• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage safety

ddubas

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2007
Sidney,NE
I picked up a used savage model 10 in 7wsm. As the old saying goes, if it’s too good to be true, it probably is. Well I picked this rifle up for $100. Looked clean on the outside, other than a big scratch on the stock. I asked the place where I bought why it was marked down so much, original asking price was $399. They said they had it on the rack for too long. It wasn’t until I got it home and tried the trigger and it fires with the safety on. Do I send it off and have it looked at? Or would installing an aftermarket trigger fix the issue. It’s a pre-accutrigger. With the safety on and after pulling the trigger I can’t open the bolt. Any ideas?

I would have a reputable gun smith look at it. Might be a cheap fix. Savage safety's aren't that complicated.

There's a set screw in the rear of the trigger that adjusts the safety. You'll need a small hex wrench to adjust it.
Sometimes they fall out when F'd with. If that's the case, contact savage.
Otherwise, I put the safety on, and adjust the screw until it won't fire when the trigger is pulled and the safety can be manipulated without difficulty.
Then I back out the screw, put a small dab of Loctite on it and adjust it to it's safe setting again. Wipe the excess Loctite off and assemble
Of course, you'll need to test this with it unloaded and the action removed from the stock.
There's plenty about the subject on the web too.

Have the same problem.Mine is a 80's 110 except that the saftey on mine broke in half,pawn shop gun. Ordered a new one from Gunparts inc. still won't work. the screw for the adjustment is not long enough the affect the saftey with out falling out. 6.5 creed Mc gowan barrel, Rifle basic trigger, Whidden alum, block custom stock,EGW 20moa base.....I now have to get a single shot loading tray....No more Savy's for me......It is accurate though......

Have the same problem.Mine is a 80's 110 except that the saftey on mine broke in half,pawn shop gun. Ordered a new one from Gunparts inc. still won't work. the screw for the adjustment is not long enough the affect the saftey with out falling out. 6.5 creed Mc gowan barrel, Rifle basic trigger, Whidden alum, block custom stock,EGW 20moa base.....I now have to get a single shot loading tray....No more Savy's for me......It is accurate though......
The rifle's unsafe for you to have, so I'll give you $100 plus shipping to take it off your hands. PM me.

Bring the screw to your local Lowe's/Home Depot and have them find you a longer set screw with the same pitch. Easy fix.

You guys will have to wait till I put some more money in it! But I appreciate the offer....I had a scope on it that did'nt have enough adjustment with the 20m rail......aimed at a rock below the target,3 at 100 to zero,[sort of} 3 touching at 300..... Gonna try again with a borrowed scope. Only 6 shots thrugh the rifle...Let me break it in and be sure it will shoot before you guys can have it...I think my saftey problem is the part they sent me....not quite the right one. Savage , the"Chrysler" of rifles...

The early Savage trigger is a good trigger, but it gets a little dodgy when home gunsmith attempt to adjust the trigger pull weight very low. It was never designed to operate at match pull weights, and does not like going much below 3lb. I would adjust it to that weight, clean and oil it with a light, non-gumming oil, and then learn to shoot the rifle well at that pull weight. The final test of a trigger adjustment is to cock and close the bolt on an empty chamber, then bounce the buttpad firmly on a resilient floor. If the action releases the sear, the trigger needs to either get adjusted or replaced (mine uses a Sharpshooter Supply Trigger) by a professional.

Even with a trigger replacement, you still have a bargain.

Greg