• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage model 12 LRP

TOPGuN050

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2012
Butler PA
looking to buy an LRP in either .260 or 6.5 creedmoor for tactical long range matches out to 1200yds.

which caliber should i go with on this. i will be reloading for which ever one i go with. basically what i am asking is which one will be the better performer since i am new to most everything other than the 30cal.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Re: savage model 12 LRP

I can't speak for the Creedmore, but this winter I built my own Savage. I spent many hours trying to decide if I should by the LRP or build my own, and decided to go with the latter. I absolutely love it! It is heavy though, I put a 26" bull barrel on it, and after a few miles of hiking, you really start to notice it.

As far as performance goes, I have been amazed! with 43.8 Grains of H4350, I am getting 2900 fps and two nights ago I shot a 3/4" group at 250 yards. I love the thing. I have yet to shoot a deer with it, but by the end of the month, I should be able to say otherwise. I know a guy who is an alternate for team savage and he says that out of the box, the LRP is one of the best rifles he has shot. He also loves the benchrest and f-class rifles that savage produces.

If you decide to go with the LRP I am sure that you will be happy, You are getting the target action, target accutrigger, and a nice barrel and stock for a very very competitive price. I think it would be cheaper than building one, I just wanted to give it a shot.

Hope this helps!

i plan to buy the LRP and drop it into an XLR chassis and mount a vortex optic with a 20MOA base. now its just a matter of deciding between the two calibers. i do like to 260 but have heard alot of good about the creedmoor also.

58, thanks for the article that was a help but it also shows that neither of them are very much better than the other. so the my question still remains.

Since it looks like you might be looking for just a barreled action...you might want to consider just buying a LRP action and then installing the barrel of your choice. This would also allow you to buy the action now and have some time to ponder your caliber and barrel. Some of the Savage pre-fit barrels that are available today are superior to the Savage factory barrels IMHO and this can also allow you to pick a lighter contour. Here is a link below to a LRP action that is currently for sale...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...593#Post3611593

Best of luck with your search and your project
cool.gif
!

I think the Creed is a better cartridge. They just seem to shoot anything well. My experience says the 260 is a bit more finicky about what it likes.

But....260 brass options are better.

I'm kinda surprised Savage offers both 6.5CM and 260, honestly.

We are shooting 4 260 guns at our 1000 yard matches. Two Savages we put together and 2 LR pistols. I've not seen yet where they are picky, all the guns will shoot anything from 42 up thru 44 grains of H4350 with nearly equal accuracy which hovers around 1/2" at 100 yards. Some a bit better on a good day and other days a tad over. It also has not been picky with bullets or seating depth. All 4 of our guns are loaded on the same press with no changes to seating or powder charges. In a pinch we can use Lapua 139 scenars or 140 Hornady 140 gr BTHP and be within a .1 or so on elevation.

We're using WW 7-08 brass and have started recently to gather up some WW 243 brass which we've experimented with and it shoots identical to the 7-08 so brass is easy to get and the 243 stuff is only $20.00/50 at Cabelas.

Topstrap

thanks guys for all the comments. i have talked and read about both of these calibers alot in the past few days and i think i am gonna go with the creedmoor LRP. nothing against the .260s at all they are an awesome load considering they have ballistics similar to my 300wm with 200gr bullets, now thats impressive. mostly what i am going on is that i have seen both in action at thunder valley precision and actually saw an LRP in creedmoor and it was an amazing tack driver right out of the box even with factory hornady loads. it did shoot along side a few of the custom 260s that cost many times more. i think buying the LRP, dropping it in the XLR and adding a vortex would be a great first 6.5 type caliber to go with. i think it may even shut down my 300 for awhile, but i doubt it. i love the 300 hammer.

once again thanks for all the replys and advise. also topstrap, i think we need to get together and shoot sometime man. send me a PM on it. i gotta see these long range pistols haha.

Heading out to Rayners tomorrow (Monday 7th). A few of us are going to recheck some settings. The new lot of H4350 dropped our velocity so a trip out to check out new loads is needed. You're more than welcome to join us. We usually get there a few times each month and don't forget the last match for the season is coming up the 4th weekend of this month. We'll be shooting both days, LR pistol the one and my Savage rifle the other.

Good luck with the new gun, anything in 6.5 is great for the distances we have around here at most matches.

Look forward to meeting and shooting with you.

Topstrap

I bought a LRP 6.5cm about six months ago and I gotta tell you I still walk away with a shit eating grin every time I shoot it! I had plans of changing the stock right away? Honestly? It shoots so good I'm scared to change anything.
Put a VV PST 6-24 first and now a SWFA 5-20 and it just shines. I know we talk moa around here, but here the fact, at 100 yrds it shoots 1" at 400 it shoots 1". It confused me till I found out AMAXs are VLDs then was told they don't stabilize till past 100 yrds? Then it made sense.
I'm sure you will enjoy your new rifle!

I'd go 260 for what others have said...more brass available. I think people go with 6.5CM in an AR10 platform so they can seat the bullets longer in the mags compared to AR10 in 260. In a bolt action it won't matter.

sounds good topstrap, im sure we will catch up with you eventually. problem is i work full time afternoon shift so week day range trips are few and far between. if not this season, next season for sure man.

thanks for the reply uncle, glad to hear the review on the LRP creed, i figured it would be a sub MOA gun anyhow but i cant remember the last time i shot at 100yds other than to check zero. so i suppose its the downrange performance that really matters.