• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage model12

TOPGuN050

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2012
Butler PA
i have found the caliber i am looking for and it is the .260rem.

i have 3 options that i think will suit my needs.

1. thunder valley precision custom build by Tom Sarver-around 4300 bucks give or take

2. tikka T3 varmint in .260-around 1000

3. savage model 12 LRP in .260- around 950

my budget is around 3000 but willing to go a bit more for the right set up. if i go with the savage i want to drop it into an xlr chassis and put a NF or vortex on it and just run with that.
not to sure on the options for the tikka.
as for the TVP rifle, 4300 gets you a custom top of the line rig in around 3-6 months. the price not including optics, with optics its over 5000.

anyone with some advise or guidance please help me out here. i am mostly torn between the savage and the TVP custom. i do know tom does some amazing work but to a weekend shooter for now is all that money gonna be worth it? or should i just go with the rigged out savage and shoot the shit out of it? also anyone with some experience with the savage please let me know how it performs for you.

Re: savage model12

I'm a Savage shooter so my pick would be the 12 LRP in 260. All of my Savages do everything I need if I do my part. With your budget get the rifle, high quality class, and ammo. Get behind it and practice,learn it and enjoy. Slip.

We went with Savages not because we're cheap but they just plain work and you can build it yourself with a lot of the same components used in custom guns. We shoot at Rayners here in OH and most of the guns in the top 10 have been Savages with most being 260's or a 6.5mm of some sort. There are also a lot of high end customs being used but we've not seen where they are out shooting the Savages. The past few months it's been about seven out of the top 10 guns have been Savages.

A buddy has a 260LRP and accuracy right out of the box is very good but for just a bit more you can build your own and even gain a bit of bragging rights.

Good luck on your choices but if you visit a few matches you'll find you don't have to spend a lot to be very competitive. In all honesty, I've had some expensive custom guns built over the years but right now I'd not trade our latest Savage builds for a custom, they both are shooting that good.

BTW, Rayners is having their 1000 yard LR match this coming weekend if you'd like to stop in and watch or even participate. Spectators are always welcome and when the match is over most would be glad to let you try out some of the guns. They will shoot both Saturday and Sunday and last month we had 80 entries so there will be a wide assortment to look at. You'll be able to see first hand what is being used at the LR matches.

http://www.raynersrange.com/

Topstrap

If it were my money, I would look in the classifieds here. There are some 260 rifles that would be a kick-ass addition to anyone's safe, at pretty good prices as well. But if you must have new, and you can swing it, do the custom. I love my Savages, but I would prefer a custom. And one day I will have one.

Topgun,

I have a Savage 12 LRP, a Tikka T3 Lite, and recently fell into a great deal on a custom gun (not Thunder Valley, but a very good gun).

The Savage and the Tikka both have good things going for them:
Savage - Decent HS Precision Stock, Accutrigger, Heavy Barrel
Tikka - Smooth Trigger and Bolt, reasonably accurate barrel

I think either of these work great for the "weekend shooter", as you described yourself.

The custom gun of course is excellent all the way around. It has a great trigger, smooth bolt, accurate barrel, and a solid stock. My groups and long range shooting went well with the Savage and Tikka, and but the custom gun has tighter groups and is a little more precise.

My recommendation... If you want to buy a gun and shoot it without doing any serious mods, get either the Savage or Tikka. Both shoot well and will allow you to save $$$ for great glass and lots of ammo for practice. You will want a good scope.

If you think you will buy a gun and start replacing major parts, and doing lots of gunsmithing, I would go for the custom gun. By the time you buy a Tikka or Savage, then start replacing stocks, bottom metal, etc, the cost between the factory guns and the custom will get small. Each mod will also mean you giving up the gun for a few weeks for the gunsmithing work.

I am very happy with my Savage and Tikka. They work very well for us weekend shooters. I wouldn't have ended up with a custom gun, but a friend wanted to sell his, so we worked out a win-win deal.

Of course, super serious shooters will appreciate the refinement and accuracy of a custom gun, and can justify the extra $$$.

I hope this helps some...

thanks everyone for the advise and your opinions. i am leaning tward the LRP and the custom is still in the back of my mind so ill make the decision when the time comes. probably will be the LRP in the XLR chassis with a vortex or a NF

There is a pride of ownership that goes with a custom.
Also, a fit and finish that can't be matched by a regular factory gun.

For less than the full custom but more than a "factory" gun, there is the Sako TRG in .260, though I'm not sure about availability. I believe the AI is also available in .260.

The Savage is a very decent rifle, I have a standard model 12 that I put in a B&C stock and screwed on a lothar walther barrel. It shoots very well, but I still wasn't happy and ended up with a 5R that I have continued to modify.

I'll add something else for you to consider:
http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-sporter-24-barrel-260-rem-jrtn521.aspx

savage..spend the money on your scope and ammo. you will do well.
you can always get a new chassis or stock down the line

Nothing wrong with the Savage choice. The ones I have shoot great. They have a great trigger from the factory which is a bonus. For the cheaper route I wouldn't hesitate on a Savage at all. The custom route is more expensive for sure but very gratifying.

I really like my Savage .260 LRP

You'd be damned hard pressed to do better than $875 for the LRP.