• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage model 10 throat questions

ceforfin

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2014
Central Michigan
I have read about Savages having short throats when compared to other stock guns. I recently bought a Hornady OAL gauge and measured mine to be 2.220" to the ogive of the bullet. Does that seem right?

With that measurement the 168 SMK's that I've been loading to an OAL of ~2.800", ends up jamming that bullet about .005" in to lands. Didn't think that the Sierra book would have an OAL listed that was .005 jammed. They shoot very good, just surprised me about being jammed that far.

Also have some 178 AMAX's that I loaded for a ladder test before I knew about the short throat length. Loaded them to 2.800" OAL also. With the AMAX being considerably longer from base to ogive, these bullets will be ~.0475" off the lands. Should I even bother shooting these, or pull them and reseat closer to lands?

Thanks

Last edited:
With my Model 10 .308, I am loading to 2.870 COAL to reach the lands. If i jam it slightly or just kiss the lands, it shoots nice little groups. Any jump seems to really piss of my groups, even if its only 0.010. Load em long and develop your load with it touching. BTW, I shoot 168 Amax so ogive is irrelevant.

It seems that Savage has shortened their throats in recent years.

My new 2005 10FP LE2b would allow a 168gr SMK to be seated to a COAL of ~2.045" and a 175gr SMK to about ~2.040". After 3300 rounds, that's opened up anywhere between .025"-.040".

2.800" for a 168gr SMK is too tight IMO, because on the longer sleeker bullets, you might be using up valuable case capacity just to get them to chamber.

One needs a little bit of 'play room' in my mind.

Chris

Should I even bother shooting these, or pull them and reseat closer to lands?

Can't you just seat them deeper? Why do you need to pull the bullet to seat it further?

My Savage throat is also short in my 10T .308. 175 SMKs I have to seat to COAL of 2.773" to be .020" off the lands. I seat 178 AMAXs to 2.778". And I seat 168 AMAXs to 2.805".

I didn't know this when I first bought the rifle and all my reloads were jammed into the lands about .010". Whoops!

2.800" for a 168gr SMK is too tight IMO, because on the longer sleeker bullets, you might be using up valuable case capacity just to get them to chamber.

One needs a little bit of 'play room' in my mind.

Chris

My 168 SMK's are already jammed .005" with an OAL of 2.8". Would seating them longer be a problem? How much "jam" is too much?

Forgive my ignorance. But why is this?

Each bullet will have a slightly different place it contacts the lands in its length. So even though an smk and amax are both 168gn in weight, they will not have identical length where they touch the lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the Sierra book that is wrong,its the rifle you have.I just got one back from savage to fix this problem.JMO the SMK's liked to be jumped a little.

That's what I wasn't understanding also. But staring at these bullets for a while tonight it dawned on me. The length of a 168 SMK is ~1.202, and the length of a 178 AMAX is ~1.323. Since base to ogive is ~.061 bigger on the 178 AMAX, the difference in length comes from ogive to the tip of the bullet. Which is ~.06, this length when using 2.8 COAL pushes the ogive away from the lands.

Does this make sense? Or am I still messed up?

That's what I wasn't understanding also. But staring at these bullets for a while tonight it dawned on me. The length of a 168 SMK is ~1.202, and the length of a 178 AMAX is ~1.323. Since base to ogive is ~.061 bigger on the 178 AMAX, the difference in length comes from ogive to the tip of the bullet. Which is ~.06, this length when using 2.8 COAL pushes the ogive away from the lands.

Does this make sense? Or am I still messed up?

I guess. AMAXs do have a skinny, long profile from ogive to tip. I didn't think it would be that much of a difference.