• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Long Range Hunter 300wsm

Rant Durden

Calmer than you
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
Yes I know, its a Savage.

I have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 300wsm that I’m starting to work up, but I can’t get a group at 50yards better than 3”. I was shipped a new stock from Savage due to some recall, but I’ve checked and rechecked it and changed scopes as well. three different types of factory ammo as well.
Any suggestions (besides tossing it) would be appreciated

Reactions: The D
Never had a savage that didn't shoot, can't say I've ever shot groups a 50 yards either except for my .22LR. I'd pull it out of the stock and make sure it's seated and torqued properly, is there a scope base, make sure it's tight, double check everything. If that doesn't work have someone else shoot it too.

Reactions: Rant Durden
It’s an accustock likely, so there should be a torqueing pattern for it that you can google. Try that and make sure the barrel is floating. Lookup what ammo savage recommends and try that if you can find it. If it doesn’t group after checking stock and floating, call savage. I’m quite certain they have an accuracy guarantee

Reactions: Rant Durden
It's a Savage.
Both of mine ( 110 in .223 and a 93R17 ) shoot far better than I ever will. Fit and finish of a Tikka or Bergara? Nope. Bullets on target? Savage has a reputation for that and has had for a long time. That didn`t just happen. I`d wager, as others have suggested, that there`s something "mechanical " going on with the OPs rifle.

JFYI ; If the tang on a savage isn't floated like the barrel it won't be as accurate as it should be. Even on a accustock the action won't be seated.
Also this can cause the action to bind!

Many of savages problems could be fixed by just addressing this one issue.