• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage model 11 ?s

Mike0341

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
Houston Texas
Does the Savage model 11 come apart the same as the model 10 and Stevens 200? I have a chance to pick one up for about 100 bucks less than retail and just need to know if its just as easy to do a barrel swap on a model 11. I was told they are the same action and specs for the most part but came here just to check.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Re: Savage model 11 ?s

All Savage models (excluding the Edge bastard child) use the same receiver, and thus can be taken apart the same. Only difference is screw spacing and shank size, if you know this you should be set.

Thanks for the info. Im going to pull the trigger on a model 11 hog hunter then. My wife likes the way my rifle looks but wants to start off with 223. This will be perfect i think if i put an AAC brake like i have on my AAC-SD. Hopefully she likes it and hopefully it shoots.

Thanks
Mike

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hold on there. I am in the same boat right now. I have a Savage 11 in 300wsm. I found out from Force Multiplier and 762FRMAFAR in a few shoutbox Q&As that for me to make a caliber change from 300wsm to .308, that:

1: my model 11 is a large shank receiver (not like my model 10), and you have to order a large shank chambered barrel.

2: (this is most frustrating part that I am struggling with right now) that the model 11 is a controlled feed bolt. Meaning the bottom of the bolt head is removed and the cartridge slides up into the bolt head from the magazine (unlike the model 10 that just pushes the cartridge into the chamber). the controlled feed model 11 uses a different extractor than the model 10/ non-magnum savage bolt head does.

3. To change the bolt head from 300wsm to .308 (or .223 in your case) you have to swap out the bolt head (obviously) <span style="text-decoration: underline">but</span> you also have to swap out the firing pin mechanism (of which there are a few choices to give you the opportunity order the wrong one) and it appears that the bolt head swap from from magnum crf to push feed non magnum may have some dimensional issues.

I myself thought it would be an easy caliber/barrel swap like a model 10. I have now taken a step back from this project and I am frustrated enough to almost bag this budget loaner/truck gun build.

I hope your situation is not as complicated. I just wanted to let you know what I am encountering.

BTW, these large shank/small shank, crf vs push feed issues have really pissed me off.

Cheers.</span>

I bought the Hog Hunter for a winter yote gun in 223. Painted the whole thing white & cut barrel off to 16 in to reduce weight. Its the walking yote gun. Problem with buying a Savage is the stock on the Hog Hunter is the worst I have ever seen & buying after market stuff is limited & pricey. They are out the but limited.

It sevres my purpose but man is stock JUNK

The only "large shank" Model 11s are the WSMs; an 11 Hog Hunter is a small/standard shank action.

Shank, while you may have some minor issues (new extractor, maybe firing pin) your rifle shouldn't be THAT complicated to switch over. I'm curious what kind of 'dimensional issues' the bolt heads would have...

The WSM uses a bolt head that is 9/16" instead of the standard 1/2". And has a claw ejector that is attached with one of the trigger pins. Shank, before you scrap your project I would suggest you call Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Stocks. He is very good with Savages and should be able to help you order the correct parts over the phone.

since the rifle would be my wires first centerfire rifle i most likely would buy another rifle before swapping the caliber.

only reason i asked about the barrel swap is so that if i did not like the accuracy of it would it be just as easy to swap the barrel over to the same caliber but an after market barrel.

originally i was going to get a stevens 200 in 223 and change everything out. for 100 bucks more than the stevens (roughly) i can get the model 11 hog hunter and it has a 20 inch barrel and is already threaded so i can get my wife a suppressor later as well.

a aftermarket barrel would run between 170-400 bucks depending on who made it so i figured this would be my best bet as far as out of the box accuracy goes (hopefully).

so my idea was to get the model 11, buy a stock, if it doesn't shoot for crap then buy a barrel.

thanks for everyones comments. so far i understand that i shouldn't have any problem swapping a barrel on the model 11 and it will be just like building up a stevens in some regards as far as the barrel swap goes (in same caliber).

thanks
Mike

It was only some large shank, stagger feed models that were CRF, newer, centerfeed models are regular push feed models.

Shank, is yours a stagger feed model? Also, if so, you could also have one of the short run WSM's with a small shank, you should double check that. Changing from CRF to Push feed has been done before, just get a push feed bolthead with a standard ejector and remove the standing ejector, and you should be gtg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was only some large shank, stagger feed models that were CRF, newer, centerfeed models are regular push feed models.

Shank, is yours a stagger feed model? Also, if so, you could also have one of the short run WSM's with a small shank, you should double check that. Changing from CRF to Push feed has been done before, just get a push feed bolthead with a standard ejector and remove the standing ejector, and you should be gtg. </div></div>

so if changing calibers then i could run into a problem. if i keep it a 223 will it be just like replacing a barrel on a stevens 200 or savage model 10? if the barrel swap is more involved and more tools are needed i think i will be more comfortable just doing a budget build on a stevens 200 (seems less complicated than a M2 lol).

thanks for all the advice.
Mike

Its the same, unless you have one of the oddball savage rifles like the ones I listed, its as easy as a bolthead and barrel swap. Large shank rifles require large shank barrels, thats about it.

awesome thanks. yea i had heard to stay away from the axis/edge series if you plan on doing a barrel swap and that there aren't as many parts out there for them.

thanks again for the info. ill pull the trigger soon hopefully

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was only some large shank, stagger feed models that were CRF, newer, centerfeed models are regular push feed models.

Shank, is yours a stagger feed model? Also, if so, you could also have one of the short run WSM's with a small shank, you should double check that. Changing from CRF to Push feed has been done before, just get a push feed bolthead with a standard ejector and remove the standing ejector, and you should be gtg. </div></div>
Not true. I have a center-feed (4.41" bolt pattern) 300 WSM, that has a CRF bolt head. They also make push feed WSM bolt heads. I am not sure if the newer push feed bolt heads are the same length as the older CRF heads.

Shank, is yours a stagger feed model? Also, if so, you could also have one of the short run WSM's with a small shank, you should double check that. Changing from CRF to Push feed has been done before, just get a push feed bolthead with a standard ejector <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">and remove the standing ejector</span></span>, and you should be gtg. </div></div>

I'm not knowledgeable on the CRF. What and where is the standing ejector? BTW, yes It's stagger feed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The WSM uses a bolt head that is 9/16" instead of the standard 1/2". And has a claw ejector that is attached with one of the trigger pins. Shank, before you scrap your project I would suggest you call Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Stocks. He is very good with Savages and should be able to help you order the correct parts over the phone. </div></div>

Thanks for the info billyburl2. I will give Kevin Rayhill a call for the right parts. It's nice to know someone will pick up the phone and help you like that. I've done the SSS experience. It was a painful experience to say the least.

Standing ejector is the claw at the rear of the action attached with one of the trigger pins. Shown at the bottom of the bolt face.
2dadegi.jpg

Oh, so it's on the trigger group? If so, I took the trigger group off without realizing it was there. How do you remove it? Thanks for the help.