• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage M-116 FSK in 338WM (1990's era)

JDixon

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
Peoria, Arizona. USA
Hey folks. First official post!
smirk.gif

I was hunting around a few pawn shops yesturday just for shits and giggles and ran across a nearly new Savage; a Weather Warrior M-116 in 338 WM. I did a quick check of it - seemed okay but the rifling seemed somewhat worn. I asked the clerk about it and he said that's why they were selling it for 200 bucks.

Now the Savage 110/116 (same weapon, different finish) actions alone go for about 200-250 so I figured what the hell; turn it into a project gun. Buy a new barrel - maybe something match grade.

I bought it, brought it home and had a little light turn on in my head - run some copper/lead solvent through the bore and see what happens. Well I did - let it soak for about an hour then ran a brush through it a few times... the bore is perfect! Looks brand new!

So with that in mind - I'll be replacing the stock since I'm not too fond of the standard savage stocks. But the question is:

Have any of you fired the 116 series? Perhaps in 338? If so, what are your thoughts on it and it's potential accuracy?

I have a couple M700's in 300WM and a custom in 338LM so I know this round's somewhere in between; I tend to use them both at around 500-900yds with groups between 4.5" @ 500, 9.5-10" @ 900 and I'm curious if any of you know if this rifle has the same potential accuracy in factory condition, or if it's worth while to just break it down and fit a custom tube.

Thanks ahead of time!

riflet.jpg

rifle2d.jpg

rifle3.jpg