• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKii for my son, .22LR, sight in at 50 or 100 yards???

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
Does it make much difference? Just a basic rifle with 3-9 scope, my son's first rifle (he gets it for his 9th bday in a couple weeks). I don't suspect he will shoot much further than 100 with it. Around the house 100 is about all we'll stretch out to. What is a good distance for just practical use around the house/farm?

I'd let him get comfortable with the scope at 25 yards first, then move him to 50 yards. I don't think I'd rush to the 100 yard mark before he is comfortable at those distances.

Save the scope and let him play with irons for a summer or two. That way he'll have the function of the rifle down. Basic marksman ship and handling can all be done. When he gets the scope he should be dead on with everything and will appreciate it much more.

Just my .02

*edit

Just realized you plan on using optics. I say dialed down at 3x at 25 and see what he likes.

Last edited:
^^I agree, depends on the skill level, sight in for a range that he will hit targets consistantly and increase the range as skill level increases. I sight in all my rimfires at 50 yds (including the kids) for some I have recorded zeros for 100yds etc..

Definitly teach the irons sights if you have them. Also, I think with kids learning to shoot it helps keep their interest to use a range and target that they can hit while you teach the fundamentals. Punching paper is not always that exciting to a young kid.

Sorry Twisted, for the repeated replies, what meant about a target he can hit was a reactive target of some kind that when he hits it he knows it, thats more exciting for kids than shooting paper. If he's been shooting for a while you probably have figured that out already, good luck.

Eh, I know this goes against the logic of many folks including those in this thread but I purposely ordered him a rifle with no sights. He has shot his BB gun with irons and has shot other rifles with irons some, he does pretty good with them but they don't interest him nearly as much as a scoped rifle. I opted to get him a rifle with a scope to keep him interested/excited in it long enough to learn the basics of trigger control, body position, safety, etc. etc. I have a 10/22 with irons that he can try later on if we get to that point.

I know it sounds ass backwards but my first rifle had open sights, I was dead on with it as most kids tend to be but I quickly got bored and wanted a scope. Its been that way ever since. I rarely shoot irons but when I do I know how to make them work partially because the rest of my fundamentals are pretty solid. In fact, the last two times I shot irons was in classic battle rifle matches, with a K31, against plenty of scoped and/or semi auto rifles, and I have a 2nd and 1st place finish out of them. The 2nd place finish was with a borrowed rifle which I had never shot or knew of until right before the match when I put two rounds through it to check out the action. I loved it so much I bought my own, put 5 rounds through it to verify it was sighted in before a match, then won the match.

Sight it in at 50. If you sight in at 100 he will be hitting way high everywhere in between. It will be a rather large difference. If he wants to shoot 100 just dial in ~9 minutes(YMMV but this will be close) with Wolf or equivilent and let em fly.

Eh, I know this goes against the logic of many folks including those in this thread but I purposely ordered him a rifle with no sights. He has shot his BB gun with irons and has shot other rifles with irons some, he does pretty good with them but they don't interest him nearly as much as a scoped rifle. I opted to get him a rifle with a scope to keep him interested/excited in it long enough to learn the basics of trigger control, body position, safety, etc. etc. I have a 10/22 with irons that he can try later on if we get to that point.

I know it sounds ass backwards but my first rifle had open sights, I was dead on with it as most kids tend to be but I quickly got bored and wanted a scope. Its been that way ever since. I rarely shoot irons but when I do I know how to make them work partially because the rest of my fundamentals are pretty solid. In fact, the last two times I shot irons was in classic battle rifle matches, with a K31, against plenty of scoped and/or semi auto rifles, and I have a 2nd and 1st place finish out of them. The 2nd place finish was with a borrowed rifle which I had never shot or knew of until right before the match when I put two rounds through it to check out the action. I loved it so much I bought my own, put 5 rounds through it to verify it was sighted in before a match, then won the match.

Its not against my logic you do whatever it takes to keep your son shooting. As long as he understands fundamentals he'll be fine. After teaching my kids on iron sights I bought them both rifles with no irons for the same reason as you. Same princplie as the targets keep him shooting.

My first rifle had iron sights as well (9422) but didn't take long before it had a scope on it. I shot service rifle comp with M1A and AR for many yrs (irons sights) now pretty much all optics for me.

I have my rimfire's zeroed at 50 and hold over for 100. My Savage FV when zeroed at 50 with Wolf MT is also zeroed at 100 with Fed Lightning 40gr solids.

Eric