• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jager247

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
VA
Here is my Savage F/TR. I am still working on a load for it, and i still need a bi-pod
1cd12a74.jpg

Re: Savage F/TR

Looking at the groups, it's hard to choose. I would suggest ten round groups, several each, and stretching out the distance if possible. I would consider 200yd as a bare minimum distance for that kind of load developement. The key issue becomes vertical spread as distances increase; so doing things that accentuate that (like shooting further) should help in load development/charge weight selection.

Greg

Must be .308 for F/TR. 155gr BTs? The 43.5 looks promising. You probably can try .5-1 gr more. Keep an eye out for pressure signs, like cratered primers, or hard extraction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at the groups, it's hard to choose. I would suggest ten round groups, several each, and stretching out the distance if possible. I would consider 200yd as a bare minimum distance for that kind of load developement. The key issue becomes vertical spread as distances increase; so doing things that accentuate that (like shooting further) should help in load development/charge weight selection.

Greg </div></div>

I'm running 168's. The reason for the 200 yard was I am going to a 200 yard varmint shoot this weekend. I'll drop down to 155's or go up to 177's once I start shooting over 600yards

I may try the 10 shot groups and see what happens. I did clean the barrel between shots so I should have shot some foulers before each group.

On the topic of bipods...

It gets overlooked in most discussions because it's not as sexy as other gear, but your rear bag <span style="text-decoration: underline">and using it properly</span> will save or cost you more points than your bipod.

I run a Sinclair v3, and I really like it, but getting my rear bag right has picked up more points than switching from a Harris did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the topic of bipods...

It gets overlooked in most discussions because it's not as sexy as other gear, but your rear bag <span style="text-decoration: underline">and using it properly</span> will save or cost you more points than your bipod.

I run a Sinclair v3, and I really like it, but getting my rear bag right has picked up more points than switching from a Harris did.

</div></div>

so what rear bag do you like?

I have been looking at the MPOD and the high tech carbon fiber bipod

Loving it so far. I took it to a varmint shoot back in August and scored a 187 out of 190 score. For a stock rifle, I don't think you can beat a savage. My 700's can't hold a stick to this beast