• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage or Remington

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
Fellow shooters, I am going to be getting a new rifle in the very near future. I have heard some good things about savage. I am considering a Remington 5R or a savage. If you have one of these or both would you give me your thoughts on the two rifles. I shoot a R700 Short tactical in .308 at tactical matches. I am staying with the .308 caliber.

Re: Savage or Remington

It doesn't matter (Remington) what we think, (Remington) get what YOU want (Remington).

Unless you have a real need for another rifle, I would suggest that you have your current rifle worked over by a competent smith.

Spin on a match grade barrel of your choice, trued action and maybe bottom metal by CDI, Hooper or the like.

You will have a much smoother action and a more accurate rifle.

To me it's a simply question. #1 a remington needs the action trued (125.00+ from a gunsmith) to equil what a savage does out of the box. #2 you can change calibers in your basement or garage in a matter of min and you don't have to pay a smith anything for it #3 a savage is built on a completely round and tubular piece of steel where as a remington has relief cuts in the recievers which allow it to flex more - if you look at 90% of custom actions they are built on a single tube piece of steel

So to me the choice is simple buy a Savage action (240-310.00), install a custom barrel (250.00), pick out a stock (200-up), rifle basix trigger (90.00) and have a rifle that will outshoot almost any stock remington you can lay your hands on.

Don't get me wrong there are PLENTY of remingtons that will shoot lights out but you will easily find more savages that will do the same for less money.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck,
Merritt

Man - this discussion has been hashed out WAY too many times...

Read up, pay your money and take your chances.

Unless Remington or Savage comes out with some new innovation, there is NOTHING new to be said here.

Buy the Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rez187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my Savage shit out a Remington last week </div></div>

Epic.

If you want to get a rifle and shoot it out of the box with good results get the savage with a nice stock. Buy some mags for it top it of with good glass and call it a day. Remintons are great for upgrades and can shoot like a house on fire but the price of out of the box savage awesomeness is hard to beat. My .02. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a Savage or go custom. It is that simple. </div></div>

Nothing wrong with a bone stock Remington 700....

IMG00010.jpg

777.jpg

1hole.jpg

Take your pick. The truth is one isnt any betterer than the other, if you think so you're fooling yourself. Both make shooters and both make duds.

Another vote for a Savage.

I'm not a sniper and would never claim to be, although I did serve in the USMC (0351).

I've been playing around with my Savage 12FV .223 using some 75gr Hornady BTHP's. Shot this 5-shot group at 100yds from a rest today. Ignore the flyer!

5shot75grbthp100yds.jpg

i said it before and it looks like ill have to say it again. all the remmy fans will say remmy. all the savage fans will say savage. some remmy guys will admit they have/like savage. a few will say tikka and someone will say howa

i bought my savage because it had 2 choices for good stocks (HS and MCM-A5) from the factory. cheaper than buying aftermarket and a plain tupperware stock. i skim bedded it, added a shilen and CDI dbm

Savage...and yes, I'm biased. I'll likely never achieve the accuracy or beauty an experienced gunsmith can from a 700, but I can get close enough (for my desires) for a LOT less $$$.

That said, my primary deer gun is a M700 Mountain LSS in .260 and I don't plan to replace it any decade soon.

Its another Ford v. Chevy debate...and I'll take the bowtie & the barrel nut, thanks.

I am wondering why the OP couldn't just read the other 100 remington vs savage threads.

Savage, get a hold of Jim at Northland Shooters supply at he will get you hooked with all the aftermarket stuff. No smith required. You can get any stock for a Savage now and Kreiger will make a barrel for you, or a Criterion. Guys have built Savages for nothing with match winning accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am wondering why the OP couldn't just read the other 100 remington vs savage threads. </div></div>

This, seriously dude this.

The pinnacle of Remingtons R&D (MSR) has a floating bolt head
blush.gif
all they need is a barrel nut.

Ill say a Remington in my vote. this is my remington 700 sps tactical with a B&C stock shooting some handloads. theres plenty more days where this came from, this is just one picture i have on hand.
today1.jpg

Remington is a total crapshoot. I own a 1/2 MOA Savage 12 in .308 and a sub MOA Savage 110 FCP-K in .300 WM.
I would rather be shooting a nice custom remy but I don't have the money for that. It's almost guaranteed for a stock .700 to shoot like a fud gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62gunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington is a total crapshoot. It's almost guaranteed for a stock .700 to shoot like a fud gun. </div></div>

im not trying to start an argument here, but how can so many people say this about Remington? All though I have only owned 1 Remington rifle, I only bought it because every single persons review on it had sub MOA accuracy out of the box for under $600, and with a upgraded stock well under sub MOA. I bought mine and it did just that, so its not theres a bunch of lemons like has been stated on this thread. That being said I also have a Savage and love it. Its all about personal preference, so the only way to really find out is to shoot and handle both of them, or just own both like me. IMO I like the Remington 700 I have out of the box over the Savage, but theres more DIY with the Savage.

Dammit do I really have to explain this again?

Ok. First I will qualify my answer by the fact that I own both a Savage and a Remington.

The answer comes down to what YOU! personally want to do with the rifle. They both have Strengths and Weaknesses and one is NOT simply "better" then the other (i know this is the simple answer that most of you "Savage or Remington people" are looking for).

What you need to do is Decide What You Want The Rifle To Do. and because I am such a great guy I will give you a list of some of the strengths and weaknesses of each rifle.

Savage Strengths:
- Great "out-of-the-box" accuracy
- Easy to change barrels
- "normally" found at a slightly lower price point then a similar Remington
- Free floating bolt
- The "Accutrigger" (if your in to that kind of thing)

Savage Weaknesses:
- The "Accutrigger" (if your not into that kind of thing)
- Very limited aftermarket (compared to Remington)
- Most Savage rifles have crap stocks.
- Due to the fact that they are constantly changing things, it is more of a pain in the ass to replace the crap stock that the rifle more then likely came with. (unless you got a fiberglass one right off the bat)
- Not all gunsmiths have a lot of experience working on Savage
- Action is more prone to clogs or jams than a Remington style action (in less then ideal environments)

Remington Strengths:
- HUGE aftermarket (arguably the most significant advantage over Savage)
- Rugged and reliable action that has a tendency to continue working properly even when crap gets in it.
- Parts intended for a Remington pretty much work on any Remington.
- Almost every gunsmith in the country has experience working on the Remington.

Remington Weaknesses:
- Most are not quite as accurate "out-of-the-box" as a comparable Savage
- X mark trigger (a replacement is pretty much required)
- For the most part, barrel changes should be done by a smith
- Most come with poor quality stocks (but then again so do most Savages)
- Some people have reported experiencing problems related to quality control (However, when the number of people experiencing these problems is compared to the number of rifles sold it isn't really a big deal)

BOTTOM LINE:
you should select your rifle based off your personal preferences and what you intend to do with the rifle. If you want a rifle that you can transform over several years and can grow to be something unique and personal. Then buy a Remington. However, if you don't plan on changing much of anything on the rifle and just want it to shoot well without doing anything to it. Then your probably better off buying a Savage.

Ultimately the decision is up to you and is one that YOU should make. I understand coming to a place like this and asking questions but as others have mentioned, this "subject" has been discussed at length. (understatement of the century)

I really don't think Savages are at a major parts disadvantage to the M700...about the only thing I've seen is widely available stocks. Can't get a BC Light Tactical or an AICS or a Manners Mini-Chassis for a Savage...but you can get an A2 Medalist or an HS PST stock or any Manners or McMillan you'd want (though nobody stocks these, requiring an order) and CDI makes an excellent DBM.

There is better selection of widely-available aftermarket stocks for Savage short actions (both older staggerfeed 4.275" and centerfeed 4.41" actions) than there is Savage long actions.

Other than stocks, scope bases are probably the biggest thing that has "changed" with Savages - old rifles have flat rear receivers and newer ones have round rear receivers. You can get 0MOA or 20MOA bases for both times, short or long action.

I've got a 12FV with factory 26" .223 barrel wearing a BC A2 Medalist and it shoots groups sub-half inch groups @ 100yd with 1. very minimal handload development and 2. me behind the trigger (the biggest detriment to its accuracy potential, IMO).

Both Savage & Remmy are good rifles that, with very minimal upgrades, have accuracy better than the average shooter's skill.

Weird how all the Savage guys come out in numbers to brag on their Savages and point to poor shooting Remingtons.

Fact of the matter is, I've seen MORE poor shooting Savages myself. One particular .270 wouldn't group under 2 MOA with any load we tried.

I've seen several Savages that shot well, too. But you still have to mess with that gawdawful Crappu-trigger.

There is a reason most custom rifles are built on a Rem footprint.

Savage feels clunky and cheap. Try one for yourself. But its fairly obvious the answer is right in front of you:

You're shooting a Rem 700 now. Why would you not build off it rather than buying another 700 or Savage to build from in the same caliber you're shooting now? You'll be money ahead to rebarrel and true your action, and pick out a nice stock.

I will never buy another Remington( I don't think)I have had much better luck/w Savage out of the box accuracy then I have had with any Remington. If you don't have the money to build get a savage. I had a 6.5-06ai built by ITD, I think from nuts to bolts it cost me, 700.00, not including the badger brake, and that was for just the B/A, Douglas XX barrel, and SS trigger. I also had a 112 BVS 22-250, that you would not even believe the groups I shot with it if I showed you, and that rifle was just out of the box. The only rifle I have ever shot that comes anywhere near to them in accuracy has been a GAP 308, at 3x's the cost. As far as the stock issues go, almost every stock maker makes for savage now other then AICS. I just ordered a Manners T5 for my savage, I know XLR does. Now if my life depended on it I would do a full blown 700 if I already did not have a few, but it does not

After I sold off my last 700 and bought another Savage, I was all but off the 700 bandwagon. Unfortunately, Manners doesn't make a mini chassis for Savages, so I just purchased another 700 for my MCS T5A.

Maybe once funds permit, I'll order another Manners for my Savage and have it bedded but for now it'll sit in it's B&C.

One last thing, and it's very subjective so take it for what it is, is that I love the feel of a Savage action much more than a Remington. You get a very positive click that you can hear and feel when you unlock a Savage bolt and it just seems to have a smoother operation. To me, a Remington action feels kinda clunky and drab but YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Weaknesses:
- Very limited aftermarket (compared to Remington)
</div></div>

I have to disagree with this, Savage aftermarket isn't very limited, not as abundant as Remington would be more like it.

Manner's makes stocks for Savage, so does McMillan, CDI makes a bottom metal, AZ Precision installs after knobs.

Granted as others have said, Manner's doesn't have a Mini-Chassis for Savage and there isn't a AICS stock for it.

To each their own though.

I just traded off one remington and gave my dad the other. Saturday my G/F's $300 savage shot .7 MOA at 300YDS with a 22inch barrel and factory ammo.

You will have to have several of both to make an honest decision of your own.

I Called Manners and was told that they would inlet for the new 10fcp-sr with the DBM. I hope this is true and not a misunderstanding as the rifle was just released.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobody13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Called Manners and was told that they would inlet for the new 10fcp-sr with the DBM. I hope this is true and not a misunderstanding as the rifle was just released. </div></div>

the new FCP-SR bottom metal is the same inlet as the original DBM. So they have been inleting for it all along, no misunderstanding.

I think i might have to get myself a savage then. I have never shot a savage. I played with one once in a shop and was it every beautiful. I loved it but i wasn't in there at the time for a gun. Once i figure out a caliber i will have to try it. i will be picking up a 17 HMR in a savage but id rather see it from a center fire.

My experiences with remington are awesome though and dont think savage will ever turn me away from a remington. Im not saying savage wont make it into my gun cabinet im just saying there will always be room for a remington.

My completely factory remington, with factory ammo it holds less then half moa at 100 yards. My other completely factory remington with factory rounds holds just over, i mean just over 1/2 moa at 100 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think i might have to get myself a savage then. I have never shot a savage. I played with one once in a shop and was it every beautiful. I loved it but i wasn't in there at the time for a gun. Once i figure out a caliber i will have to try it. i will be picking up a 17 HMR in a savage but id rather see it from a center fire.

My experiences with remington are awesome though and dont think savage will ever turn me away from a remington. Im not saying savage wont make it into my gun cabinet im just saying there will always be room for a remington.

My completely factory remington, with factory ammo it holds less then half moa at 100 yards. My other completely factory remington with factory rounds holds just over, i mean just over 1/2 moa at 100 yards </div></div>

Did it have the plastic tupperware stock or was it a factory upgrade? Those are damn good numbers for the wanke molded ones.

A built 700 is better quality and will out shoot a STOCK Savage but if I you have that kind of money buy a TRG 22/42.

Care to elaborate why you believe 700s are better quality and more accurate in stock form than a Savage?

How many Military rifles have Savage stamped on them?
How many match winners shoot Savage?

How many custom actions mimick a Savage or designed based off a Savage?

No doubt Rem. has been doing it and pretty well for a long time, but I don't think anyone can honestly refute the fact that Savage is catching up really fast. Rem. better step it up or they may get passed by. Look at leupold, still good stuff but not the first choice for a lot of people anymore. MCM and Manners are inletting stocks for savage now. Should tell us something. I have both and enjoy both. I grew up shooting the old Savages because thats all I could afford. I gotta say I will dance with the one that brought me.....SAVAGE, until I can have a custom build done by UGSW/ Black ops. Precision.

do not buy any more rifles, save your money for liquor and whores

I am a very new shooter and have tons to learn, but I really like my Remigton 5r. Have never shot a centerfire Savage but I do like the Savage rimfire I have. Probably cant go wrong with either choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many Military rifles have Savage stamped on them?
How many match winners shoot Savage?

How many custom actions mimick a Savage or designed based off a Savage?

</div></div>
Completely irrelevant. Savage doesn't play the mil contract game....
High end match shooters will always have some uber high end or custom weapon. A Savage is a WAY better value than a Remi for the rest of us.