• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Rascal Youth Rifle

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Ive been getting my 7-8yr old boys started on shooting over this past year, but my own CZ 22s just have a length of pull that is still too long for them. Ive had my eye out for a CZ Scout now for months, as it has the shorter LOP. However they are impossible to find. So Im now considering either a Cricket or Savage Rascal.

Anybody have good things to say about the Savage Rascal? I like that it cocks as the bolt is pulled to the rear. But I have no experience with the Rascal. I am however familiar with the cricket.

Neither is nearly as nice as a CZ Scout. What about dropping one of your current CZs in to a chassis. The XLR can have a pretty short LOP

This gun is made my Keystone, it's called a KS 722. My niece is 5 and she shoots it really good. The stock can be set in for her pull length. It's easy for her to reach the bolt and load the magazine. Just a thought. I had the 457 Scout model before I modified it. The stock is really made for a smaller person and it's a rifle your boys can't grow out of. They won't grown out of the Keystone either, just saying.

IMG_20201114_132440.jpg

Reactions: Rockfish Dave
    My 8yo got a rascal for xmas. She had no problem with the single feeding. Trigger is fine, safety is positive, peep sight works and is drilled/tapped for scope base. LOP is great and weight isn't too bad.

I think I paid $100 for it. I'd do it again.

Reactions: ZG47A
    ^^^^^ +1^^^^^^. EGW makes a rail. I put a 3.5x10 Bushnell on mine for the kids. They really like it m

Like their big brothers, the savage rascal can develop indifferent extraction and ejection. Cleaning the chamber can help, but the extractor isn’t great. And, if you scope it, the gun will tend to eject the case into the scope body and land it back in the feed way.

They‘re a ton of fun when they eject reliably, and my wife and I will fight over our son’s rascal while he’s shooting a 10/22.

I started my son on a rascal at 4 and he moved into 4h shooting and then PRS at 12 with a 6br origin

Attachments

• FEB33E87-BB58-4F1E-8EE1-ED2B4F1BC82E.jpeg
      FEB33E87-BB58-4F1E-8EE1-ED2B4F1BC82E.jpeg
      271.5 KB · Views: 79
    • C2554B0C-228C-495C-8FAA-11626ECE3714.jpeg
      C2554B0C-228C-495C-8FAA-11626ECE3714.jpeg
      549.1 KB · Views: 78
    My son first had a cricket with a traditional blade and post. He couldn't "see" the proper sight alignment even though I drew it on paper. I also didn't like the firing sequence of the cricket since its different from any other rifle out there. I got a rascal with the peep sight and he's had a lot more success with it. I don't want a scope on the first rifle cause I think everyone needs to shoot irons, first. I would like to get my son a fancier rifle for later, but I think the inexpensive nature of the rascal/cricket is great. After they learn on the cheap guns, I'll get them something they can use for a lifetime.

Pretty much the same. My son had a Cricket at 3 and got a Rascal this year for his 5th bday. Both are great rifles to learn on IMO. The cricket for trigger pull and learning to use scope. The Rascal for working the bolt. We will probably move up to a magazine fed rifle before the year is up.

The cricket is going to be way too short (LOP) for your kids. I have no experience with the Rascal, but the Scout is the rifle I would recommend. Look for it because it's worth the time and effort.

Good luck and congrats on those kids!

I got my son a Rascal when he was 6. It works wonderfully. The peep sight is nice, the gun is accurate (as accurate as a 3-4 pound rifle can be) and the accutrigger is nice. It helped him develop a good sense of trigger control. Mine fed great and at 25 yards it'll put 'em all in the bullseye.

For a first/beginner rifle it's a 10/10 would buy again for me.

For something more fun, the new KRG 10/22 chassis can have a minimum 11.5" LOP or something and fits an 8 year old wonderfully (I got one but haven't used it yet). That'll be a lot of fun for him from the bench this summer. With enough spacers it'll even fit me at 6'1, so there's a lot of room to grow with it.

Reactions: unoigo
    We got one for my 9yo son. Been a great starter rifle for him to learn the basics. For the price point, I have nothing bad to say about it.

Attachments

• 6842B2A9-37A9-456F-A58A-773AE8CAC6C9.jpeg
      6842B2A9-37A9-456F-A58A-773AE8CAC6C9.jpeg
      647.8 KB · Views: 225
    • EE3C549E-B501-461F-847B-F1954F307B8D.jpeg
      EE3C549E-B501-461F-847B-F1954F307B8D.jpeg
      729.8 KB · Views: 87
    • 1AFE209F-A237-4192-B4FB-E8EFD048E101.jpeg
      1AFE209F-A237-4192-B4FB-E8EFD048E101.jpeg
      462 KB · Views: 82
    Just picked up my daughter a Rascal Tactical and it never ejects the spent brass. It extracts the spent brass but won't throw it out. Always have to use my pinky to finger it out. Tried 4 different types of ammo too and never throws it out. Frustrating. Time to contact Savage.

Ive been getting my 7-8yr old boys started on shooting over this past year, but my own CZ 22s just have a length of pull that is still too long for them. Ive had my eye out for a CZ Scout now for months, as it has the shorter LOP. However they are impossible to find.

Your bio says you're from PA, if you're on the border, Blackwing Shooting Center in Delaware, OH has one on the shelf. I almost bought it a week or two ago. They're reeeeeeal nice. Threaded barrel is a perfect touch too, as who wouldn't want a suppressor for a kids training rifle.

Shit if you call em, they might ship it to your FFL. I want one bad...but I ended up getting a Bergara BXR instead