• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage rifles

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
I have heard for around 1k you can have a savage that will give a gap a run for its money in accuacy? Who is the best savage smith out there? Or one who could get this type of accuacy out of one?

Re: savage rifles

the good thing about a savage you can do just about all the work on one to make it super accurate. with a simple barrel change with a couple of tools and a stock change you can get them shooting under .5" easily.

Get yourself a 10fcp and shoot it until the barrel is toast. Sharp Shooter Supply is a well known Savage guru who can true and time and rebarrel it. I have also heard of a guy at Stockade that does a fine job on them. Go to the Savage Shooter forum. Lot's of Savage knowledge there.

get a stevens 200 for $300 (i have a link at home if you'd like me to dig it up, but i think it's gunsamerica.com). This is basically a Savage action. Pull the trigger, barrel and stock. Replace all three and for around $800 lots of guys have build sub MOA rifles.

There's supposed to be a good write up on sniper central on doing this, but you have to buy a membership.

My Savage 112 FVSS in 300 WM shot .3 to .6 right out of the box..
I went to the laminated stock, bedded it, and saw no improvement.
I'm not near so picky as some on this site, but I don't need any improvement (in the gun).

David

I think that if you want to go the Savage route, you should just shoot it prior to throwing a bunch of (possibly not needed) money at the thing.

Other than a stock change and accutrigger modification, my rifle is completely stock Savage. Even the stock that I put the action into is factory Savage.

To me, when you change everything about it, it isn't a Savage anymore... just take it out of the box and SHOOT IT!!

DK

My factory 12FVSS with a B&C stock shoots under 1/2".
I had the barrel cut and recrowned to 24" and bedded the stock. That's all the work done to it.

+1 on Sharpshooter Supply. I've heard nothing but the highest praise for his work.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

A year or two ago, a couple of factory Savages took top honors at some big egg shoot. They beat out guns costing more than the trucks the Savage guys drove to the match.

Here it is
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/200...hips-this-week/

If you buy a new savage be sure and shoot it and do load development. It may need nothing more then that. It depends on just how much accuracy you must have. I have been lucky in that my savage and my two Remington Sendero's have required nothing more then trigger job and load work. They all shoot 1/2 inch and that is good enough for me. To me accuracy is dependent on need. I don't lay awake at night sweating that my elk rifle will only shoot 1/2 inch groups as millions of elk have been killed with guns that don't shoot better then 1 1/2 inch groups. It really is just a matter of what you want. Good luck with your project. Jeff

keven rayhill at stockade gun stocks did all the smith work on my savage. i've got several pics of how it shoots on here as well as a competition score card or two. you can't go wrong with stockade. oh, and let kevin talk you into a benchmark barrel. you wont be sorry you did.

i'd skip fred at SSS if i were you. Tucker may not have heard anything bad about them, but i sure have. there is one guy around here in particular, who said that fred kept his action because he didn't put a Authorization Number on the box. i've done enough good business with folks who've had bad dealings with fred, that i will only buy parts from him if i can't get them anywhere else. and i wouldn't ship him my weapon if he paid me to.

I just got to look at a current production 10FP .308 with Accue-Trigger and HS Precision stock, that apparently has the Accue-Stock feature, or so I was told. Sans scope it was acquired for about $900. Scope looked like a Black Diamond.

Reportedly very accurate, I got there as they were departing. Came up to shoulder nicely, but the scope mounting was a bit shy of eye relief for me, and I might have wanted another 2" (1" at very least) of LOP. Well; I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> taller than average.

I wouldn't kick it outta bed...

Greg

From the SSS website:
"All inbound packages must have an Authorization Number clearly visible on the outside of the package. Any package received without prior authorization and/or a Authorization Number will be charged an additional $50 fee and be subject to a 90-day grace waiting period, or simply be refused at time of delivery at our discretion."

I find it hard to believe he just "kept" something that wasn't his with no recourse...

Fred is a huge help and a pleasure to do business with.

Look, I am beholdin' to Fred for the generous assistance he gave us with the Ghost Dancer Project, and hear nothing but good stuff about Kevin Rayhill, despite never having had any dealings with him. I am an unabashed Savage fan, but the day a factory Savage can shoot rings around a GAP product, I'll be mucho, mucho abashed.

As for custom work, you get what you put in, be it Savage or others, good work makes a good rifle, not vice versa.

Honestly, damned few folks, myself included, can outshoot their rifles.

Let's keep our perspectives here; folks...

Greg

Out of the box Savage compared to any custom is apples to onions.
We buy them because they are what we can afford, although that is not a bad thing.
Others may dream, as we shoot!
Trigger time is better for some, then REM sleep!
Some may even like to shoot, and wake up with dry sheets.
Learning what you have to shoot, is better than buying what you can't.

(Just My Thoughts)

Good thoughts, that's why my guns are Savages (and Remmy's, and Rugers, and Winchesters, and Charles Dalys, etc.). They say beware the fellow with only one gun. Looks like I'm fated to never be that guy...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that if you want to go the Savage route, you should just shoot it prior to throwing a bunch of (possibly not needed) money at the thing.

Other than a stock change and accutrigger modification, my rifle is completely stock Savage. Even the stock that I put the action into is factory Savage.

To me, when you change everything about it, it isn't a Savage anymore... just take it out of the box and SHOOT IT!!

DK </div></div>

If it came without sights, just look around and see what you have.
It'll work.

I have a FCP HS Precision in .308 that will print a 3/8" group at 100yd. Straight out of the box... Only work done is the DuraCoat and glass...

1464.jpg

My Savage Ghost Dancer 1000yd F Class rifle has had all replaced but the 10FP receiver, bolt, and barrel nut. The part that carries the serial number determines, for me, what the rifle is.

Greg