• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage FVT build to FVT/R (pic heavy)

Re: Savage FVT build to FVT/R (pic heavy)

Got the bolt hand, and am about to order another from him. Haven't had it installed, my gunsmith keeps giving me the runaround (come back in a week, etc. Guess I should not have told him I didn't need it really quick). Anyone know a smith where I can send him the bolt and knob and have it installed?

I've finished another paint job on my low budget 308 build, and I hope I will get to shoot it before new years. It's in another post in the bolt section. here's a pic:
oifw55.jpg

Also picked up a nice trainer for offhand and position shooting, an older anschutz 64 match with a mcmillan silhoutte stock. should be a fun winter with a couple of new toys.

Looks Great!

I stalled an adjustable buttplate on a shotgun before- freehanded the hole with a hole saw. It was a Graco. Used a tabletop belt sander to grind the aluminum to fit my stock. Not the best way to pull it off, but it worked.

Obviously the Graco is for a shotgun- are the rifle specific adjustable buttplates made in a different way?

Not sure, Graco makes one for a rifle. I looked at it before I bought the 540 buttplate, but the 540 plate was so close to the size I needed I went with it. It makes a big difference for me, makes the rimfire feel more like a full size rifle.

I was wondering if you would happen to have the part numbers for the bottom metal and trigger gaurd for that stock. I got that same stock but apparently I am unable to find those part numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2guard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
21m5lir.jpg

</div></div>

I'm interested in the buttpad. That website you listed doesn't have an online store, so did you have the catalog or CD on hand? Any trouble shipping from Canada to the US?

Confused89,
here's the link to the bottom metal I purchased:
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-321/Savage-93--fdsh--Mark/Detail
I have also been told that www.savagegunsmithing.com is making 1/8" bottom metal for these rimfires.

Marksman,
I bought the buttplate off of gunbroker, here's the newest listing for it:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=205494649
It took a couple of weeks to get here (I am in TN), but I guess that's not too bad. I called (800# on their site) them and paid via credit card and shipping was reasonable. I am very happy with the buttplate, came with all hardware and only needed polishing before installation. I am thinking about buying another to keep for future projects.
I also double checked the measurements on the buttplate, they are: 4 13/16" x 1.5", with the mounting hole spacing at 3.5" ctc.
hope that helps everyone out.

Thank you very much for the info. You have taken a plain stock to the next level on this one.

I have so mnay ideas for projects now that I want to undertake. Thanks for taking the time to post up your work and the progress.

I'm in the process of researching Savage 22lrs and just came across this thread.. and WOW! Excellent work 2guard, very inspiring!

This has me considering working over my Savage rimfire.

Very nice write up, pictures were excellent!!

Tag for camo patterns. Great write up and nice camo job. This makes me want to get a rimfire trainer.

HOLY CRAP!!! This is an awesome thread!!!!

There should be a "how-to" section and this could be a sticky there!!

2guard, a very VERY nicely documented and shared post on a sure-to-pleas rifle.

Thank you for sharing!!

-G45

thanks for the bump, forgot how old this thread was.

Had this rifle out last weekend, shooting at 50 with lapua center-x through a 6.5-20x50 vortex viper. Still accurate.
5 shot group
sls0tf.jpg

10 shot group
mbpg8x.jpg

probably be tighter with a better driver behind the gun.