• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII or Marlin XT-22 as Trainer?

IPSC

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
Galivants Ferry, SC
Would like some personal-experience feedback on these 2 guns I'm looking at as a trainer. Models under consideration are Savage MKIIFV, and Marlin XT-22VR. Both guns come with plastic stocks and heavy barrels.

Bypass any stock issues...these will be dealt with. Let's focus on reliability, quality, accuracy of the core guts of the guns.

My own initial impressions based on web searches and visit to local gun shops-->

1.) Almost equal..small diffferences will determine the outcome.

2.) Savage Accu-trigger seemed a bit crisper than the Marlin version of the same kind of trigger. At least on the LGS examples sampled.

3.) Marlin has a feedramp built into the gun, Savage does not. Savage ends up having occasional feeding problems ( due to this and/or quality issues...see my post here in another forum--->
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41330).

4.) Marlin has forward receiver mount as part of the first inch of barrel, cannot totally free-float this guy.

5.) Build architecture seemed incredibly similar on both guns....both guns showed fine-enough finish.

6.) Marlin (company) is not free from any quality-concerns either, especially after the Freedom Group/Remington take-over, but that seems not to have affected these bolt 22's from Kentucky?

7.) Might be more bolt handle interference on the Marlin (?), if using large ocular scope mounted low?...true?

What say you guys ??? Which would you recommend and why?

Re: Savage MKII or Marlin XT-22 as Trainer?

Honestly, I don't think you would go wrong with either. BUT, I think the Savage is an all around better value, especially if you replace the stock.

1) Very true, these are both very equal guns for the most part.

2) The Marlin trigger just feels like a lightened version of any factory trigger with a trigger blade popped into it. The Accutrigger feels much better; in my opinion, Savage has one of the best factory triggers on the market.

3) Can't comment to that. The Savages I've shot didn't have any feeding issues. Neither does my Marlin 25N.

4) The CZ 452 Varmints use a similar method of attachment, and when glass bedded, they still shoot ridiculously well. Many people bed the first inch of the barrel on their centerfire guns, as well.

5&6) Marlin was having QC issues when I was big into rimfires (last year). Maybe they got these taken care of. The way it seemed to be working was if you got a good one, you got a great rifle. If not, you were SOL. I heard of some people having difficulty with their customer service as well. Savage has a good reputation as far as CS is concerned.

7) I had a Vortex 4-12x40 on my rifle, which has a fairly large ocular. It was mounted within a millimeter of the barrel (at the objective end), and I didn't have any issue with bolt handle clearance. If you wanted to mount a scope with a smaller objective and large ocular, I could see where you would have issues, though. I'm not sure the Savage is any better or worse.

Having said all that, I would say try and get a CZ 452/455. They're a whole step above these rifles, although their price reflects that. Next choice would be a Savage with a different stock (ie. Boyd's Tacticool). Then the Marlin. Although if I was restricted to factory stocks on both of them, I would go with the Marlin over the Savage.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the thoughtful response !. As to stocks, I've been successful before in situations like this ( rather poor plastic stocks), to simply attach a cheek riser of some sort and find that it solves the biggest problem of this style stock, that is, the otherwise poor cheek weld. Inside, either one can be bedded if necessary, that doesn't scare me either.

Nice thoughtful response....but very hard to reconcile your first sentence and last (!) where the bias swings a bit from the Savage to the Marlin...therefore thought to post my idea of the stock issue. As I originally said, we can bypass the stock part of the question altogether and focus on the gun's core mechanicals.

There are some pretty cool MKII member upgrades on here. I picked up one, added a stock it is getting to be one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

I have the Savage 93FVSS and my two sons have the Marlin XT-22's.
They are both in my opinion great guns for the price. The CZ's are better finished...but really no more accurate out of the box.
One thing to consider is that there are more aftermarket parts made for the Savage than the Marlin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IPSC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the thoughtful response !. As to stocks, I've been successful before in situations like this ( rather poor plastic stocks), to simply attach a cheek riser of some sort and find that it solves the biggest problem of this style stock, that is, the otherwise poot cheek weld. Inside, either one can be bedded if necessary, that doesn't scare me either.

Nice thoughtful response....but very hard to reconcile your first sentence and last (!) where the bias swings a bit from the Savage to the Marlin...therefore thought to post my idea of the stock issue. As I originally said, we can bypass the stock part of the question altogether and focus on the gun's core mechanicals.

</div></div>

I can see where my post could get confusing. Sorry about that!

Much of my issue with the Savage stock is the ergonomics (not only the comb height) and the aesthetics. The Savage plastic stocks are ugly, if you ask me. Even if you stiffen the forearm and install a raised comb, I flat out don't like the plastic Savage stocks. But of course, that's only one man's opinion, and I'm sure you can find many people that disagree with me. See if you can handle both guns before you make your decision.

But ignoring stocks altogether (ie. if you don't mind either stock) and looking at the barreled action alone, then the Savage would be my choice.

Maybe I should also ask: what is this gun going to be used for? Precision work off a bipod or bags? Or offhand and positional shooting? Or something else?

It's to be used for *informal* bench or prone shooting, as a trainer for my 308, which I fear won't get the amount of trigger time I need because of ammo cost. Either "off the bags" or with a bipod. If I keep the standard stock, the Savage also has a real sling swivel stud for mounting a Harris bipod, whereas the Marlin has a plastc "hole" in the stock. Not a biggie, but just another fix-it item on the Marlin not required on the Savage. That said, the Marlin seems to have a more beefy forearm ( with flat bottom beaver-tail type forend) that is nice for my purposes. All these nuances back-and-forth are so minor that I am focusing on overall quality, reliability and after-sales service differences (important if you "need it").

I think you and others have already given me a lot to go-on. Thank you....
smile.gif

I would be inclined to go with the Savage, or better yet the Savage MKII BTV. IMHO it's the entire package less the scope. It has the stock, barrel, and proven accu-trigger, and accuracy.

The Marlin XT-22 may be a fine firearm, I don't know as I for one feel it's still to early to tell from its time on the market and the reviews it gets, both good and bad... However most reviews are based on the camp they are coming from, be it Savage or Marlin.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good shooting with whichever one you decide.
smile.gif

Savage MKII BTV
I feed mine SK Jagd Standard Plus 22LR

No experience with the Marlin, I'm sure it's a great gun judging by experience with other Marlins. I can say that my savage mkii TR is a great shooter and I'm completely happy with the purchase.