• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage teams up with MDT

i hope they put this barrelled action in some other non-PRS type chassis or even in a Mcmillan or HS precision.

Reactions: memilanuk
i hope they put this barrelled action in some other non-PRS type chassis or even in a Mcmillan or HS precision.
You probably wouldn’t have any problem at all selling the chassis here and used LRP (HS Precision) stocks show up all the time in the equipment exchange.

You probably wouldn’t have any problem at all selling the chassis here and used LRP (HS Precision) stocks show up all the time in the equipment exchange.
I believe S12A is "down under" not so easy to exchange that there or here.

To The King:

What's wrong with a Savage 110 that's so right with any other bolt action?

Reactions: S12A
I was told this was the place to drop some pics of the new Savage...

DSC_7360sml.jpg

DSC_7362sml.jpg

It's interesting and better factory options are always a good thing. I also commend Savage for listening to feedback from shooters and making improvements. It has some very nice options, factory blueprint, good chassis, etc.

Here's my issue. Street price looks to be $1800, and it still has an accutouch trigger, so most guys are going to drop $200 on a new trigger.

When you have options like the Seekins Havok, APO, MPA, etc. all running tiny margins to stay under $2000 to hit PRS production limits for me that's a no brainer. I'll take those every time.

Not sure what the answer is for the big factory boys. I guess they can hope to capitalize on the fact that many guys simply don't know the more custom options exist, or that Savage fans are going to buy savage, and they might now have the best offering that's going to be in big box stores. Either that or they need to find a way to get the price down under the $1500 range, without doing like an RPR where guys are going to want to sink $1000+ of upgrades into it.

Reactions: Jknox1030
It's interesting and better factory options are always a good thing. I also commend Savage for listening to feedback from shooters and making improvements. It has some very nice options, factory blueprint, good chassis, etc.

Here's my issue. Street price looks to be $1800, and it still has an accutouch trigger, so most guys are going to drop $200 on a new trigger.

When you have options like the Seekins Havok, APO, MPA, etc. all running tiny margins to stay under $2000 to hit PRS production limits for me that's a no brainer. I'll take those every time.

Not sure what the answer is for the big factory boys. I guess they can hope to capitalize on the fact that many guys simply don't know the more custom options exist, or that Savage fans are going to buy savage, and they might now have the best offering that's going to be in big box stores. Either that or they need to find a way to get the price down under the $1500 range, without doing like an RPR where guys are going to want to sink $1000+ of upgrades into it.
In a way, I think that you answered your own question. If guys are willing to sink the extra bucks into the RPR, then whats $200 more for a trigger and a nicer chassis.

True but that was also more popular with all these new semi-custom $1999 options didn't exist, and frankly a lot of gun buyers don't exactly make the best purchases. I think what the RPR had going for it for awhile was the $900 entry fee, and upgrade later and it was basically the only game in town.

To me it comes down to $2000 for a Savage in an MDT with someone's aftermarket trigger, or $2000 for a MPA BA PMR, Seekins Havak, or Saber M700. The Savage just doesn't have a chance for the same price.

True but that was also more popular with all these new semi-custom $1999 options didn't exist, and frankly a lot of gun buyers don't exactly make the best purchases. I think what the RPR had going for it for awhile was the $900 entry fee, and upgrade later and it was basically the only game in town.

To me it comes down to $2000 for a Savage in an MDT with someone's aftermarket trigger, or $2000 for a MPA BA PMR, Seekins Havak, or Saber M700. The Savage just doesn't have a chance for the same price.
Beats the shit out of the seekins and saber chassis especially at $400 less

Hard to argue with the MPA even if its not a comp chassis

Reactions: lash

This kind of street price will be hard to beat.

Reactions: b6graham and lash
That I'd agree with if the street price on in stock options stays in the $1500 range.

That makes a lot more sense in that price range when I first saw $2000 I said why? I am on my first precision rifle and it is a savage and I love it, but I got the 12fv from cabelas on a black friday sale for $100 after sale, rebate and $100 in points. Threw it in an mpa chassis and for $1100-$1200 I had basically the same thing minus the blueprinted action and a threaded barrel.

Any new word on release dates per caliber? Anyone have one on order? Any more info about these showing up in the wild at select functions?

I spoke with them yesterday. Confirmed 300 WM @ 30", 9.25 twist and 3.85" mag length, but they wouldn't give freebore info. Since they're giving it more twist and the long mag, I would assume they're throating for longer bullets, but couldn't get them to confirm. Did confirm 300 PRC and Norma with them, but no date on when production will begin with those.

Without the actual freebore info on the WM, I'm tempted to wait for the other cartridges to come out. Been wavering between PRC and Norma for a while... but a properly throated factory WM would throw another wrench in the mix.

Reactions: memilanuk
I spoke with them yesterday. Confirmed 300 WM @ 30", 9.25 twist and 3.85" mag length, but they wouldn't give freebore info. Since they're giving it more twist and the long mag, I would assume they're throating for longer bullets, but couldn't get them to confirm. Did confirm 300 PRC and Norma with them, but no date on when production will begin with those.

Without the actual freebore info on the WM, I'm tempted to wait for the other cartridges to come out. Been wavering between PRC and Norma for a while... but a properly throated factory WM would throw another wrench in the mix.
remember 3.85" CIP magazine is 3.75ish coal

^Even if not exact freebore, if you could find out what bullet(s) each caliber is throated for, that would be amazing. I'm leaning Norma again...

^Even if not exact freebore, if you could find out what bullet(s) each caliber is throated for, that would be amazing. I'm leaning Norma again...
I don't know that it really gets that granular because most are a standard saami spec however there are some deviations from that in certain cases.

^Yes, that's the q: can we run the best bullets seated out for best velocity and not be jamming them into the lands... that's why I'm thinking Norma (or PRC). Other question is whether the 300 Norma with Lapua boltface would still be able to run a regular magnum-faced bolthead for, say, a 300 WSM, or a standard bolthead, for, say, a 6mm BR variant. Having this platform in 300 Norma with 2 extra bolts and barrels for 300 WSM and 6BR sounds great to me.

I have the 338 on order direct with them and they said it should ship at the end of the month. Thats also what they said last month too.

I have the 338 on order direct with them and they said it should ship at the end of the month. Thats also what they said last month too.

That sucks! Really interested in the 300prc version. Hopefully you get your rifle soon and you give us all great news

No one sees one at SHOT?
I ordered one directly from Savage under their military discount program in November and was told it should hip by the end of december. Has not arrived yet. Called and they said the end of January now. But to your point I havent seen anything on the web about seeing one at Shot. You think they would have at least one out for people to see.

I ordered one directly from Savage under their military discount program in November and was told it should hip by the end of december. Has not arrived yet. Called and they said the end of January now. But to your point I havent seen anything on the web about seeing one at Shot. You think they would have at least one out for people to see.

Reactions: Sharpe74
I spoke with Savage this week, they said the 300 Norma and 300 prc will likley be available in late summer which makes me thing more like Christmas lol. I’ve been having a hard time deciding between the 300 Norma and the 338 lapua.As I want to use this for a 2000+ yard gun, then when i shoot out the barrel maybe rechamber in 37xc.
So I think I’m just going to go with the 338, because I will probably shoot out the barre by winter anyway. =]

^Any info about the current offerings being available? I'm about to pull the trigger on something else since all I heard from them regarding timing was complete BS. It's so bad for their brand - just say it won't be available until March - stringing customers along with lies is never positive.

^Any info about the current offerings being available? I'm about to pull the trigger on something else since all I heard from them regarding timing was complete BS. It's so bad for their brand - just say it won't be available until March - stringing customers along with lies is never positive.
They also said they will start shipping current offerings this week. Who knows though.

Getting annoyed with the wait... should I wait for this thing or:

Buy MPA BA in 338 Lapua for 1K more and order a 300 Norma barrel
Buy Surgeon 338 Lapua in an A5 for 1.5K more and order a 300 Norma barrel
Buy/build a 300 RUM for the same price and order an Edge barrel
Wait for a resonably priced RUM or Lapua to come up for sale on the boards/gunbroker

Load development for my Savage in factory stock. Bedded just recoil lug warne one piece scope mount with Vortex Diamond back tactical 4-16 scope. 5 shot groups. I can handle this all day.
IMG-20200214-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20200214-WA0002.jpeg