• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mark ii bedding?

Bmx123

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2021
Meriden, Connecticut
Hi guys. I have an old lefty Mark ii that I was thinking of trying to bed, but it already has pillars. Is it useless to bed a rifle that already has pillars? Thanks

I will start by asking how many action screws does it have? The early ones have 1, I upgraded mine to the later model with 2. Then which stock do you have? How much flex is stock near the action, their plastic stocks needs to be made rigid before you think about bedding it. I upgraded mine to a Boyd’s laminated stock. Normally, if there are pillars and they have contact on the top with the stock and bottom with the action bolts, they should to a decent job.

Thanks. Its a wood stock with two action screws. I guess I don't really need to bed it. I just wanted to try it out because I'm bored. Haha

Hey bmx - How's your accuracy with this? I haven't gone to full bedding yet as I have only had my B22-BV a couple months and not yet sure if it's me or the gun that won't get under 0.5" very often. I took out the fore end liner to get a full-float for a while first. Just 'for your consideration' I found a 3-page thread about bedding and tuning and harmonics-just wanted to share if you're interested = http.s://www.shootersforum.com/threads/piller-bedding-vs-glass-bedding.47482/
Lots of tech stuff butma give you ideas. My next step may be a "Soft bed" like with RTV gasket as someone had suggested, forget if it was in this thread. Idea is that the 'soft bed' reduces harmonic vibrations while not pressing the barrel very much - Who knows until you try ?
PS - You could line your stock with saran wrap or something to make the RTV a reversible mod?

Last edited: