• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage teams up with MDT

^Those look like 204 Ruger holes... smell the burnt paper? :D
I still only see Sixfive Creeds and 300 Winmags in stock. No mention of the Norma or PRC on Savage site either.

• Haha
Reactions: Doc68

Looks like some people are still feeling the effects of savagery.

I hate rails that are held on by screws. I use the cheap Weaver rails with a lug and glue them to the receiver of my Savage rifles. They don't move. Obviously a pinned, keyed, or integral rail is better, but functional is functional. I will not be gluing the pic rail to my TL3.

Looks like some people are still feeling the effects of savagery.

What rail?
What rings?
Proper torque?
Mounting method/sequence for rings and scope?
Point of failure?

Hard to blame savage with no pertinent data.

Not my video, but if you click in the comments he explains.
Your questions are kinda irrelevant. You can see the rail is moving from the action. So proper torque rings mounting method and point of failure is kinda a moot point. The point is with a savage, you have to remove the rail, clean them, use loctite, and torque to proper spec which the guy hasn't done because he thinks savage is quality.

It's easy to blame savage for this. @Corprin

@sleeplz

Incorrect, it is necessary information.

The rings have inserts, looking closer they are Burris Signature XTR. This means the kit comes with inserts to adjust alignment. What inserts were used to adjust the ring alignment? The rail isn’t aligning to the rear action ring when it’s deflected down. This leads me to believe the scope is pulling the cheap stock rail out of spec, which caused the failure.

- Savage could be the problem.
- Cheap aluminum rail could be the problem.
- bad ring alignment/install could be the problem.
- our of spec scope tube could be the problem.

These parts are a system and the quality of their install is as important as their individual tolerances. The action is machined from a chunk of steel bar stock, I’m sure it’s the most out of true.... right?

Too many variables, and unknowns to point a finger at Savage just because some don’t like them.

Last edited:
It sounds like you were asking questions that you already knew. Sounds like something my gf does.

But even you called it a cheap stock rail...

It sounds like you were asking questions that you already knew. Sounds like something my gf does.

But even you called it a cheap stock rail...

So your girlfriend knows how illogical your arguments are, and tries encouraging some basic-level critical thinking? Sounds like a keeper.

Though a reputable company, the EGW rail is aluminum. It is easily deflected by poorly aligned scope/rings.

Your kinda proving my point. You have to buy a EGW rail to put on a savage, it kinda gives you a clue. But you asking questions that you already have answers to is exactly what my gf does.

That rail looks loose and in need of bedding.
Something I’ve seen on savage and Remington rifles.

Fairly easy fix common to production rifles.

Last edited:
Your kinda proving my point. You have to buy a EGW rail to put on a savage, it kinda gives you a clue. But you asking questions that you already have answers to is exactly what my gf does.

The EGW aluminum rail comes from the factory on that rifle.

I had no clue. So I see the issue with savage putting the gun together on a Friday and not using proper torque or loctite. That's the quality issue I'm having here.

I had no clue. So I see the issue with savage putting the gun together on a Friday and not using proper torque or loctite. That's the quality issue I'm having here.

I didn’t know the details either until I started reading the reddit post, so I can’t hold that against you.

I don’t think this is necessarily confined to a lazy assembler, but I’m certainly not ruling it out.

When he deflects the scope rail back and forth in the .gif it never actually aligns/touches the rear ring of the action. Here is what I’m putting together from the limited data set and inferences based on knowledge and experience:

Rail is aluminum and was mounted at factory, left untouched by shooter by his account.

The right rear clamp is clearly not engaged very deeply on the rail, not as much as the left side.

The rings used are not precision items, and have plastic spacers to “adjust” the alignment of the scope about the rings and rail.

The scope is unknown, but we can assume it to be standard aluminum construction.

OP Says this is his first non-AR platform rifle, so I feel safe to assume the rings/scope were not from a previous mounting job.

Action is a rather stiff piece of steel.

I’d be willing to bet the rings are not properly aligned about the rail and scope tube. Either by mounting rings to scope before the rail, torquing individual times down before perfect alignment has been achieved, and not torquing in a stepped pattern.

Come to think about it. If he tried to add cant to the scope using the features of his rings, I could easily see this as the primary cause of his issues.

There is a lot of room to fuck up a mounting job there.

Direct from Savage
Factory-Blueprinted Actions - On select long-range and target rifles, Savage takes the extra step of individually truing and blueprinting its actions, much like a custom gunsmith would do. But we do it right in the factory before those rifles are even assembled.
Which is why I shoot no better with a atlas action and Kreiger barrel . Stainless steel is stainless steel to all who think Jim bob has any better of a stainless steel barrel as the barrel that’s in the elite precision . Now yea if u want goofy spirals or Barney dolls imprinted in barrel then a aftermarket place will do that .

So I got my savage elite 110 in 338 Lapua, after about 50 rounds the Rail did go loose, I then cleaned it and used some lock tight and I assume the problem is resolved from here on out.

Which is why I shoot no better with a atlas action and Kreiger barrel . Stainless steel is stainless steel to all who think Jim bob has any better of a stainless steel barrel as the barrel that’s in the elite precision . Now yea if u want goofy spirals or Barney dolls imprinted in barrel then a aftermarket place will do that .

So, I'm am fully confused with your statement of a semi-custom action and top shelf barrel to whatever low/mid-level factory option.

Not all stainless steel is the same, not all barrel manufacturers are the same, not all machinists are the same. Custom rifles dont just have goofy spirals (which I personally think are dumb as well). They have custom chambers, throats, leade's, crowns, bedding jobs, etc.

Just because you dont have the ability to fully exploit all the features of customization, and accuracy of your setup doesn't mean others don't.

Last edited:
I wonder what they do to “blueprint” the action.
2B9A5993-6C6F-4FD5-BAB1-E5B59298AF7C.gif