• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model 10-FP......NIB-Keep or sell

toshu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Arizona
Needs some advice. ....

I have a Savage Model 10-FP that I bought around 11-13 years ago and it is NIB unused
[img:center]http://img.uvo.cv.ua/v.php?id=e2577e80400c5015b1c172759ea32f91[/img]

[img:center]http://img.uvo.cv.ua/v.php?id=510bd0c276fe186b2b39a5e6ca1c6767[/img]

I am wondering if I would be better off selling it as is and getting something newer/better(either Remington or Savage or should I/could I upgrade this older model for a reasonable cost??

I Would like to outfit/equip the bolt gun for tactical use and F Class competition

I am also outfitting a DPMS 308B and will be buying a scope for it shortly, and would want to use the same scope on the DPMS as well as my final bolt gun. I assume that there would not be much issue there.???

Re: Savage Model 10-FP......NIB-Keep or sell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">upgrade it </div></div>

Then the question becomes, why?? and how much would the gun bring me if I sold it, and what would I buy to replace it without spending a ton??

by upgrade, I mean keep it and upgrade it....not replace it, Savages are awesome shooters and easy to upgrade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">by upgrade, I mean keep it and upgrade it....not replace it, Savages are awesome shooters and easy to upgrade </div></div>

Got it...I bought back then planning to do what I will do now....life just derailed me :-((

So what would be the upgrades that you would suggest to this particular gun??

I would shoot the thing first. My FV was sub moa with the factory barrel. If it shoots and is chambered in a caliber that you want I would get a new stock and maybe a trigger if you don't like the factory offering. If you want a different caliber then I would look at one of the pre-fit barrels. Also order a barrel nut wrench, action wrench, go and no-go gauges for the barrel switch.

The gun is in 308 and that's the caliber I want for now, as it matches my DPMS.

As far as selecting a replacement stock for the gun, what are good options, and how do I know which "style" of receiver I have so that I get the right fitting stock??

you gotta dig more, but, XLR, manners, mcmillan, HS, Choate, stockade, B&C i believe, uhm... AI will have one some time. what do you seek? selling an old out dated rifle, even unfired to buy a newer one thats been changed and updated isnt gonna work. now the standard screw spacing is 4.40", yours may be the older one and while you can get stocks for it, you have to know what yours is. other than that, you just need to decide what you like. XLRs are sweet. you can get DBM for either screw spacing and thats that. just gotta decide. start by reading here and searching with savage as a keyword. ask if you need help

thats 4.40" from center to center for the action screws. if you have the 10FP, i am guessing its the 4.1xx?? spacing? i cant recall what it is, but if its not 4.40" you know how to proceed

I've had a few of those from back in that time frame and as FM last suggested, re-stock it and roll! The trigger is workable, typically they shoot well right out of the box but the POS stock is the big down fall (hense their price). I've had them in both .223 & .308 and none disappointed at all. Bang for the buck easily the best shooter out of the box in my experience.

I will measure the bolt distance later and report back.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject. I have never been a bolt action guy. Always shot and understood semi and full auto guns only, so this is a direction change for me.....thats why its been in the box untouched. So your help is appreciated.

I'll give you $300 for it...shipped of course
grin.gif

Seriously though, you can get a B&C A2 Medalist for it around $200, get some 0.040" wire for the trigger and adjust it per instructions you can easily find on Google, and be good to go for a long while.

Or go with a Choate stock, or you can order a McMillan or Manners. CDI makes DBM bottom metal for it if you want to go that way, otherwise your blind mag will work just fine.

Got the gun out of the safe and measured the center to center distance from the screw in the front of the trigger guard to the next screw. ~ 4.27 inches....just as FM had suggested

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll give you $300 for it...shipped of course
grin.gif

>>>>>>You got a deal. I will charge you $300 for shipping...now we just have to work out the details for the price of the rifle ;-))

Seriously though, you can get a B&C A2 Medalist for it around $200, get some 0.040" wire for the trigger and adjust it per instructions you can easily find on Google, and be good to go for a long while.

Or go with a Choate stock, or you can order a McMillan or Manners. CDI makes DBM bottom metal for it if you want to go that way, otherwise your blind mag will work just fine. </div></div>

HHmmm....The B&C and the Choate look interesting and reasonably priced as compared to the others. I actually like the potential for cheek adjustment that the Choate has, and there was a guy at an F Class shoot I attended with my DPMS who had one of those for his newer Savage. I might see him this weekend and check it out. hands on..

I wouldn't even consider a barrel change until you have shot the mess out of it. Savage barrels have more than proven themselves to me, time and time again. Stock change?? Absolutely!!

With the older style staggered feed model that you have with the 4.27" spacing, your realm of upgrades out there is readily had. AND CHEAP TOO!! Just shoot it!!

I wouldn't even change the trigger out until you have had time to adjust it to your liking. Then, and ONLY then, would I consider changing it out... only if it don't meet your expectations. Again, aftermarket parts are readily available.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Savage!! Enjoy your stay!!

DK

I like the choate tactical. Got one, not the adjustable kind though. Get a stock and put it on. Mark it and check for contact between action and stock, if not good then bed it. Mine made full length contact from front to back and on both sides, so bedding really didn't change the accuracy at all.

Then adjust the trigger. I was able to get a very nice trigger pull and break from a 3 screw factory trigger without changing anything other then adjusting it.

Spend some money with Kevin rayhill at stockade and get a bolt lift kit and a tactical bolt knob. Less the $75 I think.

I think you can put a decent stock on it for a couple hundred bucks. You can always add a karsten check piece later and even a tubb adjustable buttplate or something if necessary.

Spend the other money on a good rail, rings, and optics. Bam.....you have a very good shooter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">by upgrade, I mean keep it and upgrade it....not replace it, Savages are awesome shooters and easy to upgrade </div></div>

Got it...I bought back then planning to do what I will do now....life just derailed me :-((

So what would be the upgrades that you would suggest to this particular gun?? </div></div>

First, shoot the rifle. Then determine what should be replaced. What if it shoots .25 moa out of the box? I will shoot a good bit before I find something that bothers me with a rifle.

I have a 700 that shot .4 moa with fgmm out of the box. I have replaced parts on it just to make it more comfy to shoot for extended periods.

you can make a bolt lift kit too if you want. there is plenty you can do to tweak and refine the action and make it feel smoother. if you dont like the bolt knob, try phoenix custom for a new knob or buy one ready made. add a karsten for extra cheek height. i run the lowest rings possible and still had to add the karsten to raist it up a bit

Lots of great suggestions, and based on them, I will plan on keeping the gun and trying it out as is, then start changing things, starting with the stock.

FIRST thing I need to do is put a rail on the gun since it is bare.....What are your suggestions????

I plan on buying some good glass shortly for my AR 10 and want to share it with the Savage, so the rings will need to be something that can be used on both rifles.

Hang on to it and shoot it. No sense in going and paying more money for a rifle that won't be as good out of the box as that one.

you will just need to make sure you get a rail for the older flat back receivers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you will just need to make sure you get a rail for the older flat back receivers </div></div>

Axeman, any idea who makes a good one for that style receiver??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Axeman, any idea who makes a good one for that style receiver?? </div></div>

Most folks go with EGW for Savage flat-back one-piece scope bases.

Shoot the gun. Then decide if you want a bbl. Mine will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with 168gr FGMM.

I had several of the same rifle you speak of...

Ditch the factory stock, get some reasonable glass... SWFA SWFA SS 10X or a Midway USA Weaver Grand Slam Tactical from Midway USA along with a decent rest of rings and an EGW EGW 20MOA mount I've just bought a Choate Tactical, its a poor mans McMillan A5 and damn near just as good dollar for dollar spent. Midway USA has a special on right now spend $250 get $25 off...buy a Choate tactical for your rifle, add a Lee 3 die set in .308 takes you to $251 and some change and get the $25 off...basically a free set of dies if you dont already have a set...

Shoot the PISS OUTTA THAT THANG and dont look back...give that barrel a good breaking in and cleaning along the way, develop a load for it and like I said...shoot the piss out of it...

Capt Beach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had several of the same rifle you speak of...

Ditch the factory stock, get some reasonable glass... SWFA SWFA SS 10X or a Midway USA Weaver Grand Slam Tactical from Midway USA along with a decent rest of rings and an EGW EGW 20MOA mount I've just bought a Choate Tactical, its a poor mans McMillan A5 and damn near just as good dollar for dollar spent. Midway USA has a special on right now spend $250 get $25 off...buy a Choate tactical for your rifle, add a Lee 3 die set in .308 takes you to $251 and some change and get the $25 off...basically a free set of dies if you dont already have a set...

Shoot the PISS OUTTA THAT THANG and dont look back...give that barrel a good breaking in and cleaning along the way, develop a load for it and like I said...shoot the piss out of it...

Capt Beach </div></div>

Capt

thanks for the links!!
I was curious though why you would select the Choate Tactical(not Custom) stock over the Ultmte Sniper stock that allows you to have an adjustable cheek rest???

Also, I assume from the posts above that my model is considered a Short action??

Yes, Model 10s are short action, and 4.275" action screw spacing is considered "staggerfeed".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had several of the same rifle you speak of...

Capt Beach </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Capt

thanks for the links!!
I was curious though why you would select the Choate Tactical(not Custom) stock over the Ultmte Sniper stock that allows you to have an adjustable cheek rest???

Also, I assume from the posts above that my model is considered a Short action?? </span></div></div>

I chose the Choate because while the Stockades Stock PD/Tactical is about the same price its 6-12 weeks of waiting. I chose the tactical over the Ulti because I favored a drop grip conventional stock vs the Dragunov style or the folder...the Choate Tactical has been called the "Poor Mans McMillan A5" it is very close in style, ergonomics and weights only slightly more...some argue the Dupont Rynite material is superior to McMillans composites but I'm to going to argue that...it is fully aluminum bedded and has many very satisfied followers...we'll see...as far as cheek peice I've ordered a Karstens A model.

If you have the SA 10FP then options for a stock are a lot better...check out stocky stocks B&C and McMillan options...

Capt Beach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Axeman, any idea who makes a good one for that style receiver?? </div></div>

Most folks go with EGW for Savage flat-back one-piece scope bases.</div></div>

Farrell makes them also.

love my farrel. great stuff. sold my EGW before i even got it tightened down when i spotted the farrel in the classifieds here

Get a Farrel or up in quality. I've got a Farrel on mine. Bedded it to the action to get a great match. I wish they had one that extended out in front of the action though. I need more eye relief apparently! EGW's are decent though. I may have already, but I think the best bang for the buck on a stock is the Choate tactical really. Yes I know....I know, it's not a $500+ stock, but it is solid and practical. As accurate as about any really.

Looking at the EGW, its made from aluminum, whereas the Ferrel is made of steel and 2.5 times the price. Is the extra rigidity, hardness, etc worth the difference????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I may have already, but I think the best bang for the buck on a stock is the Choate tactical really. Yes I know....I know, it's not a $500+ stock, but it is solid and practical. As accurate as about any really. </div></div>

I really do not Want to spend $500+ on a stock for a gun that I spent about $350 12 years ago unless it absolutely makes sense. $200 for the Choate Tactical is more than reasonable, but I am concerned that since I am Tall( 6ft 2in), I may need to add a butt extension, and depending on how I mount a new scope I need to buy for my AR 10 and for use also with the Savage, I may need some cheek elevation. If i do that, then I would be up around $380.... that then suggests that the Custom tactical may be a better deal. Midway has them for $450, and with a 10% discount, that stock would be around $400....

If you want to share glass, get ARMS throw lever rings. They are worth the $$ if you are doing so.

If you are looking for a Choate Tactical for a Savage, consider buying from this SnipersHide sponsor who is having a clearance on them:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=247653&Number=2917443

That said, I have a black Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist for a Savage staggerfeed short action (4.27") in very good condition that I'd part with for what those Choate Tacticals are priced at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cutnhrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to share glass, get ARMS throw lever rings. They are worth the $$ if you are doing so. </div></div>

That is my plan. Get a good scope and share it between the two guns until I get a job and can consider a second good scope. In the meantime, i will need a good set of rings that are easily movable and solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for a Choate Tactical for a Savage, consider buying from this SnipersHide sponsor who is having a clearance on them:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=247653&Number=2917443

That said, I have a black Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist for a Savage staggerfeed short action (4.27") in very good condition that I'd part with for what those Choate Tacticals are priced at. </div></div>

BoilerUp,

thanks for the info.
I see that you already sold the B&C. I am curious why you sold it and what you are getting instead??

I bought a 4.27" A2 Medalist with CDI bottom metal in the classifieds here on the Hide, and sold my A2 Medalist to help subsidize it.

I've got a Manners T4A on order for my 4.4" 10FP, and will be selling the A2 Medalist I currently have when the Manners arrives.

...unless I buy another centerfeed action before then...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really do not Want to spend $500+ on a stock for a gun that I spent about $350 12 years ago unless it absolutely makes sense. $200 for the Choate Tactical is more than reasonable, but I am concerned that since I am Tall( 6ft 2in), I may need to add a butt extension, and depending on how I mount a new scope I need to buy for my AR 10 and for use also with the Savage, I may need some cheek elevation. If i do that, then I would be up around $380.... that then suggests that the Custom tactical may be a better deal. Midway has them for $450, and with a 10% discount, that stock would be around $400....</div></div>

I have a Choate Tactical I'm willing to sell. I already have it set up for about a 14 1/2 lop. Its also inletted for CDI bottom metal.

I have the regular non adjustable choate tactical, mine actually came with 2 different cheek risers and plates to extend length of pull.
So, I'd ask when ordering if the tactical will come with these, as I've heard several times that some get them and some don't, choate told me they shouldn't be included...
As far as the stock, it was my deciding factor in purchasing my rifle, it feels great to me, rifle shoots better than me, so I can't complain, heavy though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the regular non adjustable choate tactical, mine actually came with 2 different cheek risers and plates to extend length of pull.
So, I'd ask when ordering if the tactical will come with these, as I've heard several times that some get them and some don't, choate told me they shouldn't be included...
As far as the stock, it was my deciding factor in purchasing my rifle, it feels great to me, rifle shoots better than me, so I can't complain, heavy though. </div></div>

Interesting....where and when did you buy yours??

My gun is cabelas special savage 10fcp w/choate tactical stock.
For what it's worth, I'd rather have the karstens cheek piece, but for LOP, the extender plates work fine.