• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

savage MK 2 TR

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
hello,new here. found this site in a web search for info on the above gun. found a few threads about it here in a google search. looking for some more input. specifically has anyone used one at 100-200 yards? i ask because i want to shoot more long range than i have recently and a rather severe shoulder injury and surgery put me into shooting a lot more 22rf than previously. also, no ranges > 200yds anywhere close to me(no.cent. fl.).i figure i can do a long range thing shooting a 22 at 1-200. should be about same as using a 308 at 6-1000. the TR looks good but i have seen a few function issues mentioned,worst being feed poblems. i would like to hear anyone's input on long range use of these. .25 @ 25 and .5 @ 50 are really just m.o.a. and i figure i will need a .5-.75 m.o.a. gun to get 2-3 m.o.a. @ 200. human/wind/technique/ammo issues being all factors at that range. thanks for any replies.

Re: savage MK 2 TR

mach 2? was looking for input on savage mk2 Tr at long range. did i phrase my question wrong?

TR, Falcon Menace, Rimfire Technologies Base, Harris Bipod.
.45 MOA at 50 yds with Wolf Extra.
I'm a novice shooter.
Love this gun!

1274482163758.jpg

Just got one a couple weeks ago.

Action was a bit stiff, I used a needle file and deburred the action on the inside where the bolt handle rides and it smoothed right up.

I also cut the barrel back to 21", threaded it and sanded the paint off the barrel leaving the flutes black.

No feeding issues (only have a 100 rds through it).

Shoots a little over an 1" @ 100yds. I hoped for better and it may get better, but I like it.

Oh yea, mine is in 17HMR.

IMAG0013.jpg

Phone pic, sorry.

MKII's are pretty accurate, i have two, though not one in the tr configuration.

there is no accuraccy enhancements to the tr, mostly cosmetics and the a-5 styled stock.

we can all say what groups we are getting, and it will vary, but i would check out the pics of groups in the rimfire comps sticky threads at the top of the forum, it'll give you an idea of what to expect at 100 and 200 yards using the mkii heavy barrel configuration.

i had the oppurtunity to shoot one a few weeks back, the stock is pretty darn comfy. the accutrigger is nice, however i do prefer the rifle basix. they were using shitty remington ammo, at 50 yds was touching holes, after that it was a hail mary group at 100, would be much better with match ammo.

i would say that you wouldn't go wrong picking one up, it is a pretty comfy settup, both looks and feels great, and the accuraccy isn't bad either.

feeding issues, i heard of a few, but that could be due to many reasons, from the magazines to the type of ammo used.

in either of the two mkii's i have, i have not had any feeding issues. i have one in the old receiver style, and the new E receiver.

realistically, i'd have to say that less than 2" with good wolf ammo at 100 yards, with an average of 1.25" on good shooting days. 200 yards is a trip shooting with ANY .22, but also i'd have to say around a 5" - 6" group is realistic on a good shooting day. at 200 yards the drop of my .22 with match velocity is approx. equal to 510 yards to my .308

i don't know if that'll help you out, and i just want to say welcome to the hide.

Mike - where in NCF are you? THere is a 800 yard range in Graham (west of gainesville, before keystone). Not sure on membership requirements.... Fav range of mine is the public range in the Osceola Nat'l forest in Lake City.

Anyway, the Mk II is a pretty accurate gun (as is the 93). Yes, you can buy more accuracy, but for what you save you can get a much better scope (will prbably help more with accuracy), or spend some $ on a bunch of match grade ammo, etc.

my TR has over 2000 Rds down the tube no problems so far except for an undersized scope base from the factory and the gun can outshoot me.

I just picked one of these up a couple weeks ago. Took it to the range yesterday for some "dialing in" and tried a few different types of ammo. I ended up putting about 400rds through it with no feeding issues. When I first brought it home, the action was a little stiff, but a little "polishing" of the bolt on a buffing wheel had it cycling <span style="font-style: italic">very </span> smoothly. Of the ammo I tried yesterday (Federal GMM, CCI std, CCI subsonic, RWS subsonic HP, and Wolf Sport Plus (gold box)
My best groups were with the Wolf and RWS at aproximately 1/2"-3/4" at 100 yds. Next best was CCI subsonic giving around 3/4"-1" groups at 100yds. I plan to try a few more types of ammo, but the local shops have a very limited selection when it comes to good .22 ammo, so I will have to place an order.
I will also be ordering some 10 rd mags, because the 5 rd that the rifle comes with just goes way too fast.
I replaced the factory 2-pc bases with a R/T 25moa base and mounted a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50 (tactical)scope with 80moa of adjustment, so I'm sure "reaching out" won't be a problem. I gave the accutrigger set at it's lightest, and while it's pretty good, I'm going to see about getting a lighter spring from Savage. I just prefer a really light trigger.
Once I try a few more ammo combinations and see where that gets me, I may or may not decide to do some other "performance upgrades". The Mk II TR is not an Anschutz, but for under $400 it is a great rifle and I am personally very happy with it so far.

Here she is as she currently sits:
2j3puzm.jpg

Once I have a chance to try some more ammo, I'll put together a real "review/range report" with pictures.

For the MkII TR owners, does the ejection port measure 1 3/8 or 1 5/8? Any searches I've done are mentioning the 93 and I suspect the .17 may have the slightly larger port and I'd prefer to order once for the TR model.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the MkII TR owners, does the ejection port measure 1 3/8 or 1 5/8? Any searches I've done are mentioning the 93 and I suspect the .17 may have the slightly larger port and I'd prefer to order once for the TR model.

Thanks </div></div>

There is a thread on the rimfirecentral.com savage section that details Mk II vs 93 vs new E receiver (same for all calibers) - I think that will help get your answer for ejection port size.

Hey thanks for posting that link up. So, if im correct, the Mark 2 tr has the e-reciever and the 93 base should be bought for it?

My list of MKII's include the F, FV & TRR ( i think it is the same as a tr with the addition of the funky three sided rail). The F is a good shooter. The FV is a great shooting rifle. It wears a SS 4X scope & EGW 20 MOA rail & the TRR has a RT 25 MOA rail with a Sight Mark scope. It shoots good groups also, but not as good as the FV. I was playing with it & the FV this morning, trying some Aguila 60 gr Sniper Sub Sonic ammo. The FV shot dime size groups & the TRR was getting 1" groups at 50 yds with the same ammo. Both rifles like the CCI Sub Sonic & the TRR seems to favor the CCI MiniMag stuff. I'm thinking that the extra 2" barrel length has something to do with this, but will do some more testing & see if i can come up with a good explanation. 100 & 200 yd shots with these rifles are no problem, with about 2 MOA @ 100 & 5 to 6 MOA @ 200 yds.

Just got one of these rifles myself and have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Only tried 2 ammo types so far Wolf target was best at 2.25" group at 50yds and Federal wallyworld special was 3.50" at 50yds.

Rifle is stock with Center-Point 4X16 on factory bases and Harris bipod.

Gonna try another scope and more different ammo types, but if I can't get it down to "Minute of Squirrel" its going back to factory.

I will have to admit that my TRR only has about 600 rounds through it now, & seems to be getting better as the round count goes up. I guess I should be patient & give it some more time. By the way BigJohn, those Center Point scopes are worth the money. I have three of them. They just keep on workin'!

I plan on buying the TR on Wednesday but would like to purchase the EGW 20moa mount for it tonight. Is your ejection port the 1 5/8ths? or the 1 3/8ths? I have the FV but I am not sure if the reciever is the same.

Thanks,

Grunt

Spent the last 2 1/2 hours stoning & polishing the trigger in the TR R. Installed some shims to help take the side movement out of the accu-trigger blade & did some spring work. The sun is coming up now so I'll head to the farm & try it out. It's GOTTA' help!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spent the last 2 1/2 hours stoning & polishing the trigger in the TR R. Installed some shims to help take the side movement out of the accu-trigger blade & did some spring work. The sun is coming up now so I'll head to the farm & try it out. It's GOTTA' help! </div></div>

Well, the trigger work did help, but I'm still not happy with it yet. Might have to opt for a aftermarket trigger. I did loosen the action screws from 20 to 16 in/lbs & My group tightend up. I think I'll go down to 15 then to 17, & see what happens.

Think I may have to send my TR back to the factory. 200 rnds through it, have replaced the mounts with EGW 20moa rail and tried 3 different scopes. Still can't get the accuracy it should have, 1.5" at 50 is best I can get with most groups over 2". At 100 it looks like I used a shotgun.

If anyone has some ideas I would love to hear them.

check the action screw for tighteness.

try different ammo, especially wolf extra or match target.

i don't mean any disrespect, but i have to ask. is the shooter able of tighter groups?

Wolf Match is the only precision load I've used, got my local gunshop getting me some Federal Gold Match, Eley Club and a box of Fiocchi exacta rifle super match. I've used Wolf Match, CCI Velocitor, CCI Mini-Mag and Federal bulk pack.

I have not checked the action screws yet, doing that tonight will try at range tomorroW.

Action screw right in front of the magazine was loose enough to turn with my fingers, torqed to 16inch pds will see if that helps

That loose screw probably didn't help matters much. I have been trying different torques on the action screws & find 16 - in / lbs to work well.
I worked the trigger over on my rifle & it helped, but it is still not a good as the trigger in my MKII FV. This might be because there is a few thousand rounds difference between the two, or I didn't do as good of a job on this one. At any rate, I decided to break down & order a Rifle Basix trigger. It will be here Tuesday. I'll report on the trigger after I shoot with it. If I really like it, I'll buy the same trigger for the FV.

Welp, it didn't help so Monday it's getting boxed up to go back to Savage. I tried 4 more different ammo types at the range this morning, a different scope and had one of the old benchrest shooters at the range try it out and he didn't do any better.

Hey one thing to check before you send it back Savage had a run of undersized scope bases make sure your rings are tight on the bases.

I'm picking up a TR tomorrow. Is the accutrigger on the MkII's the same as the accutrigger on the centerfire rifles? More importantly, can the same aftermarket triggers be used for either rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knight_dive</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm picking up a TR tomorrow. Is the accutrigger on the MkII's the same as the accutrigger on the centerfire rifles? More importantly, can the same aftermarket triggers be used for either rifle? </div></div>

Good for you! I'm sure you will like your new TR.
Midway shows the Rifle Basix trigger as different part mumbers for centerfire & rimfire Savae rifles. There are two diferent pull weight triggers for the centerfire & only one for the rimfire. P/N 294815. I would guess the accutriggers are different & doubt that they are able to be used between the centerfire & rimfire models.

shooters discount has the rifle basix trigger on sale right now for $79.65 shipped. well worth it and cheaper than everywhere else I've seen.

Thanks to Kansas 45 and 2guard.

I think I'll give the factory trigger a 500 rounds or so of break in to see if I like it or not. I'm going to order a Diversified Innovative Products 25 moa mount (formerly the Rimfire technologies mount??) and pick up a scope for it this weekend. It seems based on this thread that these rifles have a get better after a few hundred rounds so I've got a thousand rounds or so of cheap federal to burn through before I start spending money on Wolf or any of the other match stuff. Its pretty tough to find any match .22lr on the shelf around here, but my local reloading guy will order some for me.

I just picked up a 93r17 TR for $368 out the door at Scheels in Appleton, WI. They had one left for that price if there are any local guys interested.
However, I just moved (a whole 4 blocks) so they wouldnt release the rifle until I get my address updated on my drivers license. I have an EGW base and I am waiting for a backordered SWFA exclusive $99 vortex crossfire.
Now I just have to take care of that trip to the DMV....

Took the TRR with the new Rifle Basix trigger to the farm yesterday evening. It worked really good for 35 rounds then started firing when I closed the bolt. When I installed the trigger, I put a drop of blue Lock Tite on the screws, so I didn't think they backed off any. I checked the sear & safety screws & then the trigger screw & everything was still tight. I guess that as the trigger wore in the pull weight changed. I checked that & the pull was just under 1 lb. I adjusted the pull back to 1 1/2 lbs where I had it before & will go back & try it some more later today. I like how this Rifle Basix trigger works, clean & crisp & will order another one for my MKII FV.

Savage Mk2 Tr: Accu Trigger tuning by gunsmith or Rifle Basix trigger !!?

I have a Rifle Basix trigger and I freakin love it.

Hey Guys,

I am new here. I am from the Netherlands (Europe).

I received my rifle a week ago.I am very happy with the rifle so far.
I was thinking about a trigger job by a real gunsmith (coast about €95.00 Euro) or buy a Rifle Basix trigger ($89.95 + $20 (shipping) = $110.00) !?
Witch is better !?

I have put 150 rounds of CCI MiniMag trough it and shoots so far very well. Best group so far: @ 50 Meters (54.68 Yrd) - 1.5 cm (0.590 inch).

THx in advance