• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage "Hog hunter" Model11

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
Have any of you seen this? Just saw it today, and think this is the direction I am going to take my 1st build. Specs are a 20"med. contour threaded barrel, with iron sights, dbm, in .308. What is not to like about this set up for a hunting/target rig?
Any feedback appreciated.
Eric

Re: Savage "Hog hunter" Model11

Nothing. Also look at the Savage Predator Hunter and Scout offerings. I have those two (the Scout's a 7.62x39, maybe a better Hog round with HP's. My Predator Hunter's a .260), and they are both excellent for the field.

Greg

Just looked at it, looks fine but I don't believe it's a dbm. CKruse

Even if its not a dbm, mine will be. I just picked up an 11 with a dbm,in.308. This should work out nicely.

I've never really been a huge fan of Savage's, but I have to admit, they are coming out with some pretty nice rigs. Also, in caliber's that shooters like members of snipershide would appreciate. 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5X284.

I tried my predator Hunter .260 for FV200 match shooting. It needs a few minor mods.

The cheek rest is decidedly lower than what I need. I'll be putting something together to address that.

Surprisingly, recoil with 140SMK's is rather haevy. I don't mind (or even notice it, but my Wife did and suggested it was pushing me around rather thoroughly. I have since filled the stock cavity with bucksot as a reversible response. The rifle is a lot heavier now.

I will also be doing load development with the 95gr V-Max, the 140SMK is not needed at 200-250yd.

Barrel heating is an issue. The contour is lighter than a varmint tube, and it has emphatic fluting. I am adding a mirage band, and will be working on loads to reduce the overall energy being dealt out. For paper, it's not necessary to be running at such a high throttle setting.

Very few of these issues would be nearly as significant in a hunting scneario.

Meanwhile, the Scout is simply a crowd pleaser, but it suffers an small ways from poor commercial ammo quality; Nobody seems to be providing much more from their offerings beyond the noise factor. I want more than that for/from this rifle; I think it can perform well enough to take better advantage of a good load.

Greg

cserv, i just about got that model but went with a 24" 10fcp in HS stock. Love the accutrigger while some hate it but I think it is great. Drop in bottom metal is fairly cheap and member ForceMultipler might be able to help with that.

Since my model 11 has the factory dbm, I am going to try some 10rnd Ratmags. Just need to get irons put on a barrel,and probably some sort of brake or flash suppressor.

Just stumbled across this thread and thought I would add my experience with this rifle.

FWIW, the Savage Hog Hunter (.308) shoots like this with 168gr SMKs, and a Leupold 3.5-10x50. (Leupy mounts fine with medium Warne QD rings/bases). After zeroing scope, barrel was fairly warm when these were shot. 100yds from bench propped on generic public range sandbags ...

IMG_6783.jpg

IMG_6784.jpg

IMG_6789.jpg

IMG_6788.jpg

Not bad for a $419.00 rifle with cheapo synthetic stock...IMO.

BTW - No BDM, and very rudimentary irons.

I am getting one as soon as budget is there. Cut barrel off to 16", paint scope & firearm white camo & use it for my light yote gun with 62 grain pills

What's the bolt spacing on this rifle in .308? I have ordered one and I will probably change the stock.