• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Savage Model 10FCP-K .223 scope options ($400 range)

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2014
Oregon
I just picked up a Savage Model 10FCP-K in .223 and am looking for scope options in the $400 range. Currently considering the Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42. My plan for the rifle is to reach paper at 500 yards as well as maybe some small game hunting. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a Vortex Crossfire II 4-16x40AO on my CZ452 in .22lr, and one on a RRA Predator in .223. I'm very happy with it for what it is. I take the 452 to 200 yards with subsonics...with a 50 yard zero, it's 28 MOA up to get to 200 yards. I've checked it several times going back and forth, and it comes right back to zero. No settling in, no "close enough"...right back to zero. I don't have any experience with the higher magnification Crossfires, but I've heard nothing but good things.

I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I have looked through the Nikon Monarch 4-16 that you mentioned. I'd say the glass is very comparable, maybe a slight edge to the Crossfire (but I am not a glass aficionado like some are here). I know it beats my Burris Fullfield II's glass, and the tracking and turrets are no contest.

It's well under your $400 budget as well.

There are some deals going on the Viper 6.5-20x44PA as well....AAOptics in Indiana has them for $325 (or did for a few weeks ago). This is an AWESOME deal. I've bought a few scopes from Alan....VERY good guy to work with.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x44-pa-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle

Last edited:
Options are endless. You need to decide what options matter most to you. You can get a lot for your money going with sightrons. If your handloading I have several loads that shoot excellent out to 750

This is going to be my intro into long range. Reloading will be next on the list so any help in that area would be appreciated also.

Look at the SWFA Super Sniper scopes. Can be had for a really good price, usually a few floating around the for sale area here, and they are the thing to beat in that price range. SWFA is also a Hide vendor, so if you don't find one used, hit them up and see what they can do for you as a Hide price.

I have that same rifle in the lefty model. It shoots around .5-.75" at 100 yards over and over. I love that thing

I was talking to a guy at Cabelas whi suggested the Nikon M-223 for that money.

bogeybrown, I will check it out.

MMAJunkie, what rail and rings are you running?

I wouldn't get a caliber specific scope. You have a great rifle to start with aside from the limitations of the caliber. which being a savage you can change. Youll learn that you will need to reload and get out and plot your drop chart according to what the bullet does. Regardless of what ballistics software and or calibrated scope say.

I was talking to a guy at Cabelas whi suggested the Nikon M-223 for that money.

bogeybrown, I will check it out.

MMAJunkie, what rail and rings are you running?

Buddy, I'm not going to shit on the guy from Cabelas, because I wouldn't be able to recommend a certain brand of deer urine over another, so if you're wanting to shoot "minute of deer" out to a few hundred yards then he's probably the guy to listen to.

The Nikon is, at its core, a hunting scope with a rough BDC reticle and it's not really the tool to learn this side of shooting with. I'd highly recommend an optic with some form of subtended reticle and turrets that match the subtensions. You don't have to spend a fortune on it, hell I keep an SWFA on my 50 BMG simply because it's cheap and reliable and I don't shoot the 50 enough to justify it getting its own high-end scope like my other rifles do.

I think there are a LOT of better options than the Nikon 223 that will help you learn the game and develop some fundamentals with your setup.

I appreciate all of your replies and am looking into every option suggested. There are just a ton of different scopes out there and I figure getting advice here would save me from getting a scope I will regret.

Just a quick "about me". I have been shooting since I was 6 (currently 37). I have primarily shot handguns my entire life until about 6 years ago. I have seen, played with and worked on handguns people have never heard of. My dad is the best in the world at restoring pre WWII handguns, so I grew up around some very rare stuff. I hunt deer and elk with a Remington 750 Woodsmaster 18.5" barrel in .30-06 with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40. Here in Oregon, the areas I hunt are brushy and that set up has served me well. The only other rifle I own is a Savage 93R17 BTVS and love it. I am just venturing into rifles and the learning curve is steep. So, thank all of you for your help and suggestions.

Dont forget the vortex pst front focal plane. New there over your budget but can be had for a little more used. Repeatable reliable adjustments and front focal plane for a very good price point.

SWFA 10x I have one and shoot out to 700yd with it on my .223. Sps tactical. $315 shipped.

There are seriously to many choices when it comes to scopes, lol. I know I want variable power because I am wanting to shoot 100-500+ yards. What scope has consistent groups no matter what power. I had a cheap scope once that a friend gave to me and it didn't stay on the gun long as I found out why he didn't want it, the groups moved all over when you changed the power. I am still looking and really appreciate the help.

Last edited:
I go to Cabelas to look at scopes again. Look in the case and they have the Nikons on sale, so I decide to just go with my original plan for now and sell it when I decide what I really want. The girl walks over and asks to help. I say I want the Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 mil dot scope (reg $469, sale $389). She says okay and looks on the shelf, can't find one. Looks in the computer, none in store, none in warehouse. I'm thinking, "just my luck". She asks if I would want the floor model, I'm like sure. She goes to find the box, can't find it. Gets someone to help, can't find it. Comes back, "would you buy the floor model without the box." "Ummm I guess so, I really want that reticle." "Okay, let me ask my manager what kind of discount we can do". Walked out the door with the scope for $359, score!

Last edited:
So it has 1/10 mil turrets? Wow, I didn't know Nikon built mil/mil. I have always liked their glass for the price. Let us know how it tracks. Just for fun.