• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage for a Tikka

Arizona8819

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2021
Troy, Ohio
Good morning and happy Easter! I have been looking at getting into long range which for me is 800 meters, I've only shot to 300 as a pog for the Army. I have a Savage model 11 scout purchased in 2017 before I realized the scout concept is quite dated and there are better tools available. The Savage is chambered in .308 and groups well under an inch at 100 yards with Hornady 150 grain hunting ammo. Where I'm at currently in my progression- I've read Long Range Shooters Handbook by Ryan Cleckner, I bought a Viper PST 3-15 on ebay with the EBR-7C in Mil, I'm looking to get Nightforce rings, and I am a bit torn on rifle. The Scout did not come with a proper scope base, so if I'm going to use the Savage, I need to buy a base, and possibly drill and tap. The standard 10 round magazines don't feed reliably, so I'd have to get a couple of 5 rounders and hope they work. I have been looking at the Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 CM, but I can't justify outright buying it right now at MSRP, so I'd have to sell the Savage to partially fund that. Of course the Tikka comes with a solid base and I've yet to see a negative review. Does that sound like a decent move, or should I just go with what I've got and put a couple hundred dollars more into the Savage?
As a side note i often do things backwards like above-- I bought an engine for my Camaro before I had a Camaro for example.

Thanks

IMO, you will be much happier going forward with a Tikka. With the work you’re going to have to put into the Savage, plus their own set of issues, you could be hassle free with some more coin (getting the tikka).

Tikka factory barrels are laser, but just a bit slower than most, so be aware of that. It will not hold you back. Aftermarket support for Tikka is strong. I just spun on my second custom barrel for my T3X action. Very happy with it.

IMO, you will be much happier going forward with a Tikka. With the work you’re going to have to put into the Savage, plus their own set of issues, you could be hassle free with some more coin (getting the tikka).

Tikka factory barrels are laser, but just a bit slower than most, so be aware of that. It will not hold you back. Aftermarket support for Tikka is strong. I just spun on my second custom barrel for my T3X action. Very happy with it.
I'll second this notion. I haven't had the speed problem that seems common among the Tikkas (at least when compared to a B-14 and Model 700), but lasers... lasers man.

Reactions: Arizona8819
I'll be different, you already have the savage.
Remove the rear sight base and those holes are used for the conventional scope mount. $100 for a good base and go shoot.
Spend the other $1000 on ammo and practice.

James

I'll be different, you already have the savage.
Remove the rear sight base and those holes are used for the conventional scope mount. $100 for a good base and go shoot.
Spend the other $1000 on ammo and practice.

James
I appreciate that opinion, to be clear if I got ~ $600 or so for the Savage as-is, I'd be $200 away from the Tikka (accounting for the $100 scope base and two 5 round mags.) So I could use that $200 for .308 ammo and get better, or bite the bullet and get the Tikka.

Reactions: spife7980
Thanks for the input so far, everyone. Im leaning towards selling-- if the Savage mags were good I'd be much more inclined to keep it. Unreliable magazines are just a huge hassle.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Run the bolt on a Tikka.
Run the bolt on the Savage.
Run the Bolt on the Savage and run it off true center and watch the bolt bind
Now run the bolt and try to bind the Tikka. It won't happen.

I have a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. It sits idle in the safe without a scope. I shoot the Tikkas.

Run the bolt on a Tikka.

I have a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. It sits idle in the safe without a scope. I shoot the Tikkas.
Then there's the extractors...

I have a Savage Model 10 GRS in 6.5C, I really have had good luck with it and plan to stay with this platform. However in your situation I would sell the Savage and get the Tikka.

Run the bolt on a Tikka.

I have 100% had the bolt bind numerous times on the Savage

I've had several savages, I have one now, a .223 with an F class barrel. I have three tikka's. I'd buy another Tikka, but I won't buy another savage. the Savage is accurate, but so is the Tikka. The Tikka is much smoother and the trigger is nicer.

Last edited:
Savage was a cool option in 2010. As a relatively easy do it yourself barrel/bolt swap gun. Had a trigger you could adjust very low and still be safe. It was a go to for the “do it yourself gunsmith”

Because you could get this in a sub $300 action. It attracted many to its platform.

Times have changed however. The current offerings out there allow you to spend just a touch more for the same accuracy and better reliability

Savage action has remained the clunky, semi reliable, decent starter package it was in 2010. Which is why it’s not suggested anymore.

The accessories have changed but the heart of the rifle remains the same.