• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage mark II TRR SR

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
I had another thread going (https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...r-training-fun-cz-455-model-or-other.6901164/)

and was leaning hard towards the CZ Tacticool based on your recommendations but then I found this online
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/rimfire/mark-ii/mark-ii-trr-sr

its a savage mk II in a wood stock, heavy threaded barrel, acutrigger and a picatinny rail on top. how do the mk II's fair? I know savage in general do not feed/function as well compared to other centerfire actions (typically) but are the mkII rimfires plagued with problems or are they good shooting and reliable rifles? would you consider a savage or just go with a CZ?

I like my BTVLSS. 2 things I can do without. Having to remove stickers from my rifle, and shitty magazine construction. Other than that, it’s a nice rimfire and cost effective for what I needed it for. A bit unsure of that odd “rail system”. I’d rather have a longer top rail for a NV clip on set up.

I have the older Mark II TR model which has a fluted, non-threaded barrel and a Tacticool stock, and it is a fantastic shooter with zero modifications. My tricked out CZ 455 with Lilja barrel barely shoots any better than the Savage, and in hindsight was mostly a waste of money just to chase something with a threaded barrel, better chassis options, and aftermarket trigger choices.

Mine, heavily modded, will definitely run. To me it was (or ended up anyway) a barreled action. Out of the box it probably has the best trigger, and that’s about it. The Ruger and CZ beat it in every other respect. The mag issue may or may not be significant. IMO, I, maybe not you, have to work to get these cheap .22s to shoot what I consider “well”.

Short answer, get the CZ of your choice.

Long answer, I have a Savage TR and had (note: had) a TRR-SR also. The TR has taken some work to get to shoot well, but so far I'm keeping it. The TRR-SR was probably a lemon, but it was junk IMO. 1" 50yd groups from that type of rifle with good ammo is what I consider junk, though I'm sure some would dispute that position. Anyway, none of my CZs have ever required any serious effort to shoot .4-.6" 50yd groups with good ammo. So, my money would go to CZ.

Reactions: z7.jled
I have been having the same debate. I found the savage NIB from a private party locally for about $150 less than the best price I have found on the CZ. I like the cz, and it may be a better gun, but I wouldnt take the bet that it will shoot any better. The backwards safety on the CZ bugs the hell out if me too.

Different strokes and all, but for my money the Savage BV in wood stock is the choice. I'm getting squirrel's vaunted .4-.6" 50 groups and great shooting even out to 300 meters with it, completely unmodified, with CCI SV ammo. I personally don't ask for more than that from a .22.

I had a "tacticool" savage. Made me miss the 10/22 I had recently sold at the time. My 77/22, .22lr, will out shoot the savage all day. Love that little ruger

Thanks. That was during "paperwork " this morning. Probably during a push.

But the 77/22 I currently have, will, outshoot said savage. Same with the aforementioned 10/22

I also have a TR; the non railed or threaded version. I have easily shot .5 and smaller groups at 50yds if thats the measure of success. Although my best results were with CCI SV or Eley Target Rifle in the Remington Box. My luck with Winchester T22 and any other high velocity rounds were nothing impressive. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase. I've never had any magazine issues that I see mentioned in this thread; but maybe that's just luck.

I will say though that given the price range I'd probably go with the 455 at only 50 more than a TR and about 50 less than a TRR. I know its not in a tacticool stock but I'd also encourage you to look at the MKII FVT you can transplant it into a boyds stock for the total cost of a TR but you'll have Palma style sights instead of a scope.

Gotta chime in here, have shot the TRR-SR for 5 years and it’s without a doubt one of my favorite rifles to shoot, added bottom metal but that’s it—performance wise. Like any .22 it will choose it’s own Ammo, I extensively tested Lapua, Elley, Wolf, and everything else, finally settling on Norma and CCI standard. There’s no better feeling than that quizzical look people give you as it hits 300m at the range
F1A7881F-E804-495F-B945-619043588E77.jpeg
F1A7881F-E804-495F-B945-619043588E77.jpeg

But in full honesty, and as some have already stated, sometimes the rounds won’t feed correctly or they will score the bullet while chambering, obviously affecting accuracy when that occurs. Surely there’s a fix but it’s never bothered me too much.

I love my little MKII BTVLSS. Yep, I'm a lefty so my options are a little more limited overall. Once I found its preferred ammo (Wolf Match), it shoots tiny little groups at 50 yds as long as I am up to the task.

Reactions: Spblademaker
Another for the FVSR. Mine will shoot sub .5 when I do my part
1541342284279.jpg

15 shot group @ 50 yards
1541543305063.jpg

I don't believe less than a 10 shot group shows true accuracy. I prefer 15 or 20 shot groups to really see what the rifle/ammo combo is doing. That includes at least 2 mag changes.

Reactions: Rolltide
I owned the FVSR. It was very accurate and I did not have feeding problems. I did not like how cheap and ugly it was.

It was replaced with a CZ 455 and it is tremendously higher quality, just as accurate and more comfortable

...and then some asshole showed me a picture of the Tikka T1X.....

Reactions: z7.jled
Yours looks nice. If that Boyds stock was available when I still owned mine I probably would not have sold it. The stock that came with mine looked like a child used a hair dryer to bend plastic into a wack em stick

This thread is a little dated, but I just picked up one of these recently and tested alot of ammo I had on hand. Rws r50, federal ultra match, sk pistol match, lapua polar biathlon, eley match, eley edge, eley pistol match, federal auto match, and cci standard. The federal, lapua, and eley shot the best. Surprisingly the cci standard and auto match did well also. I then tested the 6 best with a can, and had amazing results. Sk pistol match on top, federal ultra match in the middle, and lapua polar biathlon on bottom. The flier (1st shot) on the lapua was from a different lube in the barrel. All 10 shot groups @ 50yds

Attachments

• 20200310_162911.jpg
    20200310_162911.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200310_162907.jpg
    20200310_162907.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200310_162902.jpg
    20200310_162902.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: crackerbrown
I like my fvsr in a rigid alloy chassis. It took a lot of polishing on the bolt to remove the god awful finish they put on it, but now it cycles like glass and is accurate as all get out.
I was ringing steel at 200 yards last weekend.

I have one and it's a very good gun. I have a Super Sniper SWFA 20x scope on a EGW 40 moa mount with a Rifle Basic's trigger. I took that front picatinny thing off, it's sharp and weighs a lot. This gun shoots and is flawless with the 5 rnd magazines some 10 rnd mags can be a problem. I just picked up a Bergara .22 but I will still keep the Savage. By the way the Rifle Basic trigger is spendy @$100 but well worth the money very impressed. It likes the cheaper ammo too wish I could say that about the Bergara