issues when I use them in my other MDT HS3 bolt action).
-Mag could be empty or full and still have feeding issues.
-Doesn't matter if I feed it fast or slow either.

Top picture: Cartridge stuck against upper portion of bolt face outer rim.

Bottom picture: Forward pressure released, cartridge drops into chamber so I can feed into battery.

Added video 05.06.20:

Attachments

• 20200505_094133.jpg
    20200505_094133.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
Reactions: demolitionman
Does rocking or tilting the mag forwards or backwards or putting upward pressure on the mag when running the bolt cause any change?

Does rocking or tilting the mag forwards or backwards or putting upward pressure on the mag when running the bolt cause any change?

none at all. I even loaded my rounds with all of them touch the back of the mag then next magazine I loaded them with the tips almost touching the binder plate inside the mag and they all still bind up.

Is there a bur or defect on the bolt face that is binding against the back of the round being chambered?

wondering if the rifle came with a different magazine?
It comes with 1 10rd MDT metal mag. I already own another 10rd and 12rd MDT metal mags. I tried using my Magpul AI Pmag but it doesn't latch and I don't to modify the Magpuls magazine detent.

Wow, how frustrating...it seems you did all the standard things the various forums have advocated. I guess the only other relationship / characteristic that i've seen mentioned is adjusting the feed lips.

Savage should be open now...curious what they say. Will follow along as i strongly considered that rifle. Hope it gets settled out quickly and favorably for you.

Wow, how frustrating...it seems you did all the standard things the various forums have advocated. I guess the only other relationship / characteristic that i've seen mentioned is adjusting the feed lips.

Savage should be open now...curious what they say. Will follow along as i strongly considered that rifle. Hope it gets settled out quickly and favorably for you.

On the bright side this Savage is shooting 0.5" moa or better (if I do my part) with my hand loads (Lapua large primer pocket brass, 41.5gr H4350, 140gr Hornady ELD-M loaded to 0.030" off the lands). It's outshooting my Tikka TAC A1 but the action is not as smooth.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
My 110 Tactical did the same thing. AI mags helped mine a bit, but it was never “right.”

It's been a problem w/ Savage actions and AICS mags for a while.

I've been told you can mitigate it to various degrees by tweaking the feed lips (bending/filing/polishing) but I never seem to get around to it.

I won’t say it’s just limited to just the AICS pattern mags, I had a similar issue with the savage factory 10rd mags. They would override the bolt face and jam up the bolt till I took pressure off the bolt, but you’d almost think they would have it sorted out on a rig that’s just shy of 2K and is supposed to be a turn key competition ready rifle.

Can't comment on the factory 10 rd mags; the factory 4 round mags fed like butter. One would have thought the factory 10 rd mags they had for a while would have worked similarly well with the same feed lips and follower.

Maybe one of their factory guys like Scott Satterlee (@sstacllc ) or Joe Salvador (@POI_Shift ) can pitch in and give some guidance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6brshooter
-No issues with my .308 Savage heavy varmint
-No issues with my 6.5 creedmoor Savage model 10
-No issues with my all stock Savage 110 FCP-SR.
-I put my Savage FCP-SR into a MDT HS3 chassis with MDT mags and 1 modified Magpul mag and no issues.
-No issues in my buddy's Savage 6.5 creedmoor in a GRS stock.
-Now I'm having issues with my most expensive Savage product.
-Still have the same issues when I put my FCP's bolt into my Elite's action.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
-I put my Savage FCP-SR into a MDT HS3 chassis with MDT mags and 1 modified Magpul mag and no issues.
what is the feeding issue be specific there are a number of things that cold be happening. if you could do a video that would be killer

Reactions: LooseGoose
ok I watched the video. would you take a picture of the bolt face. I had the same thing with mine and it turned out to be a very simple fix. The ejector plunger didn't have a bevel cut and was forcing the base of the cartridge over to the right and would bind in the chamber.

Check the plunger ejector. My buddy put in the ejector upgrade on a Savage and it did exactly this. The plunger was too long and stuck out just past the bolt face. He pulled it out and filed it down slightly and presto, it works perfectly. I had an old AI magazine and we bent and twisted feedlips until we were sick of it before we realized the problem. Even if yours is factory fresh, check it out and see. The plunger should not be past the boltface. Taking off a smidge may fix it.

ok I watched the video. would you take a picture of the bolt face. I had the same thing with mine and it turned out to be a very simple fix. The ejector plunger didn't have a bevel cut and was forcing the base of the cartridge over to the right and would bind in the chamber.

Attachments

• 20200506_145040.jpg
    20200506_145040.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 837
I replaced mine an aftermarket kit and still did not help.

Whats the chamfer look like around the breech/chamber? I bet its sharp and case is digging in/hanging up crooked. Once pressure is let off bolt handle, case falls down and feeds in all the way.

Whats the chamfer look like around the breech/chamber?

For the ammo that I tested in my video mark I do not see any scratches on the copper jacket either.

Attachments

• 20200508_111057.jpg
    20200508_111057.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 284
  • 20200508_111122.jpg
    20200508_111122.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 20200508_111145.jpg
    20200508_111145.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 301
On mine, it seemed like once the back end of the case leaves the feed lips, the spring pressure and the round below pops it up so that the cartridge is trying to go thru the lug area and into the chamber above center, or at least tail up, nose down. Pausing or letting off the forward pressure gave it a chance to drop down and level out, at which point it went right in. That's what people were telling me was a feed lip issue; that the round needed to sit higher relative to the bore, so it's not getting that big bump up when it goes forward.

On mine, it seemed like once the back end of the case leaves the feed lips, the spring pressure and the round below pops it up so that the cartridge is trying to go thru the lug area and into the chamber above center, or at least tail up, nose down. Pausing or letting off the forward pressure gave it a chance to drop down and level out, at which point it went right in. That's what people were telling me was a feed lip issue; that the round needed to sit higher relative to the bore, so it's not getting that big bump up when it goes forward.
Yup sounds like a little work on the mag would solve that one

Yup sounds like a little work on the mag would solve that one
Scott, I did contact Savage using their product support page and am waiting for an answer. Modifying my MDT mags is an option but it's not a priority yet until other methods has been exhausted because my mags work awesome in my Savage FCP with MDT chassis. I did shoot some 6.5 creedmoor loaded with Hornady 129gr softpoint bullets that I use for hunting and had absolutely zero feed issues. As soon as I use my 140gr ELD-m's or Factory Federal Premium 130gr Bergers they start jamming again.

Update 5.26.20.

-Savage sent me a brand new MDT mag INSTEAD of an extractor as originally requested.
-Problem still exists using 2 handloads and 2 factory rounds when using this mag.
-Savage is requesting me send in my rifle for service (currently trying to figure out who's paying for shipping)

I hope I hope I hope this isn't a classic case of "I should of went with a Masterpiece Arms PMR" instead.

I had the same issue on my Savage 10 in a HS precision stock with AICS mags. Talked to several smiths and modifying the mags was the recommended solution. Shot great but I sold it shortly after.

My 12FV does the same thing. Did it in the factory stock with the blind mag. Still did it bedded in a Boyd's AT-ONE with the blind mag. Still does it in an Oryx chassis with MDT mags. I had to grind a little bit from an area at the front of the feed lips on my Magpul mags to get them to seat properly in the Oryx (the issue is the Savage magwell opening, not the Oryx), but it doesn't seem to do it as often using those. I've found that closing the bolt fast seems to help when using the Magpul mags also (doesn't make much difference with MDT). It looks to me like when it happens, the feed lips have released the round early enough that the case head is "bouncing" up above the bolt face recess. I haven't tried running it really slow, but if that's what is happening then going slow might help also.

I posted this awhile back but will throw it out there again. I have seen this problem with savages before. It was with the ejection upgrade kit many buy for savages considering they extract okay but eject like shit. The rounds were doing exactly as what you are describing. Bending magazine feed lips did dick. Taking the plunger ejector out and taking off a small amount of material so it doesn’t protrude so far away from the bolt face fixed it 100%. It’s literally a few dollar part. It can’t hurt anything to try.

Reactions: CodeMonkey
I posted this awhile back but will throw it out there again. I have seen this problem with savages before. It was with the ejection upgrade kit many buy for savages considering they extract okay but eject like shit. The rounds were doing exactly as what you are describing. Bending magazine feed lips did dick. Taking the plunger ejector out and taking off a small amount of material so it doesn’t protrude so far away from the bolt face fixed it 100%. It’s literally a few dollar part. It can’t hurt anything to try.

I do have the ejector kit installed, and this sounds reasonable (and I have a spare).

I measured the factory ejector plunger length to be 0.100" from the pin notch and the aftermarket elector plunger at 0.125" from the pin notch. I ground about 0.010" off of the aftermarket plunger leaving about 0.115" length measured from the pin notch.

That seems to have done the trick. I ran 5 rounds from the Magpul and MDT mags through the action several times and didn't have any binding. The Magpul seems to run smoother, but both worked perfectly. Ejection is still better than the factory setup and I can't really tell that shortening the plunger made much difference (I think the stronger spring accounts for a lot of the improvement with the ejection kit). Thanks @wade2big for the help!

Reactions: wade2big
I just skimmed through this so maybe it's been done, but it would be easy to just remove the ejector all together and see if it solves the feeding problem. If it still does it, then at least you know it's something else.
Exactly, 99% its the ejector. I stretched the spring, took a tiny bit of material off the tip to give it a bevel and took a tiny bit of materiel off the groove in order to give it .030 more travel. Then put a slightly larger ball bearing under the extractor. A couple other things to really enhance the rifle was bedding the 20 MOA rail to the receiver and the chassis. Now it comes takes a beat down and has zero POI shift. TW-25 is awesome lube for these guys. The word is a whole new trigger group is on the way. I'll be excited to see what that is like.

Exactly, 99% its the ejector. I stretched the spring, took a tiny bit of material off the tip to give it a bevel and took a tiny bit of materiel off the groove in order to give it .030 more travel. Then put a slightly larger ball bearing under the extractor. A couple other things to really enhance the rifle was bedding the 20 MOA rail to the receiver and the chassis. Now it comes takes a beat down and has zero POI shift. TW-25 is awesome lube for these guys. The word is a whole new trigger group is on the way. I'll be excited to see what that is like.
Hey Scott, can you describe/ show how you bedded the 20 moa rail, I haven’t heard of anyone doing this so I would love to hear some more details.

Reactions: sstacllc
Hey Scott, can you describe/ show how you bedded the 20 moa rail, I haven’t heard of anyone doing this so I would love to hear some more details.
Yup, So I had a bit of vertical .2-.4 that I couldn't explain from range session to range session and then in a match. I had done everything except the rail. NF Scope = not an issue, Bedded the action and chassis = potential issue solved, 6 CM load has been good in everything last 2 years = non issue. You get the picture. I took the scope off and then removed the picatanny base and inspected it and it looked like there was only some small contact patches where oil had accumulated (Oil on rings, screws, bases etc are a good thing). So I dried everything off and used a dab of DEVCON metal epoxy under each of the contact areas. Then screwed the based back down torqued to a bit over spec and let it dry. Most guys would use a releasing agent but I have no plans of ever removing the base so it would take a lot of heat and a hammer to get it off now

Yup, So I had a bit of vertical .2-.4 that I couldn't explain from range session to range session and then in a match. I had done everything except the rail. NF Scope = not an issue, Bedded the action and chassis = potential issue solved, 6 CM load has been good in everything last 2 years = non issue. You get the picture. I took the scope off and then removed the picatanny base and inspected it and it looked like there was only some small contact patches where oil had accumulated (Oil on rings, screws, bases etc are a good thing). So I dried everything off and used a dab of DEVCON metal epoxy under each of the contact areas. Then screwed the based back down torqued to a bit over spec and let it dry. Most guys would use a releasing agent but I have no plans of ever removing the base so it would take a lot of heat and a hammer to get it off now
Thanks Scott!

Savage Elite Precision 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'm having feeding problems where the loaded cartridge jumps up, jams against the bolt face upper rim and won't go into battery. When it's stuck I release bolt pressure (or pull slightly back) then the round would fall back down into the bolt face then I can continue on. Extremely annoying and need input on what could be causing this before I contact Savage.

-Round count is currently at 81.
-Happens on all ammo, factory and handloads.
-Using 3 MDT metal magazines (ZERO feed issues when I use them in my other MDT HS3 bolt action).
-Mag could be empty or full and still have feeding issues.
-Doesn't matter if I feed it fast or slow either.

Top picture: Cartridge stuck against upper portion of bolt face outer rim.

Bottom picture: Forward pressure released, cartridge drops into chamber so I can feed into battery.

Added video 05.06.20:

I had same problem with my Savage Stealth Evolution in 6.5 c.m.
When brand new it would hang up the cartridge about 5/8's inch before completely clambering. No matter how slow or fast you worked the bolt. I vontacted Savage and they wanted to send another another mag, so they did which did not help anything. After me checking it out and measuring etc; I could tell that it had to be the tip of the bullet binding on the chamber wall like it wasn't smooth enough on the chamber walls. Also I told them the ejector did not look like the angle on the end was cut right. Anyway no news after the first week after sending it in for repair. They say about 3 weeks turnaround and thats how long it took. Almost one week to get it there and to right department and two weeks to fix it and then 5 days to get it back.
What they did was change out the ejector and the extractor the first week, and checked out more mags and still was not fixed but had it set up to go to another dept the following monday and check chamber. They said chamber was too tight so they reamed it out basically making it smooth and then polished it. That fixed it. No more jamups at all. I told them I did't want them to cut the chamber over sized and then it shoot like crap. They swore all they did was clean up the chamber and polish it.
I could not believe they let a rifle get out like that and after more research I found lots of people having same problem.
Good luck, but I'm sure thats the problem
Later, Doc

I had the same problem with my stealth evolution, and sent it back to Savage.
They said they adjusted the bolt guide. Still don’t know what that means. But it’s fed flawlessly since.
Academy (where I bought it) paid for shipping. But it was something of a pain to ship through a middle man.

No more jamups at all. I told them I did't want them to cut the chamber over sized and then it shoot like crap. They swore all they did was clean up the chamber and polish it.
I could not believe they let a rifle get out like that and after more research I found lots of people having same problem.
Good luck, but I'm sure thats the problem
Later, Doc

So the rifle now shoots like crap?

Update 5.26.20.

-Savage sent me a brand new MDT mag INSTEAD of an extractor as originally requested.
-Problem still exists using 2 handloads and 2 factory rounds when using this mag.
-Savage is requesting me send in my rifle for service (currently trying to figure out who's paying for shipping)

I hope I hope I hope this isn't a classic case of "I should of went with a Masterpiece Arms PMR" instead.
When I decided to let them fix mine, the lady I spoke with came out and told me that they would send me a shipping label so I did not have to pay either way for shipping. Remember, this problem is theirs not yours. You buy a new rifle that don't work as it should they need to be responsible for the entire job to make it work as it should. You know this is the first rifle bought new that I have had to send back to the factory to correct something. Savage needs to improve its Q.C.

I've been having the exact same issue shown in the first video.
Then I removed ~0.004" from the ejector pin and added a small chamfer but I goofed and didn't put the chamfer on the correct spot.
I no longer have any jams or feeding issues and can load rounds as fast as I need to.

Also, the gaps on my magazines measure around 0.419" and only hold 9 rounds. Almost impossible to fit 10 rounds.
I complained to Savage and they sent me another magazine; but it too only holds 9.

video link:
http://gofile.me / 2HLPc/BOLMLbhCm [remove the gaps]

20200610_172107.jpg
20200610_170721.jpg

Last edited:
Huh, guess I'll buy some ejector pins if pulling mine helps it feed correctly.
Put in one of those kits when I rebuilt a Savage and now I have to load slow as the rounds hit the breach face at the top if I run the bolt to fast.

The ejector plunger didn't have a bevel cut and was forcing the base of the cartridge over to the right and would bind in the chamber.

I finally received the replacement ejector plunger today from Savage and it still has the radius on the head so I decided to bevel it (since I now had a spare) and feed issues resolved! Prior to beveling anything the replacement plunger still binded up my round as expected. Thanks Scott for you guidance and solving my issue!

Scott...great info post. I was having the same issue with a Savage 10 that I just installed in a new MDT ACC chassis. At the range today, rounds were failing to feed smoothly. Worked on the ejector as you described, seated bullets in 10 dummy rounds just now and now it feeds/ejects flawlessly from the MDT mag.
I also used your load development method and found a great load using only 25 rounds. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Pulled the flat face ejector that came in the kit and pulled a rounded savage from another bolt head. Cycles great now.

I noticed the one that came in the kit stuck out passed the head and also the relief cut for the retaining pin was to long causing it to stick out and catch. So it's basically junk. The whole kit is not worth the money. All you essentially get is just a larger ball bearing for the extractor.

Pulled the flat face ejector that came in the kit and pulled a rounded savage from another bolt head. Cycles great now.

I noticed the one that came in the kit stuck out passed the head and also the relief cut for the retaining pin was to long causing it to stick out and catch. So it's basically junk. The whole kit is not worth the money. All you essentially get is just a larger ball bearing for the extractor.

The 9/64 detente balls for the extractor do work well. You can but them from Brownells at the best price. Mine would not eject a case well - I was lucky if the shell cleared the chamber. After putting in the slightly larger detente ball, it will throw brass 6 feet with authority.