• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mark II FV-SR Slow Build

Simplejack

Private
Minuteman
I just picked up a Savage Mark II FV-SR today for my target only tactical paper killer. :cool:

Plans are to add the usual tactical accessories to make it look and function good. Slow build though because I don't have much extra money to get all the stuff for it right away, but I will update with images once I start adding more things to it and for anyone who wants to build one of these guns something to look at for ideas. Not sure what else I might do to this gun, but if I do something I will post it for anyone who may be interested.

My shopping list of what I will be adding later this year.

MKII Tacticool Stock & Bottom Metal Deluxe Kit
Mueller Tactical Rifle Scope 8.5-25x 44mm
Savage FV-SR Compensator
Harris Engineering S-BRM Hinged Base 6 - 9-Inch BiPod
Weaver Tactical Four Hole Picatinny 1" Rings - Medium Height
Triad Stock Pad

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

Last edited:
Further inspection it seems like the threads all the way down are very rough. A .10 cent bolt from the hardware store as smoother threads. Not sure if that is normal or not? It's not chipped up like the end, but they are rough almost like the machine making the threads was vibrating or off balance slightly, but that is just a uneducated guess.
I filed a service request about my issues with Savage, so we will see what happens with that..

That looks nasty to me! The crown don't look so great either. You might want consider contacting savage about fixing that

I actually contacted the actual warranty repair building and spoke with someone. I asked him if he can look at a few images and tell me what can be or will be done to this barrel or if it is something I can just repair myself. He is also going to show the images to the gunsmiths in the morning and then we will see after that what I'm going to do. If I send in my gun, it will take 5 to 6 weeks to get it back..
I'm not going to be shooting my gun until I get all the stuff I need for it, but still. I like to hold it and pet it while it lays in my bed.

Mine wasn't great on my MKII TRR-SR, and had no plans on ever needing the threaded end so I had my gunsmith chop it off and re-crown the barrel. Cost was $75 and worth it over waiting for Savage to fix it

I actually contacted the actual warranty repair building and spoke with someone. I asked him if he can look at a few images and tell me what can be or will be done to this barrel or if it is something I can just repair myself. He is also going to show the images to the gunsmiths in the morning and then we will see after that what I'm going to do. If I send in my gun, it will take 5 to 6 weeks to get it back..
I'm not going to be shooting my gun until I get all the stuff I need for it, but still. I like to hold it and pet it while it lays in my bed.

Jack those threads are torn, it was cause by someone not paying attention to the tooling.
The threading insert was smoked,... 4-6 weeks to fix it, that sucks

I heard from Savage and this is what they said at the repair facility.

"I have spoken with the gunsmiths and I was just waiting another day to contact the engineers. With the pictures you sent me we can tell this rough for our barrels, but we did test fire it and is within factory spec for accuracy. This roughness is probably just aesthetics. I would recommend sending it in anyways and we can get that cleaned up for you."

So I will be sending in my rifle to have it cleaned up. Seems to be great customer service so far, but will will see what happens once i get my rifle back. I think everything will be ok.

Let us know how the new muzzle comp works out on the range. I have always been curious about those. Everyone says why put one on a 22? I always had a feeling there could be a benefit there.

I heard from Savage and this is what they said at the repair facility.

"I have spoken with the gunsmiths and I was just waiting another day to contact the engineers. With the pictures you sent me we can tell this rough for our barrels, but we did test fire it and is within factory spec for accuracy. This roughness is probably just aesthetics. I would recommend sending it in anyways and we can get that cleaned up for you."

So I will be sending in my rifle to have it cleaned up. Seems to be great customer service so far, but will will see what happens once i get my rifle back. I think everything will be ok.

So if it shoots great, and you're not going to be mounting suppressor on it, but instead you are going to put a comp on, which looks like it fits on perfectly, why send it in to Savage?

So if it shoots great, and you're not going to be mounting suppressor on it, but instead you are going to put a comp on, which looks like it fits on perfectly, why send it in to Savage?

I haven't shot it yet and not going to be until I get all the accessories I need for it first. I would like to add a suppressor for it, but that is $600 later and a 1 year wait time.
The Comp does fit perfect and I love it, so I will be happy with it even if I decide not to get a silencer.
Sending it to Savage because they are going to clean it up. I plan on keeping this rifle for the rest of my life, so I don't want to spend all my lifetime wishing I would have sent it in and had them clean up the crown and threads. As you can see, they are not suppose to look that way. I bought it new because I wanted it to look brand new.
I just hope all this time I spent on this gun is going to be worth it and be a good shooter..

Here's my 93R17 FVSS with the Savage tupperware stock like you have. I added a Karsten Cheek Rest narrow, one of the blems for $39, and bedded and filled the forearm and butt with marine-tex to make the stock solid. I added some steel shot to the mix in the butt to add some balance weight. Then I took a wood burner to it to at a better texture than the factory checkering.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409554147.863984.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409554165.587457.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409554184.204177.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409554205.690205.jpg

Just got my rifle back today! Took about 5 weeks and customer service was A+++++
After looking at it, they decided to just replace the barrel, so they ordered one from Canada and replaced it. They also refinished my whole gun and sent me a 5 round mag all for free. :cool:
I was going to Duracoat it, but now with this new finish I don't need to and I would probably do more harm then good anyway.

Here's some pictures of the finish and the end of the new barrel. Looks much better I think.
The threads are still a little rough, but not as bad as it was.

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished mine. I went with SWFA 16x scope and the Rifle Basix trigger.View attachment 42832

I went this route too, just different optics. It is very accurate and very fun. Let us know how the compensator works out, I didn't even know it was available. I always wanted to put something on those threads, but a $600 can on a $300 .22 didn't seem right to me.

Boy the savages bring back memories!!! I can promise you once you dump that stock, you will be a lot more happier! Once you shoot it give us a range report.

I can't wait to get rid of this plastic stock, I hate it. Gotta wait until after Christmas time though to get a new one.. :(
Going to try and get out next weekend as long as it's not raining.
Got a few boxes of American Eagle Federal lead nose, CCI Standard Velocity lead nose and some Remington SubSonic lead Hollow Points.
Should have results for 50 yards and 100 yards.

am i the only one that drilled out for the 3rd action screw?

Attachments

• photo51554.jpg
    photo51554.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 18
I did get my Savage FV-SR Compensator #SAV002 today and was able to install it before sending it off. I think this rifle looks much better now. I just hope it doesn't affect the accuracy...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i47.photobucket.com\/albums\/f192\/Picturesfrom2006\/IMG_3229.jpg"}[/IMG2]

That compensator looks great! Is there a practical reason to have a compensator on a .22lr or is this just a tacticool device? I really don't care for that oversized thread protector that came with my Mark II TRR-SR!!! Is the compensator aluminum or stainless steel? My Mark II could use one....any performance / quality advantage of steel versus the aluminum compensator considering I will be taking it off on occasion to use a suppressor?

Attachments

• photo60894.jpg
    photo60894.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 59
  • photo60893.jpg
    photo60893.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 35
  • photo60895.jpg
    photo60895.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 40
  • photo60896.jpg
    photo60896.jpg