• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine

Re: Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine

I actually shot one about a week ago down at my local range. I was there with one of my stevens shooting and a guy had the gun your talking about and a model 12 ftr I think it was. Both in 308. He let me handle and shoot the carbine and I really liked it. Fairly light for heavy barrel rifle. Very handy with the short barrel. I think it had a DBM to if I remember correctly. The stock wasn't to bad for being a factory synthetic, much better than a stevens stock at least. I shot it off a bi-pod on a bench. With my handloads pushing 168 SMK's it shot very well. I fired one 5 shot group through it and it printed just over half an inch. And that was with a load I worked up for my own rifle, not his. I've never met a Savage that didn't shoot well, even my lever action 99e shoots inch and half groups at 100 yards. Overall I really liked the rifle, now I'm thinking about cutting down my heavy 26" 308 barrel to 20" or so.

Just used one to complete a precision rifle course. The ammo I used was the American Eagle M1A load, not match quality and it did cause some inconsistencies.
Accurate rifle, not as accurate as the guys shooting the dedicated precision rigs, but it got the job done. I did manage one three shot, one hole group at 100 yards. I truly believe that FGGM would have shrunk my groups a bit and more importantly, made it more consistent.
The trigger pull has wandered a bit, I had set it for just over 3.5 pounds for the course, by the time the course ended it was at about 2.25 lbs.
It can be set as low a 1.5 lbs and is a very nice trigger, good crisp, clean break.
Everything is a tradeoff, the light weight increases recoil and slows follow up shots, but it sure was nice humping a light rifle instead of a 15 or 16 pound beast.
I find the comb of the stock too low, even with an eagle stock pack it is still too low and that is with a 30mm scope mounted in burris xtr low rings.
The pro's outweigh the cons, but do not expect the equivalent accuracy of a heavy barrel tactical rifle, but it is accurate enough for the task, sub-moa with out trouble.

Not sure what you are looking for in the rifle, but take a look at the Savage FCP-K also. longer barrel, but fluted, with muzzle brake, DBM, and accustock as well. One HELL of a shooter. I have one in .308 and .223 - a LOT of gun for the money and 1/2moa shooters out of the box.

I'm about to order a walter barrel and have it cut down to 20" which will result in basically the same rifle. With a 308 all the powder burns in the first 18.5" of the barrel so the need for a long barrel is not there. Especially when you only lose 5 fps by going from a 24" down to a 20". If recoil is a concern due to weight I think it would be minor. My noodle barrel is 22" long and I promise you it is lighter than a varmet cut down to 20". Yes follow up shots are harder with a lighter rig but manageable if you know how to shoot. If you are wanting to know on if you should pull the trigger on it. Buy it, get a super sniper or bushnell 3200 tactical and some reloading supplies and go shoot some bug holes.

Good luck,
Merritt

The one I had was a good little rifle. It came from the factory w/ the muzzle brake installed. It shot good with what I shot thru it and probably would have been a better shooter w/ good handloads or FGGM. I just didn't like the blind magazine & synthetic stock. Another good factory carbine type rifle is the Ruger Hawkeye tactical. I posted about the one I have in .223 and the results I had with it.

I have one in 308. It's a shooter for sure, prone off bipod I got a 5-shot one-hole group this weekend @100yds, with most groups ~0.5-.75 MOA with my shitty shooting. It was doing about 5" group @440yds using holdover (didn't want to fiddle with elevation adjustment). It is a rather light rifle @ ~11lbs with glass, and really needs a brake. Feels fine at first but after 40rounds I have a bruise.

I didn't like the bolt lift at first but it seems to be breaking in a bit. I hate the mag and the mag release -- hoping SSS 9-shot mags will fix one of those, but I may have to mod up a longer mag release ultimately. I was actually impressed with the Accustock overall -- it's very sturdy. I'm actually NOT in love with the Accutrigger -- I hate the stupid blade thing as I get a lot of "click but no boom" events if it's not fully engaged. I'm getting better with it, I only got maybe two of those this weekend.

My wife just bought me one of these for my birthday yesterday (yeah I know she is awesome.) I will hopefully shoot it this weekend as I just ordered a Vortex Viper for it from Liberty Optics as long as it arrives by Saturday.

This is my first modern bolt action rifle and it seems pretty darn nice. Bolt is smooth and the larger bolt knob is nice as well. Personally I really like the detachable magazine, I just wish they had 10rd mags for it. I will be using it for a pig hunting trip next month. If I get it out to the range this weekend I will post some pics.

hey guys, congrats on the new rifles. there are a few things you can do to make the action feel better. here is a link plus there is some other good info there.

http://www.steyrscout.org/savscout.htm

there is a thing called a bolt lift kit you can buy for $8 or you can make one from a 38 case. i posted DIY pics here

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1684658&page=1

and of course, you can send it to sharp shooter supply for a time & tune. $125, and everybody says its great.

start at the top and go down the list. it starts free, well if you have 600 grit sandpaper to polish the action, and gets more expensive.

one other thing. i cycled the action a bunch and did all that stuff, but i took mine apart when first got it and cleaned the action really well, and i was amazed at how dirty a new factory rifle was. dry and gritty. after a good clean and lube, it was as slick as your first girlfriend

hope it helps

Hey Axeman, unfortunately I don't think the .38 bolt lift kit woks on the new 10PC bolt (i.e. the one with the "cocked" indicator at the rear).

As said, the old style bolf lift does not work. In addition to that using "sandpaper" and 600 grit is a huge mistake. If you don't understand don't push others to do something
wink.gif

I will end up cutting the barrel down to 16.1" and installing a AAC Scar-H SD Miter mount on the gun.

well read thru the bolt lift kit thread i did. there are some ideas in there about mods to this newer style bolt so that a bolt lift kit will work.

as for the 600 grit sandpaper, i did that mod myself, just as the guy suggested in his post and noticed a definate difference in how smooth the bolt rotated as well as how it felt to me. so i do understand, and simply posting my experiences and references isnt pushing anything on anyone, just sharing information. the option to do any mod is always up to the owner of the firearm as well as the liability.

whats the huge mistake you mention aujohn? please dont hold back such important info. if you feel its a mistake, please state your reasons for us all to benefit from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well read thru the bolt lift kit thread i did. there are some ideas in there about mods to this newer style bolt so that a bolt lift kit will work.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Don't tell me. I wasn't the one who didn't know the newer Savages can't use the old kit....</span>

as for the 600 grit sandpaper, i did that mod myself, just as the guy suggested in his post and noticed a definate difference in how smooth the bolt rotated as well as how it felt to me.
<span style="color: #FF0000">There is a right and wrong way to do things. Suggesting some one takes "sand paper" to an action to make it less rough is not good. Where will he sand?</span>

so i do understand,
<span style="color: #FF0000">No, you don't. Those few lines above make it clear. That you would suggest someone "sands" a bolt and action without informing them of what they are trying to do. Where they should be "sanding" and NOT "sanding".</span>

and simply posting my experiences and references isnt pushing anything on anyone, just sharing information. the option to do any mod is always up to the owner of the firearm as well as the liability.
<span style="color: #FF0000">If you are happy being a hack that's great. Suggesting others do the same is not
wink.gif
</span>

whats the huge mistake you mention aujohn? please dont hold back such important info. if you feel its a mistake, please state your reasons for us all to benefit from. </div></div>

Where did you sand? What were you trying to do? How did you do it?
Have you read up on the process? How it should be done?
We both know you are quite new at this and have quite a low knowledge level.
If your arrogance means you can't accept those people who are trying to help you and stop you giving poor advice, if you feel you need to be spoon fed information, if you feel it's better to be ignorant then good for you. It's not my job to chase after people who are lazy.
Maybe if you posted less and spent more time learning what you think you know.
Rather than being upset at this, understand I am making things as clear as they can be to help you and try and get through. Hints clearly don't work.

lol, you are a riot. i wont take the time to quote or use the red text like a school teacher to highlight stuff, but this link exoplains where to polish the action. next time you attack something, follow the links posted and read the info. thats not too hard to do.

http://www.steyrscout.org/savscout.htm

and if he read the link i mentioned about the bolt lift, he will get towards the end where guys start talking more about rifles with the new system and ways to adapt or parts to use for a bolt lift kit on the newer actions as well as suggested mods people were looking at to adapt a few things to fit the new actions. as to whether or not a lift exists for the newer rifles, i dont have one, im not sure if anyone has it fixed, dont realaly care, just pointing to a place where someone could get the info and decide on his own. and again, if you had read the info in the link, you would see the newer style was addressed. and what is it about the sanding has you so worked up? got a little sand somewhere yourself?

sorry you think im a hack. i think your a prick. opinions vary. im really done responding to your childish attacks john. what is it with you that you get so pissy? yeah yeah, i started name calling. but man, you started acting like it, i just called it like i saw it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well read thru the bolt lift kit thread i did. there are some ideas in there about mods to this newer style bolt so that a bolt lift kit will work.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Don't tell me. I wasn't the one who didn't know the newer Savages can't use the old kit....</span>

<span style="color: #000099">ok, i couldnt resist. the reason i said read thru it was to get an idea of the concept and then to see what the guys were doing with the thrust washers from an R/C car application to get a bolt lift kit to work in a newer action, its in the thread. i knew, thats why i said read thru it...</span>

as for the 600 grit sandpaper, i did that mod myself, just as the guy suggested in his post and noticed a definate difference in how smooth the bolt rotated as well as how it felt to me.
<span style="color: #FF0000">There is a right and wrong way to do things. Suggesting some one takes "sand paper" to an action to make it less rough is not good. Where will he sand?</span>

<span style="color: #000099">read the info in the link i posted. should i have called it emory cloth or wet/dry? its sandpaper john, what else should i suggest he use? an abrasive media bonded to a cellulose sheet? </span>

so i do understand,
<span style="color: #FF0000">No, you don't. Those few lines above make it clear. That you would suggest someone "sands" a bolt and action without informing them of what they are trying to do. Where they should be "sanding" and NOT "sanding".</span>

<span style="color: #000099">as i said, i made the suggestion, i supplied the link. i even emailed the guy that wrote the article. he is the one that told me to use 600 paper to polish the action. read all the info in the post before attacking the post</span>

and simply posting my experiences and references isnt pushing anything on anyone, just sharing information. the option to do any mod is always up to the owner of the firearm as well as the liability.
<span style="color: #FF0000">If you are happy being a hack that's great. Suggesting others do the same is not
wink.gif
</span>

<span style="color: #000099">i may be a hack, but im dont come off as unbalanced as you always seem to john. relax, its just the internet</span>

whats the huge mistake you mention aujohn? please dont hold back such important info. if you feel its a mistake, please state your reasons for us all to benefit from.

Where did you sand? What were you trying to do? How did you do it? <span style="color: #000099">see the link</span>
Have you read up on the process? How it should be done? <span style="color: #000099">talked to the guy himself, see the link</span>
We both know you are quite new at this and have quite a low knowledge level.
If your arrogance means you can't accept those people who are trying to help you and stop you giving poor advice, if you feel you need to be spoon fed information, if you feel it's better to be ignorant then good for you. It's not my job to chase after people who are lazy.
Maybe if you posted less and spent more time learning what you think you know.
Rather than being upset at this, understand I am making things as clear as they can be to help you and try and get through. Hints clearly don't work.

<span style="color: #000099">i really dont get this last part so i dont know what to say. i am not new to guns john, just this rifle. if you read thru my posts there is no arrogance there. cant say the same for yours. who are you trying to help? where is your helpful info, your links to things to help? all you do is nitpick at others posts. if i was to be spoonfed, it would not come from your likes john, you attitude discounts anything you might offer up. the time i spent learning has allowed me to build up my own rifle. none of my rifles have ever seen a smith, and all function and are well maintained.

i will say one thing, this colored text is fun, i can see why you use it so often. and about my post count, yeah its high. but if all i did was attack and criticize, id have your post count. i try to share info so people can make their own decisions. ok, now i think im done. at least until you pop off with some other stuff. take care john</span> </div></div>

im done. sorry to get off topic, my apologies to the OP. any help i can be, im glad to assist. ask me any questions you have, ill keep it on topic from here on in. but boy that colored text is just so much fun!

Drudging up old threads...

Axe...awesome info. I didn't know any of that and will have some work to do on my rifle. Oh...and nice response.

lol, very old thread. i just try to help man, i read, i do, im not afraid to try stuff. feel free to pm me or post with any questions, im glad to help

also, for savage info, click on my name, view my posts. i have posted in alot of the savage threads. plus i have a few do it yourself things i showed in detail.

FYI, one of our newer competitors at the Odessa RFV200 matches has been shooting a Savage 10 Predator .223 and achieving quite competitive scores. For that caliber (.223) I would suggest the 12FCV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol, very old thread. i just try to help man, i read, i do, im not afraid to try stuff. feel free to pm me or post with any questions, im glad to help

<span style="color: #FF0000"> You are afraid to try stuff. </span>

also, for savage info, click on my name, view my posts. i have posted in alot of the savage threads. plus i have a few do it yourself things i showed in detail.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Too bad you don't know anything about savages. I bet you don't <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> own one. </span> </div></div>

Sarcasm and red font...gotta love it. It seems that you're the venerable savage expert around here...or at least the only person I've come across that actively posts what you know. Thanks for all the info.

I will hopefully be picking one of these up in the next couple months. Permitting they have it in stock or can order it..im in Canada so we will see..hopefully it all works out!

Hykin,C

the curse of a good memory, lol. i do alot of reading and ask alot of questions. always glad to help. stay tuned and ill tell you about the T&T i just got done.

I'd love to hear about it. I was thinking about sending my action in to Fred to have it done, but wanted to hear from somebody about the result.

Looking forward to it Axe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry you think im a hack. i think your a prick. opinions vary.</div></div>

LMAO! Sig worthy!
laugh.gif

Axe been out making new friends I see... LOL!! Keep up the good flow of information. Good information ALWAYS pisses SOMEBODY off!!

DK

he had a perceived insult from another thread that caused him to start the attack. honestly i didnt know he even posted in that other thread until i looked thru his posts. it was fun for a while but then i remembered the old saying about arguing with an idiot. a passer-by might know who you are -vs- who the idiot is.

im just tickled to be sig worthy, lol.

Sig worthy is definately an honor around here for sure!! LOL!!

DK

lol, brett it all started in the bolt lift thread. i just snapped, lol

I just bought 1 of the Savage precision carbines in 223. After reading and hearing so much about them i had to get 1 and see what those Savages are all about. I bought it to use for coyote hunting because it is short and fairly light weight compared to what i am used to. I went to the range today to sight it in at 100 yards. I have a new 6500 bushnell in 2.5 x 16 milldot to mount on it but am waiting for rings and rail. So i mounted a small burris 3x9 on it with the 1 inch rings i had found. Got to the range and set up the sand bags and sighted it in. I did 7 - 3 shot groups and this is what i got. ( .579 )-( .465 )-( .176 )-( .606 )-( .531 )-( .731 )-( .176 ) That was with factory Hornady 55gr. v maxes. I just moved and will be setting up to reload again, so i think once i put the other scope on and work up some loads i will get some improvement in consistancy. If i did my math right the average of all groups was a .466. I am pretty happy with the first outing on this rifle. I use jewell triggers on my other rifles and do not no if i can get used to their trigger. If i do change it out can anyone suggest a nice replacement for it. I like the rifle so well i am thinking of getting the predator in H1 with accu stock in a different caliber.