• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage or Remington

Re: Savage or Remington

+ 1; 7.62gunr I've had a Savage 308 that shot rings around my Remington 700 VS, to bad I gave it to my son and it wound up in a pawn shop. The HS stock on the Remington cracked at the front sling swivel stud used for a Harris bi-pod and I had to really clean up the feed ramp to keep it from putting some really bad chatter marks on the bullet as it fed into the chamber which I think affected accuracy. Both are good rifles but for out of the box I'll take the Savage; both could use a better trigger (I think the stock Remington trigger is better than the Savage) but both could be better. I haven't shot the Remington after working the feed ramp but I hopefully think it will help with accuracy.

<span style="font-weight: bold">How many Military rifles have Savage stamped on them?</span>

Savage may have made a rifle or 2 for the Military...
http://ugca.org/03mar/savage.htm

<span style="font-weight: bold">How many match winners shoot Savage?</span>
They Dominate factory F Class, and showing up more and more in Tac Matches. Nobody Loses a Match because they are shooting a Savage.

<span style="font-weight: bold">How many custom actions mimick a Savage or designed based off a Savage?</span>
Plenty of Custom Actions mimic them, more and more are going to the floating bolt head...

Since you asked

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THEBEARRRRRRJEW
WollyMopper

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: matt_3479
I think i might have to get myself a savage then. I have never shot a savage. I played with one once in a shop and was it every beautiful. I loved it but i wasn't in there at the time for a gun. Once i figure out a caliber i will have to try it. i will be picking up a 17 HMR in a savage but id rather see it from a center fire.

My experiences with remington are awesome though and dont think savage will ever turn me away from a remington. Im not saying savage wont make it into my gun cabinet im just saying there will always be room for a remington.

My completely factory remington, with factory ammo it holds less then half moa at 100 yards. My other completely factory remington with factory rounds holds just over, i mean just over 1/2 moa at 100 yards

Did it have the plastic tupperware stock or was it a factory upgrade? Those are damn good numbers for the wanke molded ones.</div></div>

The first one is a remington 700 sps varmint, 243. win shooting the federal 80 grain soft points (the cheap walmart stuff). It will shoot 1/2" all day long, and my best group is 3/8" and it isn't uncommon for it to shoot in between 1/2" and 3/8" group 3 shot group.

The other one is a remington 700 BDL, 7mm rem mag shooting winchesters 160 grain accubonds and remingtons 140 grain cor-lok and it shoots about 5/8" to 3/4" all day long.

both good guns, both phenomenal shooters!

Remington is prominent and more common. It has many military contracts. Having said that, Savage is no slough and an excellent rifle manufacturer as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do not buy any more rifles, save your money for liquor and whores </div></div>

you see that man is a Genius

enough said......one rifle and scope is a round trip ticket to makati

I've never had a Remington, but I do have a savage .308 and never had one problem at all. Savage's shoot fantastic right out of the box. I'm going to continue buying savages for the rest of my life. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobody13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MCM and Manners are inletting stocks for savage now.</div></div>

Not only are they inleting but McMillan also offers their stock on a savage from the factory. Good enough for McMillan Good enough for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many custom actions mimick a Savage or designed based off a Savage?</div></div>

Remington did. The MSR has a floating bolt head.
blush.gif

I have all my bolt rifles in Remington 700 models. They work for me and are accurate. Not sayin savage will not work. But for now I will stick with what works for me.

I will say this to Op go to a firearm store and play with both types and see what you feel better with.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many Military rifles have Savage stamped on them?
How many match winners shoot Savage?

How many custom actions mimick a Savage or designed based off a Savage?

</div></div>

I win matches with my Savage. I've beaten PLENTY of $3-4k rifles with my accutrigger equipped $350 walmart rifle in a $200 BC stock.

My Savage outshoots my FN SPR A3G too, which is a $2500 rifle. In fact, I pulled my Schmidt/Bender off the FN and put it on the Savage.

Ive seen lots of Remmys shoot great too. They are fine rifles. I have a Savage because the guy I knew who shot guns a lot when I decided to get a target type rifle told me to go to Walmart and get the Savage 10FP. I did and dont regret it a bit.

Pick the rifle that speaks to you. You really can't go wrong with either.

I love my Salvage! I am getting a 700 soon to settle this debate for myself.

I had this debate with myself for a while. I picked my criteria and decided that for what I wanted remington was the better deal. The only savage I wanted was more expensive than the remington I liked and since I was going to be upgrading plenty of things on the rifle I felt like it was better to save the money and go with the gun that had the better parts market. Someday I will buy a savage and see if I like it as well but I don't think I will be disappointed with the route I went with.

Having both and liking both. I do like that Savage really listens to the public and puts out products according to this. For instance, threaded barrel, dbm, muzzle brake, pillars, higher end stocks (ie. McM, HS) all from the factory. Just nice to see that happen.

It seems to me a very accurate rifle is much sought after until that rifle is a Savage, which I find strange.

My Savage .223 AI is a laser and it really gives me that confident I-can-hit-freaking-anything-wonder-rifle feeling.

It doesn't out shoot my FN SPR though like turbo54, but that might have more to do with R&D Precision or Rock Creek barrels, but then again, I put my Savage together myself!

As for Remingtons, I like all rifles that go bang and I know they are not a bad choice. I just haven't been smitten.

Don't pick the 700 just because of the aftermarket availability. I have found it quite easy to find stuff for my savage. AND I'm left handed! I'm loving it so far and know a few people that love there's too.

I own a savage and a remington, both shoot good but I like the remington better. To me the remington just feels smoother to operate.

From what I have gathered Remington and Savage both suck, and do really well at the same time. Looks like it depends who you are talking to.

Anyway I have a 5r in .300 WM and it shoots better than I do so there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lefty06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a savage and a remington, both shoot good but I like the remington better. To me the remington just feels smoother to operate. </div></div>

That's a good point not really mentioned yet. I dont think many would deny the fact that a Remmy cycles more smoothly than a Savage. Ive worked my Savage bolt over a bit for it to be smoother, and it helped, but its just a tractor, and thats that! A stock Remmy isn't "terribly " smooth either, but a worked over Remmy is pretty slick.

I admit it took a little gtting used to (again, I was also a COMPLETE noob without the help of anyone - not even snipershide), but I learned it cycled like a tractor, and moved on.

I have several Savages and Remingtons along with a few CZs and a Howa. I haven't had a chance to do load developments on all of them but I can say that all have shot regularly under 1" at 100 yards and most are capable of 1/2" (3-shot) at 100. The only issue I have with any of them is as follows:

Remington:
Receivers needed to be smoothed out on the bottom side otherwise the brass would be gouged.

CZ527:
Finding the right rings and scope is a bit difficult.

Savage:
Accutrigger on one of mine locked up on occasion, seems to be fine now.

Howa:
None

I do like the Savage for ease of barrel changing but Pac-Nor makes a Nut for the Remington as well. Pac-Nor, McGowen and Criterion make barrels for this. I just installed one on a Model 7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Savage:
Accutrigger on one of mine locked up on occasion, seems to be fine now.</div></div>

When the pull on the Accu-trigger is set too low, it will do that.

I'm big Savage fan, but one big disadvantage of the Savage 110 series bolt rifles is the bolt lift is way too stiff. It can be fiddled with to get it smoother, but won't ever be as smooth as a Remington.

I'm going to say Remington. I know Savage builds a great "out of the box" rifle-- I just like the feel of a Remington or Remington clone better.

Working at Manners I get the opportunity to play with just about every action made. A trued up 700 with a few thousand rounds down the tube is a work of art in smoothness. A badger m2008 actions bolt lift is too stiff, and the round ball bolt knob is something I can't stand. Low round count templar's, and surgeon 591's aren't as smooth as a well used 700. Bolt lift on those is tighter, but that's about it. Fire any 700 type actions enough times and they'll smooth out. That being said, i'm a Savage guy. I've had the same model 10 since 2000, and have many thousands of rounds on the action. I have about 2600 on this current barrel. My action is as smooth as the 700's when it comes to cycling and chambering, and bolt closure. Bolt lift is a hair stiffer, but just as smooth UNTIL the "clunk" at the top. Ern at GA is going to help me with that in a couple weeks.

To each is own on what to buy. I say Savage, but how can I make an un-biased recommendation when i've never owned a Remington. Biggest thing to remember is that the driver makes the car, not the other way around. If you can't shoot 1/4moa, a 1/4moa rifle isn't going to shoot 1/4moa.

Branden