• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage: Model 12 Long Range Precision Rifles?

Truck10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2010
Bucks Co, Pa
I was looking at these in .260 and was wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience. I've been reading up on the caliber choice topic that was posted by Bohem and the .260 looks like it might be a potential for a new addition at some point. I know savage makes a fine rifle, but i'm more interested in the specifics of this particular line in general if anyone has one.

Thanks in advance

Re: Savage: Model 12 Long Range Precision Rifles?

They can't be found anywhere....
Another member recently posted that the new LRP's (of which the .260 is one of the avail. calibers) have not been released for sale yet.

I just don't see why the change away from stainless?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brazos609</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just don't see why the change away from stainless? </div></div>

Suppose to be $300 less than the discontinued stainless LRPV.
I have an LRPV, very likely get the LPV in 243 when it's available.

I have a 12 LRPV but in .223, I absolutly love it. I plan on either getting an action and build a custom off the action, or just buy one in a 6mm BR or something off the wall.

I have the Model 12 LRP .260 on order, I spoke to Savage last week and they said that they started shipping these out to the wholesalers at the end of March. So once they get to the wholesalers then we wait for them to get to the distributors. This is worse than a kid waiting for christmas.

I have 2 mod-12's both in .308 they shoot very well. They both will hold sub MOA out to 700 yds so far as this is the farthest I have used them. So I guess for a cheap out of the box rifle you could say they are close enough for government work,

This new model 12 lrp looks to be built very solid. I think Savage went the extra mile to make this a good solid rifle and for a good price to boot. I wont even need to replace the stock but I am going to make sure that it is bedded properly and add a Karsten cheek rest.

So what is the lastest update on these?
Does anyone have them in stock yet, and is anyone shooting them?

Very interested in this rifle. I want a 260, but don't know if I can swing another custom build.

I think I'd like the 11LRH better. Accue-Stock, 2.6lb lighter, $120 cheaper, adjustable cheek rest. I could do without the brake, although it can be adjusted to 'off'; and I'd miss the LRP's detachable box mag, but I'd manage.

The 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 is cheaper yet, skips the brake, has the box mag, and trims the barrel to 24". I have one of the last factory original 10FP's, and when it wore the 24" factory barrel, it had no trouble shooting a 197 at 1000yd.

I got an automatic email from Bud's last week that they were in stock. I should have jumped...
The next day I went online to order and they were already <span style="font-style: italic">sold out</span>...
Seems we're not the only ones waiting. Hopefully their supply will catch up with demand.

I don't have any experience with the model 12 but, I did recently have a model 10 predator hunter max 1 in 260 and it shot amazing with factory load Lapua 139grn scenars. I sold her off and bought a remmy only because I'm not setup to reload and ammo for it around here is nonexistent. Here's what she looked like before we parted.
[img:left]
IMAG0194.jpg
[/img]

Search the net with the Savage fatory stock #. I found a few places that had them in stock for under $900.

I got a call yesterday from the dealer that I ordered mine through and he said mine is in, now I'm just waiting for my Vortex PST to arrive. Hopefully it won't be to much longer.

One of the latest mags did a write up on one in 6.5 Creedmoor and said it shot lights out.

I am seriously considering one as they whole gun costs as much as a nice action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a call yesterday from the dealer that I ordered mine through and he said mine is in, now I'm just waiting for my Vortex PST to arrive. Hopefully it won't be to much longer. </div></div>

Range report and pics later, please!

Nice glass choice. I've been really pleased with my Viper.
I read a bit on the MRAD reticle for your model. Quite a bit to digest- did you go with that, or the MOA reticle?

Check out Jim at Northland Shooter Supply. He's got 'em in stock in 243 & 260. 6.5 creed's are on the way. He's good to go and low price.

Also - PM SD65SLR on the hide. 243 & 260- w/creeds soon. He does Vortex also.

Savage and the LRP can't be beat. Thinkin to pick up one in Creed.

I will get some pics up as soon as I can take a few. I will say that this is a very nice rifle and very solid. The trigger feels really nice, I was able to fold an envelope in half and slide it all the way back to the action. As soon as I get a scope mounted on it I will be taking it to the range. Vortex is telling me that the PST is still 5 weeks out and that they are stil filling back orders. If the New 2011 Sightron S3 6x24-50 LRMOA comes in first I may just go with it, I'm getting tired of waiting. I want to stay under 1k with my scope and I want a scope close to the PST or the Sightron.

There were quite a few of these sitting in open inventory at Acusport. They had a couple of every caliber the other day

As soon as I can figure out how to down load the pictures of my new Savage 12 LRP, I will get them up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 is cheaper yet, skips the brake, has the box mag, and trims the barrel to 24". I have one of the last factory original 10FP's, and when it wore the 24" factory barrel, it had no trouble shooting a 197 at 1000yd. </div></div>

I have to agree with this. The 10FP is one hell of a rifle.

Good choice on scope, I wouldn't blame you if you switched from the PST, the wait would kill me. Looking forward to a range report!

If anyone could show me an easier way to upload pictures on here, I would appreciate any help. Blogger This should take you to the pictures.

The LRP are very hard to find right now. I have been checking with all my wholesalers for a couple weeks now and have only been able to find 1 .243, and 1 6.5 cm. Rumor is that savage is 6-10 weeks behind right now. There are a few on gunbroker for a really high price.

I see the red trig in these pics. What is the pull range and do they come on all the LRPs

I believe the pull range is 6oz to 1.5lbs. and yes this triger comes on all of the LRP's.

I work for a large wholesaler
We have only had 10 of the .260's so far
Hopefully they will free up more over the next few months

My 12 in .308 shoots 1/2 to 1 MOA
savage.jpg

savage_kit.jpg